Deleted

SSD size for OS and games

I'm about to build a computer for the first time and after doing some research i've decided to use a SSD for my OS and games.

The only thing i'm unsure about is the size, i would like to have my OS, wow, SC2 and D3 on it just to speed things up but how big should it minimum be to store all is?

Also link some that you would recommend.

And lastly i'm also going to use Fraps and since i wont spend 300$ on a SSD, could i use a 2TB HDD to store it on and still get great pics from it? i've heard something about this isn't the best idea and it wont allow for 1080p but i'm not sure about this.

Hope your great minds are willing to help a bro in doubt.

80GB bare minimum(it will fit WoW,SC2 and OS for sure, but not sure on size on D3)..I would get 120+GB to be on the safe side of things.

Yep, 90-120GB is going to be 'enough'. Anything less than that and you will not fit in multiple games there.

Getting slowest/cheapest possible HDD like WD Caviar Green is not good idea for video capture, as it is bit too slow for that.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Yup there are also ways to keep that size down, by moving the "Users" folder and "Program Files" to another drive. There's tutorials on google on how to do that.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use the Intel 510 series, with 120GB. Thats plenty for OS, WOW + 1-2 games more (Starcraft and BF3). Dont see a need for more.

120GB would be enough for a while, though if you're thinking about new games then you should be looking for something larger.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Ok so 120/128 GB should be enough but what about the Fraps? is 7200 rpm enough to not slow everything down?

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Azome View Post
    Ok so 120/128 GB should be enough but what about the Fraps? is 7200 rpm enough to not slow everything down?
    7200RPM is perfect. I have fraps'd plenty of times during raids and it was perfect, just do it at 30fps.... 60 fps will make you go, "HOLY SHIT WHERE'D MY STORAGE SPACE GO?!?!!!"
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    7200RPM is perfect. I have fraps'd plenty of times during raids and it was perfect, just do it at 30fps.... 60 fps will make you go, "HOLY SHIT WHERE'D MY STORAGE SPACE GO?!?!!!"
    I know that feeling, first time i shot 60 sec i thought it was a fail that it took that much space but thanks! properly gonna buy one SSD for os and 2 2TB HDD

Pandaren Monk
    15+ Year Old Account
    I have 120gb one and I have like 7gb of free space. Though I have The Witcher 2, BF:BC2, Warhammer 40k: Space Marines, Starcraft 2, World of Warcraft and BF3 beta on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    120-128GB should be enough for OS, WOW, some programs, and 1-3 more games.
    English is not my mainspec!

Quote Originally Posted by Azome View Post
    And lastly i'm also going to use Fraps and since i wont spend 300$ on a SSD, could i use a 2TB HDD to store it on and still get great pics from it? i've heard something about this isn't the best idea and it wont allow for 1080p but i'm not sure about this.
    If you're talking about frapsing WoW, basically any HDD would work fine, as long as it's not the primary drive. Though, I wouldn't recommend a too cheap option, but any 2Tb HDD would (probably) work fine. I'm using a 1Tb WD Caviar Green, never had any issues with it whatsoever. I don't know how the traffic to the HDD changes by frapsing more graphic intense games, so can't answer how it'd affect stuff like BF3 frapsing.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Getting slowest/cheapest possible HDD like WD Caviar Green is not good idea for video capture, as it is bit too slow for that.
    I'm using a WD Caviar Green 1TB (almost 2 years old by now), and it works perfectly fine for fraps. Results are in my sig, the HDD is far from the bottleneck when I'm recording (M2N68-AM PLUS and GT240 says hi). Using a 2Tb version will only be faster. But I divide that harddrive into sections (no, not partitions, but that'd probably work just as well), and make sure I keep first 1/5 or so completely empty for fastest FRAPS performance. No idea how it would behave at the end of the HDD, but if you ask me, no matter what drive you use for backup/FRAPS, it'd be less than ideal to allow FRAPS run through the contents of the drive, completely fragmenting the recording.

Personally it depends on which games you play/ plan to play etc, I'd pick something that's atleast 120GB + Just to be on the safe side

I just picked up a 128GB, I feel that it will do the trick for some time.