Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    FF1: a bit difficult, and not much story, but fun regardless(save often!)
    FF2: This one is a bit annoying, as it does not use level, but random boost from skill using(Using spell raise INT and MP (and spell level) but lower STR for exemple. It makes "levelling" anoying. Play only if you are a bit hardcore and completionist. It's the same system used in the gameboy ones(Legends 1-2-3), although the gameboy one worked better for some reasons.
    FF3: This one is fun, the first using a job system(also used in FF5-X(2) also.) It's pretty good one for the NES or the remake on the DS. Can be a bit difficult at times but still alright.

FF4: Decent game, but there is something(that I still can't put my finger on) that never made me love the game. Finished it but, always kind of annoyed at the end.
    FF5: Great game, using the job system. This one is just fun when you just play to finish, and as quite a couple sidequests too.
    FF6: For me, the best of the best. I love Kefka, he steals the show. Your characters are all nice too, each with totally different abilities. Awsome music scores too. Actually easily the best musical score of all the FF. Others have good ones, but FF6 as the most memorable one I think.

FF7: Great game also, a bit long sometimes, but I just love the battle system. I never got bored of it(Unlike with some other FF.) The Simple 3d graphics are fun to look at too I think. Only thing that always bothered me is, no armor. Only upgrades comes from new weapons, bracers and leveling your char or materials. Materials are an interresting concept though. Good story also.
    FF8: This one, is the only game where NOT leveling = EASIER. That alone makes it not so fun.(Nothing like one shotting a lvl 10 omega with a single Lionheart. What a disapointment). And also, NOT leveling is very easy to do, since boss gives no XP, and it's easy to run or card everything. The triad game though is alot of fun for me, but that's only a mini/side game. Two things killed the game for me though: The sidequests aren't that fun, gives very poor rewards most of the time, or are very cryptic without a guide. Other thing is they are very easy to miss. Second thing that killed it is the litttle chocobo herlper game. It just gives you all the items to have the best setup like at the first part of CD2(I think) whenever you can first get to a chocobo forest. Sadly, makes things totally too easy(add in the no leveling and .. yeah no fun).
    FF9: This game, play LAST. Play all FF 1 to 8, THEN play 9, and if you have any sense of nostalgia, 9 will be an incredibly great and awesome game(Specially after the little sideway FF7 and 8 took). It's so filled with nostalgia and spoof from the previous games(specially FF1), it made it awesome for me. Also the gear/skill learning in this game is pretty nice(They ended up recycling it for FFTactic Advance and FFTA2. AWesome. But play it last, not first.

FFX: Very linear game until near the very end. Lots of interresting things. The internationnal verion may be more fun with the bonus boss fights, but *shrug*. It's great visually, but the Battle systems ended up pissing me off. Having to switch to all your char every fight so everyone gets xp gets boring very fast.
    FFX-2: I played this one before X actually.(I though it was a different game heh) I liked it alot personall. It's very chearry and happy and all that. Not so dark or serious. Has New game +(always nice to have), and use the Job System. You can play this first without problem(Before X more specificly). I liked it.
    FFXII(11 is mmo). I hated this one. Mostly because of the chain things, kinda forcing you to skip most to keep your chain going, which is really the only way to get drops for money(and only source of money most of them time). And that is VERY anoying, specially with the weird realtime based combat system(and your 2 ally usually doesn't help you with that, attacking anything in sight). Otherwise, not that difficult if you just finish the game, it,s lenghy though, and I never even felt like doing the side quests(unlke ALL other FF). If that sais anything.

FFXIII: Never played, all I heard was: it's a single path from start to finish, no towns, the end. Doesn't sound too fun. :/

Recommendations: Start with FF1(Specially the GB remake, uses MP instead of Charges for magic, but both are good. GB has sidequests though) or 6(Pure awesomeness), or even 7(Very symplified item list over all, might be easier if it's your first ever JRPG).
    Second choices would be: X, X-2, 4 or 5. (All nice).
    Play last: 9(Not because it's not fun, it's my second favorite after 6(easily beats 7 in my book), but because it gets even more fun the more you know the other FF I think). and 3. I think 5 is more fun then 3 for a job system based FF.(X-2 story fits in with X so it's a bit difficult for me to split those 2).
    Skip unless you want to play the all: 2, 8 and 12.

There I type too much
    CATA BETA CLUB!
    HearthStone BETA CLUB!

Quote Originally Posted by skrump View Post
    Well that was quite obvious when he claimed 7 was the best,
    Anyone who has played the entire series will tell you that ff3 (or 6 depending on your region) was the best Final fantasy title ever released.

Think that is because everything from 7 onward just turned into a little emo schoolgirls wet dream type of fantasy world.
    Other than 9 anyway which looked like it was designed for preschoolers but was actually had one of the better storylines in the entire series.

Just don't play 8 as it's final fantasy without the fantasy.
    I disagree entirely. I have played the entire series, even beaten FF6, and I can't stand that game. There is not one character I like, and I feel like I'm leading the herp derp squad with how they go about fighting Kefka and the empire. I also hate the massive amount of scripted, "boss battles" that are basically just interactive cutscenes where your characters suck and lose.

