Thread: Computer desk

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Well I would not have put a monitor there, that would be an odd position, don't you think? But thank you for the tip, I'll definitely consider that when I go shortly here.
    I'm looking for a glass desk that I used to have and I fall in love with it and its the best glass desk I ever had.

Two issues with the desk that you found:

1. The curve corner. It doesn't have good support and I considered it a waste of space if you're not going to place any monitor or semi heavy things on it.

2. The suction that holds the glass top. The glass top is not screwed in as it have rubber suction that holds it on. Not my idea of secured desk.

HOWEVER....

This one is PERFECT!

I'm trying to find the name of the brand of this desk but its one of the best. No weak corner and the glass top is screwed on the desk itself.

Glass is flimsy, gets dirty easy, and truly looks like an object specifically for coke heads. Avoid glass.

Found it but seems they don't make it anymore but no worry! Its under the same company and they changed the design a bit.

Here the link for it under Z-line design company:

http://www.z-lineracing.com/product/...i-Glass-L-Desk

Edited to add picture.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moshic View Post
    That staples website keeps asking me for zip codes.. I'm not from N America. >_>
    Asking me as well. We don't have zip codes in Canada (and our postal codes don't have the same number of digits as zip codes).

Heh you could just do what I do and hook your computer up to the tv and play with the keyboard on your lap. Granted, using the mouse on the couch cushion kinda reduces your quickness in PvP. And you have to balance the keyboard on your lap and not move your legs. Wow... I really need to get a desk -_-'

15+ Year Old Account
    First off, DON'T get a glass desk. EVER.

Second, I don't get why people go all crazy on desks.. What you linked is not a desk, it's a freaking Transformer. I use this VERY simple IKEA desk http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...36/#/90214308/ and it works out FINE. Takes up VERY little space, it's modern and it looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcilux View Post
    http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20111323/

Goliat from IKEA or any from the Micke Collection (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...9?pageNumber=2), if you have one near you. Personally I've been spending a lot of time looking at Staples, they have some really good desks for cheap. The ones I have been looking at are a bit more expensive, but enough room for two monitors and a printer (my requirements) without taking up a lot of space.

http://www.staples.com/Bush-Portsmou...duct-nr_773493
    I had the Goliat before, and I wouldn't recommend it. First off, if you (OP) are anything like me you need the desk for work space, and computer space, seeing as the desk you linked is pretty big. Secondly, the Goliat is kind of cramped on leg room in my case which became a major pain in the butt, and finally the sliding keyboard tray stopped working and it was a big hassle to have to wiggle it loose every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lustinus View Post
    First off, DON'T get a glass desk. EVER.

Second, I don't get why people go all crazy on desks.. What you linked is not a desk, it's a freaking Transformer. I use this VERY simple IKEA desk http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...36/#/90214308/ and it works out FINE. Takes up VERY little space, it's modern and it looks good.
    Yeah some dislike it cus of scratch or get dirty easy. I'm an OCD person myself so the desk is always clean

YES.... its a freaking transformer cus its kinda heavy but VERY sturdy. I looked up on your recommended desk style and I like it but would have it in black and 69 dollars?! Guess I spent too much money on a desk hehe

Im not sure about other location than North America but in some states in USA, we don't even have IKEA.

Quote Originally Posted by Onestring View Post
    MDF, Tools. Done =D

Seriously if you can or know someone who can make you one its seriously cheap. I have a large corner desk that's fitted to the space and must have cost me no more then £25 ($38)
    Same, made a corner desk out of a single sheet of marine plywood. Varnished it up, screwed it together. Cost about £30 (£20 for the wood, £10 for the woodstain / varnish). The corner I cut off, I turned upside down and mounted under the main desk to provide a shelf to take all the power leads, switches, router etc, and tidy it all out of the way. More than enough room for 3 monitors and 2 PCs.
    Gorbag - Elemental Shaman since Nov 2004
    Raider of Logic Tarren Mill EU

