Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Ill have to wait and see how it all plays out in the game, i plan on being as dark side sith as i can possibly be, so it just depends on how romance will affect that.

Deleted
    If I get dark side progression from romance then its something I will do just to get the points. If I don't get a benefit from it, then simply put I won't bother with it.

I personally don't like romance in video games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cherry 2000 anyone?

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I'll ever be able to join the Jedi Council, that's for sure

I don't understand why romance is so important for some people. I mean, it's game after all. If you want romance, get a girl in RL.

Can anyone explain to me why romance is so important in a game for him/her ?
    Last edited by netwar_; 2011-11-03 at 03:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by netwar_ View Post
    I don't understand why romance is so important for some people. I mean, it's game after all. If you want romance, get a girl in RL.

I'm married and I find romancing companions in games fun. It's not SO important but it adds more depth to the story. And by reading the bolded part you answered your own question already.
    Of lips of splendor and tongues of deceit

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Playing the opposite gender is not because people are homophobic and do not care to stare at male ass all day. It's usually for aesthetic reasons.

I always played female toons in WoW because I hated male models, other than my male Worgen because I liked the male Worgen model. I feel differently about SWTOR, I like the male and female models so I'll have both males and females.

It's not because people are homophobic...
    I'm female and I usually play female characters out of convenience - but I sometimes like to take a male character, if this fits a story best. In either case, I have no problem with hetero- / homo- / bisexual relationships - it really depends on the character I play. I have played very promiscous characters of both genders (from the playful to the disturbed ones) as well as very chastous and prude ones (for very different reasons, depending on the concept).

I can understand the aesthetics argument, but I cannot quite understand, why a male cannot see the aesthetical aspect of a good-looking (or special and concept fitting) male character. I always thought, a (main) character is all about identification or character concept, not about sexual fantasies with that special character... oO In an action game, your characters are more or less the same as your action figures were back in the days, where children played with some.

Deleted

Can you explain why so many plays/books, movies & music is about love (both romantic & sexual)? Why would people read these books / watch those movies, and not just go out and get a girl IRL?

That you think that games cannot have a romantic theme to them is quite narrow minded. They don't all just have to be racing or shooters. The best thing about BW's games is that the romance part is totally optional, you actually have to work at it to get romantic with any of the characters. If you aren't trying, then usually you only end up to a certain level of friendliness. So you don't have to say to someone, "If you don't like it, don't play the game" instead you can have 90% of all the interaction with your companions and enjoy everything else the game has to offer, without having to go whole hog to get the romantic ending.

It adds a level of depth to a game that is regularly missing (who here is man enough to admit to shedding a tear at the end of disk 1 of Final Fantasy 7?). Speaking of which, FF7 is hands down the best of the series, not because of graphics or system (which were still great in their day) but because the characters were amazing, and you really felt for them.

Adding the option of romance to a game can greatly increase the immersion you feel in a game, can heighten the sense of success when you and your trusted companion defeat a particular boss. Lots of players will always have a favorite character, one that compliments their PC's (Like how Aeris/Aerith's magic ability complimented Cloud's physical ability) and they play with that one more than the rest. Adding romance spices up the otherwise utilitarian approach people would have towards their companion.

As a DK, I felt nothing for my ghoul, and would often smirk when I blew it up or sacrificed it for health, but I know a number of hunters that were really attached to their pet ("Big Red Kitty" springs to mind) and that would give them a lot more immersion (and romance options) while playing. I hope that the fact you can interact with you companion will make for a much more immersive experience while playing an MMO, something that has disappeared from WoW for me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    Can you explain why so many plays/books, movies & music is about love (both romantic & sexual)? Why would people read these books / watch those movies, and not just go out and get a girl IRL?
    That you think that games cannot have a romantic theme to them is quite narrow minded.
    Video games are not books, will you complain that we need more love in Tennis matches? people often go on a stride about "video games having story" but they are not books, and should not strive to be books.

Games with good story and shit gameplay are shity games and good stories, period.

Even beside the fact of romance, Bioware can never write a good romance in a game, no one can it's impossible if you want the CHOICE of romance, because romance is often not a single choice.

In real life you don't have OPTIONS you have CHANCES with romance.

---------- Post added 2011-11-04 at 07:21 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nienniora View Post
    Kaiden? You mean the always dead character? Hes dead!

To go back to you saying its a stupid option, I prefer that than getting any pokemon in my game.
    More option is better than anything else.
    Instead you get a terrible dating sim, I don't see that much better buddy, but I love how you assume I am some kind of Warcraft fanatic.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smashzu View Post
    I'll likely avoid it. I tend to roll female toons, and since I'm a straight guy and there's no same sex romance - I'll feel immensely creeped out romancing a guy.
    I usually roll male characters, but even if I rolled a female character, I may get her in a romance if the occasion presents itself. The story may be interesting. Afterall, I am not my character, I just play it.

Now concerning OP, I would probably avoid romance as a Jedi if it gives darkside points. For a Jedi, love is not a bad thing in itself, but it usually develops into a possessive and exclusive relation. Possessivity leads to the fear of losing that person, fear leads to jealousy, to hate, to the darkside. Well we saw it happen with Darth Vader afterall. It was not such a bad discipline, since it took 1000 years for the Sith to destroy the Jedi and it was not because of that that they fell either.

