Very High Cpu temps...New to computers

Hey guys i recently built my own computer. I am running a Intel I5 2500k and watching my temps right after start up im at about 86C. This does not make
    any sense to me at all. I really have no idea whats going on. I believe the cpu comes with the thermal paste already installed since the guy at the store did
    not give me any. Could it be an outdated BIOS?
    Thanks,
    Gumby

Did you install the heatsink on the CPU or did the guy at the store?

10+ Year Old Account
    The stock Intel heatsinks come with thermal paste on the cooler. All you do is place the cooler on your chip and tighten it.

Those temps are wayyyy too high. Boot into bios and check your vcore/other voltages to make sure none are astronomical. If those look fine, take off the heatsink, wipe the old thermal paste off using 99% alcohol, and apply your own thermal paste. If that doesn't help, chances are you got a defective chip and need to look to return/RMA it.

Edit: Temp readings could also just be wrong. Are you just looking at the "CPU" temp reading(actual name varies), or are you looking at the four individual core temps? What are you using to monitor the temps? Download Real Temp / CPUID HW Monitor if you're not, then get back to us.
    Last edited by Arisfarreach; 2011-10-02 at 04:59 PM.

Heatsink installed wrong, or the fan on the heatsink not working.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

I just downloaded a widget called coretemp...its reading around 34C..Im thinking the program i had at first was buggin out. I was using speedfan so maybe its not the best application for the job.
    Hopefully this one is reading the right temps.Now back to BF3 beta...hopefully doesnt crash.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
    I just downloaded a widget called coretemp...its reading around 34C..Im thinking the program i had at first was buggin out. I was using speedfan so maybe its not the best application for the job.
    Hopefully this one is reading the right temps.Now back to BF3 beta...hopefully doesnt crash.
    I can see how Speedfan could be difficult to read the right temp, it can get kinda confusing with the namings.

But Core Temp is legit and will give you the individual core temps. 34C sounds a lot better.