Okay okay, I exaggerate a little bit. Mog was cool, everyone else in that game though... Please don't think that everyone that disagrees with your opinion is simply ignorant and uninformed. I've played the game all the way through twice, and played it partway through about 5 times, and I just cannot see what is so great about 6.

Everyone always goes on about how totally boss Kefka is, but I always feel like the only reason he gets as far as he does is because your characters don't have one brain cell between all of them. I mean, nobody stopped, thought about the situation, and said, "Golly gee guys, opening the land of the Espers for the empire that's been known to exploit Espers for warfare purposes seems like a bad idea!"

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Okay I hope that nobody shoots me for saying this, but I have never played a Final Fantasy game.
    I don't know anything about them. I've never really had the opportunity to play one, really. I've just never done it.

But I am certainly interested in it now that I am not really committed to any game at the moment. But there are so many Final Fantasy games, I'm a little overwhelmed and don't know where to start! Does it matter which game I choose to play first? Is there any particular game that every Final Fantasy fan should play? Which is the best one? Graphics aren't an issue for me, so if the first game is really the best one, I'll play it. I just could really use the advice. I'm pretty stuck.
    Sorry for dropping in late to the party.

First off (not even sure you'll see this) what kind of Final Fantasy are you looking for?
    What are you craving in a game? Then I'll know.

Basically, everyone is going to have a different opinion on which Final Fantasy is the best.

Personally (as seen by my Avatar) I think FFIX is the best because of the amazing characters and jaw dropping plot.

Then again, you may enjoy 6, 7, 8 or 10! Just give any one of them a go, each one is great.

But yeah, if you want MY honest opinion? FFIX is the way to go for reasons I've already quoted above. But I know people will disagree with me, what with 7 having the largest fanbase.
    Last edited by Clempson; 2011-10-02 at 10:16 AM.

Any of FF7-8-9, they are all good. But if you want a really beautiful and addictive storyline, play FF9. I promise you it will bind you to the screen.

Deleted
    Just do this and you won't be disappointed -

Start with FFVII, then if you liked it, play 8, 9 and 10 in order.

Don't bother playing FFXIII, it's terrible, the game is just one long cut scene, occasionally you have to run from A to B to trigger the next cut scene.

I guess I'm the ultra-small minority that actually enjoyed XIII

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I disagree entirely. I have played the entire series, even beaten FF6, and I can't stand that game. There is not one character I like, and I feel like I'm leading the herp derp squad with how they go about fighting Kefka and the empire. I also hate the massive amount of scripted, "boss battles" that are basically just interactive cutscenes where your characters suck and lose.

Okay okay, I exaggerate a little bit. Mog was cool, everyone else in that game though... Please don't think that everyone that disagrees with your opinion is simply ignorant and uninformed. I've played the game all the way through twice, and played it partway through about 5 times, and I just cannot see what is so great about 6.

Everyone always goes on about how totally boss Kefka is, but I always feel like the only reason he gets as far as he does is because your characters don't have one brain cell between all of them. I mean, nobody stopped, thought about the situation, and said, "Golly gee guys, opening the land of the Espers for the empire that's been known to exploit Espers for warfare purposes seems like a bad idea!"
    sooo, you played the game fully twice, and tried to play it fully at least 5 other times(getting mid way).. annd you can't stand the game? how many time have you played fully your "favorite" or the "best" FF then?

for someone who doesn't stand FF6, you sure play it often. (and for long times).

Also, second thing I wanted to say, the MAIN issue of FF8 is, the whole battle system:
    You are suppose to draw magic to junction, but you draw 0-9 magic each time, and you have a max of 100. you need 3 piles of 100 at least(3 characters) and far far more if you can do upgrades.(But can't draw the upgrade yet). That means everytime you face an ennemy with an ???(yet unknown) Spell, you will usually spend 5-10 minutes drawing 300 of them, slowly. But then, because you junction the best spells(For the best stats) that means you can never use the best spells(Or most spells, since you are limited in how many you can hold), unless you draw it directly from the mob/boss, since using your spells means, getting weaker(and there is a big drop from 100 to 99 too in stat change).

That alone is a big detriment, but to add to that, GF summons takes forever(Because of Boost, need time for it, but even if you don't boost, very very very long casting sequence). Overal making fights drag and get very boring. Then you find all the cheesy way to win fights, and the strongest team,(Usually your only 3 with 255 hit), and just plow through everything. Add in carding, which makes many ennemy easier to defeat(30k hp? NP, you can be carded with 25k left!). Mugging(No steal!) prevents drops(so you gotta choose, drop or mug). Finaly add in the fact it's far easier at lower level(Mobs have a similar level(even boss) then your average, so lvl 10 boss are super easy usually without having all their spells/ability). All of it makes it overlly anoying. The concept was interresting, but it's overly very badly made in the end. It works for story telling but...

