Thread: i5 2500k OC

i5 2500k OC

hey guys this is an overclocking question and please don't give me a link to some overclocking guide i've read multiple guides on it, but they all tell me to disable the turbo boost or any other overclocking programes before overclocking the bios, so my question is how do i disable that? i have it twin turbo boosted to 4.0ghz now thats just with my motherboards CPU overclock option, do i set this back to default or disable it completely? and if so how do i disable it completely? the programe is gigabytes smart 6, smart quickboost, thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Heya, I use Gigabyte EasyTune 6 and I have a i5 2500k on a Z68 board.

What the EasyTune and Quickboost do IS overclock Via the BIOS using windows that why it needs to reboot before the settings take effect, what is it that your trying to Achieve?

My current OC results are below with the CPU-Z report :P

i was wanting a steady 4.2, to my understand the turbo boost through smart 6 only throttles its to 4.0 when it needs to be? it doesnt really matter i just want to learn this stuff, i dont do anything to need 4.0+ anyways

You >don't< disable the turbo boost. You just adjust the turbo boost multiplier.
    By default your cpu is 3.3ghz, with 3.7ghz turbo boost.
    After an overclock to 4.2, it becomes 3.3ghz with a 4.2ghz turbo boost.
    Just change the current multiplier (should be 40 if the program set it to 4ghz) to 42 in the bios and you should be set.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

The Sandy Bridges are the easiest to OC that ive seen. All you have to do is push like 3 buttons and your done.

Quote Originally Posted by Luciferstwin View Post
    The Sandy Bridges are the easiest to OC that ive seen. All you have to do is push like 3 buttons and your done.
    yeah with smart quick boost, but i was told doing it manuelly through the bios is better and please don't come and troll on how easy it is/how good you are at it, im new to this stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleetuss View Post
    i was wanting a steady 4.2, to my understand the turbo boost through smart 6 only throttles its to 4.0 when it needs to be?
    Yes, it throttles it down when it doesn't need the 'horsepower'. There's no reason to run consistently at any speed, especially an overclocked 4GHz+, when that speed isn't needed. That's how it used to be -- overclocked systems generated tons of extra heat and sucked extra power because of it, whether you needed the speeds or not. Now we run cool and slow when we are doing basic tasks while maintaining the ability to ramp up to high-GHz speeds when our systems are under heavy load. Best of both worlds.

yeah with smart quick boost, but i was told doing it manuelly through the bios is better and please don't come and troll on how easy it is/how good you are at it, im new to this stuff.
    I wasnt trolling. Doing it manually literally takes 3 clicks.

Quote Originally Posted by Llunai View Post
    Yes, it throttles it down when it doesn't need the 'horsepower'. There's no reason to run consistently at any speed, especially an overclocked 4GHz+, when that speed isn't needed. That's how it used to be -- overclocked systems generated tons of extra heat and sucked extra power because of it, whether you needed the speeds or not. Now we run cool and slow when we are doing basic tasks while maintaining the ability to ramp up to high-GHz speeds when our systems are under heavy load. Best of both worlds.
    Ah, thankyou for that pretty much what i wanted to hear, i was only maxing at 48C with this max turbo boost it peaks at about 4.2 so i was wondering if i could go more, but it really doesnt matter as i dont do anything to require it lol, thanks for the info

Ah, thankyou for that pretty much what i wanted to hear, i was only maxing at 48C with this max turbo boost it peaks at about 4.2 so i was wondering if i could go more, but it really doesnt matter as i dont do anything to require it lol, thanks for the info
    You can get alot higher. Look in my sig.

You can get alot higher. Look in my sig.
    Don't know if it's a good idea to recommend a rookie to do such a high overclock lol...
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    Don't know if it's a good idea to recommend a rookie to do such a high overclock lol...
    This was my first over clock

This was my first over clock
    you're crazy boi!
    Btw what cooler do you use?

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    you're crazy boi!
    Btw what cooler do you use?
    Na, im serious. lol This way my first overclock :P
    Im using a Corsair H70 atm

i keep turbo boost on.

currently i have a 2600k at 3.0 ghz standard, 5.2 turbo, the whole system cooled by an thermal-electric setup (keeps cpu under 0 degrees C at all times). basically what this does is it speeds up the CPU to stupid fast when playing games, but doesn't burn it out by keeping it at super high clocks. just played BF3 for 3+ hours and after shut down cpu is at -3 degrees i've seen people with setup go to 5.9 ghz but i plan on keeping this chip for longer then a month ... also mobo might catch fire

15+ Year Old Account
    im running mine on 4.4ghz with a noctua dh-14 cooling it with unchanged voltage and its stable