For my male Republic Trooper I'll explore the romance aspect with a female just to see how it works. My Jedi Consular will probably stay single, as I intend him to be fully light side.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    Instead you get a terrible dating sim, I don't see that much better buddy, but I love how you assume I am some kind of Warcraft fanatic.
    You assume he assumes things about you. And we all know what happens when we assume.

Video games are not books, will you complain that we need more love in Tennis matches? people often go on a stride about "video games having story" but they are not books, and should not strive to be books.

Games with good story and shit gameplay are shity games and good stories, period.

Even beside the fact of romance, Bioware can never write a good romance in a game, no one can it's impossible if you want the CHOICE of romance, because romance is often not a single choice.

You obviously look for gameplay in games. Some people look for story or romance. Most people look for a balance between them all. None is wrong, none is more right than the other. Romance in a game is like romance in a book, except in a game like SWTOR it's an interactive book. Either way, it's not real life, and most people that play games or read books know that. Doesn't make it any less of an enjoyable experience for those looking for it.

It's because it's assumed most Jedi are like Vulcans. It's not that you don't feel emotion - you do. But absolute control over those emotions is the standard. If you deviate from the standard, it's because of a weak will, or bad training. Either way, succumbing to emotion is not the Jedi way, and if you fail to control your emotions you either seek help in controlling them, or you fall to the dark side.

It's hard for people living in a Western culture of sexual promiscuity and consumerism to understand, where instant gratification and pleasure-seeking is the norm. But the theory behind Vulcans and Jedi is that they derive their gratification differently, by delaying short-term pleasure and suppressing emotional responses, in favor of logical decision making and actions that are based on benefiting the greater good.

It's a stupid option added for those Bioware forum goers who wanted to know what Tali's sweat tasted like.

The romances are ALWAYS the lowest of Bioware's writing. The sooner they can get out of this high school fanfiction style phase the sooner they can get back to developing good characters who are not Kaiden clones.

and heres your answer...

That you think that games cannot have a romantic theme to them is quite narrow minded.
    Not only that but half or more then half of every song out there is about some sort of love/romance. Romance is a part of everyday life for almost everyone, to ignore it would be ignorant and make a game incomplete. If romance in games is such an unnessecary thing maybe you should stick to games like Jenga or Simon says, or if you need a computer game play a writen code line game, solitaire or minesweeper (don't be tempted to the dark side though and believe you are protecting a country or person you love by sweeping for mines because that would be wrong right?.)

---------- Post added 2011-11-04 at 07:21 PM ----------

If an opinion can ever be considered outright wrong this would be it. Why did you come to this forum or play games at all if you are just gonna insult it and people who like quality games? So many games out there have romance. Final Fantasy is a massively popular series and only a rare few have no romance (Crystal Chronicles is one of the only ones and that's not even one of the most popular). Probably for every 1 video game without romance there are 2 more with it. By bashing romance in a game you are bashing most of the video games out there and certainly the RPG genre. Many of Bioware games are about choice and to not have that choice and force a romance option would be wrong. Instead you go around bashing with silly reasons against an option in a game to have options of romance.

I don't like romance being crammed down my throat sometimes but this game isn't, it's a choice yet you feel the need to question why the developers added it after years of confirmation from many of their players that it is a good part of their games that made them what they are.

No one is forcing you to do it, don't be sour because some people want a better gaming experience and are more open minded then you and your romance avoiding life. You say "a terrible dating sim" does that leave the possibility of "a good dating sim" to exist? because your negative and narrow point of view would suggest not, so why even say that?

It's your opinion that they are written badly but that doesn't make it law, many people would disagree. Again you can just choose not to if you feel that way, the people who like it aren't strapping you to your seat and forcing your fingers to click the flirting options. Only you are the one making the decision to be negative against people who want to choose otherwise. Lastly netware outright said it and The fiend hinted on itbut you two stress romance is not a choice in real life yet you suggest that everyone snap their fingers and get their fill of romance in RL (suggesting that people who choose to do so in video games are lonely losers who don't understand love/passion/romance and don't already have relationships). Get off your high horses people...

Anyways more on topic and away from the silliness brought by a few closed off people. I will probably peruse some romantic options in the game if I feel they are done legitimately enough. I'm sure with so many options over so many classes they will have something for everyone, so I'll probably avoid the emotionless, lust filled, one-night-stand-like "romances" that so many people I find annoying in real life have and actually try for the ones that have a personal connection between the characters past pure lust.
    Last edited by Argroth; 2011-11-05 at 06:06 PM.
    Biowares Go-to Plan:
    - Offer something for free
    - Change mind and charge for it
    - ALWAYS MAKE SURE YOUR WORK HAS BUGS
    - Never fix bugs and give crappy CS.

Deleted
    1. Recruit only female companions
    2. Sway them
    3. ???
    4. Harem

Deleted
    Video games are not books, will you complain that we need more love in Tennis matches?
    You don't watch enough tennis. What do you call when someone wins a game 40-0? How do they say it, "40-?"

Yeah, tennis has plenty of love.

10+ Year Old Account
    You don't watch enough tennis. What do you call when someone wins a game 40-0? How do they say it, "40-?"

Jinna 1 - The Fiend 0
    Of lips of splendor and tongues of deceit

10+ Year Old Account

That was pretty awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    No human partner for me. Like I said before, in Bioware games I always go after the aliens.
    "I'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints." --Billy Joel

"When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down "happy". They told me I didn’t understand the assignment, and I told them they didn’t understand life.” --John Lennon

not interested in that, crap shouldnt be in games tbh but thats my opinion.