*sighs*, kind of a waste in the end.
    Last edited by Jawstrock; 2011-10-02 at 10:24 AM.
    CATA BETA CLUB!
    HearthStone BETA CLUB!

Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Just curious, did you play the other FF's?
    I bought XIII with high expectations, but sadly, it just didn't feel like a Final Fantasy. I disliked the characters, the new combat was awful, and the tubes and tunnels made me want to pick off my nails one by one. PAINFULLY.

Nothing against you for liking it, It just really didn't feel like a Final Fantasy to me.

Deleted
    I've found that people who like to follow storylines in depth enjoyed it more, whereas I only follow them to the extent that I know roughly what's going on. So the long cutscenes just bored me really.

Quote Originally Posted by Jawstrock View Post
    how many time have you played fully your "favorite" or the "best" FF then?
    I know not directed at me... but I've done full playthroughs of FF8, 4 times :P (First time through, 100% Completion run, 2 challenge runs)
    Quote Originally Posted by Teffi
    You play a game for 20+ hours a week and you're "an addict".
    You sit on your fat ass eating nachos and watching men in tight pants throw a ball around for 20+ hours a week and you're "a man".
    Sometimes, I just can't even:
    Quote Originally Posted by Nixx
    It's just an assertion, so it's neither logical nor illogical.

Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post
    I bought XIII with high expectations, but sadly, it just didn't feel like a Final Fantasy. I disliked the characters, the new combat was awful, and the tubes and tunnels made me want to pick off my nails one by one. PAINFULLY.

Nothing against you for liking it, It just really didn't feel like a Final Fantasy to me.
    It was the same for me, the first FF I played was 10 then I went back to play 8, 7 and tactics, I thought they were great.

I really couldn't get into XIII either, I loathed the combat system it was dreadful. I also couldn't get into the new era setting for final fantasy initially it looked and felt more like a sci-fi.

Quote Originally Posted by Clempson View Post

Finished VII and Mystic Quest (lolol, I know), working on XII now and I've played through parts of XIII and X. I agree that the setup wasn't typical of FF games as it was as linear as linear gaming can get and had a combat system that could be as passive or more passive than the combat system from XII (I actually liked paradigm shifting as a combat mechanic, and setting up different comps for different things), and the difference is part of the reason I enjoyed it so much I think. That and I actually really enjoyed the story and the way it was told (it played more like a movie, with short segments where you needed to do something before getting back to watching the movie).

Finished VII and Mystic Quest (lolol, I know), working on XII now and I've played through parts of XIII and X. I agree that the setup wasn't typical of FF games as it was as linear as linear gaming can get and had a combat system that could be as passive or more passive than the combat system from XII (I actually liked paradigm shifting as a combat mechanic, and setting up different comps for different things), and the difference is part of the reason I enjoyed it so much I think. That and I actually really enjoyed the story and the way it was told (it played more like a movie, with short segments where you needed to do something before getting back to watching the movie).
    Heh, that's fair enough.
    My first FF was IX, and that basically settled what all Final Fantasies should aspire to be, so I'm a little bit biased to be honest.

Don't get me wrong! FF6, FF7, 8, 10 and 11 I still absolutely love, and yes, those were great Final Fantasies, but...

IX was perfect for me. :P

(I'll stop brown nosing FFIX now, I promise!)

I have played them all and anyone who says 7+ was the best clearly never played FF6. Final Fantasy 6 (or three in the US on snes), was one of the best RPGS ever made and not just in this series alone. FF4 (or two in the US on snes) was also an amazing game. I don't think any other game in this series came close to those two games. After those two I would recomend Final Fantasy 5 as it was a very enjoyable play that was just a bit different playstyle than the other two mentioned.

lol turn based combat, crappy game is crappy

Please don't post if you can't contribute or be constructive. -Seam
    Last edited by seam; 2011-10-02 at 11:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonte912 View Post
    Did we really need your opinion on the subject?

Final fantasy 7 has not aged well at all, the story is too short (average 20 hour playthrough to max materia and stuff).
    For me Final fantasy X is the best game without a question. Great story, great music, great battle system and a lot of stuff to do in the game (current save file is 140 hours).
    The second best game for me is FF8. Best story in any FF game (for me it beats even FF6).

I am also one of the few people that liked FF13. If you can't play the game without expecting a regular FF game you will not be able to enjoy it. You have to take it for what it is. A good RPG game more in line with Mass Effect then FF. It's all about the story in that game so if you dont pay attention to the story you wont like it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jonte912 View Post
    Shows what you know, from IV onwards it was ATB-based, not turn based.

10+ Year Old Account
    Final Fantasy IX is the best FF imo, and one of the best games ever created. Too bad the start is better than the end (story-wise).

Deleted
    I've mostly only played the final fantasy games after 10 and I'd pretty much recommend all of them, but you should definatly take a look at the Tactics series of games if your into that sort of gameplay. The original FF Tactics which has been ported to psp is really good and gets so much better as you progress. The two more recent ones FF Tactics Advance and A2 are also quality esepcially A2, spent so so much time playing that last year.