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frostx View Post
    Yeah some dislike it cus of scratch or get dirty easy. I'm an OCD person myself so the desk is always clean

YES.... its a freaking transformer cus its kinda heavy but VERY sturdy. I looked up on your recommended desk style and I like it but would have it in black and 69 dollars?! Guess I spent too much money on a desk hehe

Im not sure about other location than North America but in some states in USA, we don't even have IKEA.
    http://info.ikea-usa.com/StoreLocator/StoreLocator.aspx, there are 38 stores apparently. Dunno if one is close to you. Only bad thing about Ikea is the fact that you have to make it yourself.

Deleted
    O.o
    ...... get a desk

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    what you need is a 6 foot banquet table, they are cheap and already assembled

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Got this: http://www.staples.com/TechniMobili-...:StaplesSearch

I must say, I was looking at it in the store and I felt it was pretty sturdy, and though it has little leg room, I think I'll manage, and I may just be able to take out the bottom right part that would hold smaller towers.... my HAF X won't fit. >_> hehe
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

The simplest desk w/ be the best decision w/ the amount of money you want to spend, if you try to purchase too fancy a desk on a mere $100 budget you will likely end up w/ a fancy P.O.S. that will break and/or fall apart w/in a year! When it comes to furniture 90% of the time you get what you pay for and if you aren't willing to pay much or just can't do to budget the odds of getting a well built intricate desk are slim, but, the chances of getting a well built simple desk are much, much better! Gratz on finally being able to get one and Good Luck in finding one that will work out for you!

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deatheryn View Post
    The simplest desk w/ be the best decision w/ the amount of money you want to spend, if you try to purchase too fancy a desk on a mere $100 budget you will likely end up w/ a fancy P.O.S. that will break and/or fall apart w/in a year! When it comes to furniture 90% of the time you get what you pay for and if you aren't willing to pay much or just can't do to budget the odds of getting a well built intricate desk are slim, but, the chances of getting a well built simple desk are much, much better! Gratz on finally being able to get one and Good Luck in finding one that will work out for you!
    Thanks man I appreciate it.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Its called Ikea!

Got mine for like 60 bucks.

Its not the typical, piece of shit, you get from Ikea either. Its pretty sturdy and holds everything I have. I was using a plastic picnic table before this. XD

Ty Lust for the Ikea Catalog!

Heres mine. I love it. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40180037/
    Last edited by silentk59; 2011-10-03 at 05:39 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by silentk59 View Post
    Its called Ikea!

Got mine for like 60 bucks.

Its not the typical, piece of shit, you get from Ikea either. Its pretty sturdy and holds everything I have. I was using a plastic picnic table before this. XD

Ty Lust for the Ikea Catalog!

Heres mine. I love it. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40180037/
    This desk actually looks quite practical. IKEA stuff is usually kinda gross and is mainly bought for rez rooms, but every now and then you find something decent.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    This is my desk, made in grade 11 shop class. solid oak top and drawer fronts, and oak veneer particle board for the sides. Had it for about 8 years now and i love it

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/.../DSCN02861.jpg

For my millions of moves, in the Army so move every two, I have an easy to pack desk.
    It is just some home made saw-horses (stained with polyurethane top coat) and a hollow core plain door (also painted and polyurethane coated). If you want drawers, you can just pickup some rolling cabinets at Target or Wallmart. The saw-horses are nice as I have built shelves into the space and have pegboard mounted on the bottom of the top for wire management. Packs up like a champ, 3 moves so far and no problems. Also with a second desk, you have options to make large workspaces, L-desks, or desk and cadenza layouts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Grats, my friend! New desk and chair were the two most important upgrades for when I built my new rig. :-P

Looks like a very solid desk.

15+ Year Old Account
    If you are still considering the glass desk, I can tell you; If you do manage to break it by merely sound, I'll tip my hat to you and promise free coffee and cake when you come visit Finland