Listing items in the AH

Hello all,
    I was wondering how you guys price items in the auction house. I have been selling greens without a clue as to how much to list them as and just price according to similar stats and level. Its a very time consuming process and would like to know if this is what you guys do as well or use addons such as auctioneer or auctionator. I could use the help, thanks!

Start high and go down instead of the other way around. Imagine you have 50-100k gold(as most average players do these days), and think what you would pay to gear your alt with that piece of equipment. You should also get auctioneer to make sure you arent listing greens under the value of disenchanting it, allowing other people to profit from your mistakes. To give a few expamples, a lvl req 82 green chest I would put at 20-30g. This is because it rarely disenchants into anything valuable, and people got quest loot. A lvl 82 green weapon however, would go upwards of 60-100g, changing with the value of your Greater celestial essence.
    A 77-80 Greens however are alot more valuable. These are used for people lvling their lvl 80 alts, and if it has decent stats, I'd buy it for several hundred gold for my alts. After all, gearing out in full cata greens at lvl 80 gives you a good advantage.

Start out at a relatively high price for the item. For example, I have a magic rooster egg up for 400k, I dont expect to ever sell it at that much, but over time, I am going to decrees the value slightly, not by any set price, but maybe to 390...see what happens, another XX time period, 375...see what happens.

For green items there are a lot more factors that come into play that an item that goes for more than 100k. What Ilvl is it? what armor class is it? Is it a weapon or armor piece? These all affect the price value.. Another example, 78-80 items will go for much much higher amounts that 82-85 items, the reason behind that is when people are leveling they want to get into cata dungeons fast, or they dont want to be roflstomped by quest mobs(or kill them faster).

Also take into account what heirlooms are available at the level of the thing you are selling, as again that greatly affects the price.
    Last edited by usiris; 2011-10-04 at 06:37 PM.

The disenchanting value can also influence price.
    On my enchanter, I use my addon to search for greens that are being sold for under their disenchant value.

Also, items in the higher level ranges of pvp brackets tend to sell better. A lot of people will pay high prices for 77-79 level cata greens so they can go and destroy people in bgs until they hit 80.

15+ Year Old Account
    5-49 greenies: 20-30g each
    50-60 greenies: Disenchant
    57-60 outland greenies (With good stats, like of the bandit): 100-200g
    60-80 greenies (Excluding cata gear): Disenchant
    77-80 cata greenies: 300-500g (Less if crappy leveling stats, like spirit or agi on plate)
    81-85 greenies: Disenchant

Blues same usually, except 40-200% bigger prices, depending on how useful the item is.

So I like to do at least, and have found it to be working very well! Just needs a bit patience. Not everyone wants to buy greenies, or even blue items.
    Last edited by Kuja; 2011-10-04 at 08:19 PM.

My gold making blog
    Your journey towards the gold cap!

When I first started using the AH I sold greens too. It can be profitable. With an addon like Auctioneer Suite I know what the disenchant price of items are. My general pricing strategy was Min Bid below DE value, Buy Out the price people are likely to pay based on similar items. The plan being that if someone doesn't buy it to use it an enchanter will come along.

Generally, it is pretty neat to get an enchanter. Anything about level 50 is only good for DE. After that level people tend to favour the OP quest and dungeon drops. If you don't have an enchanter, have in your mind the idea that you're trying to sell your items to someone who is likely to DE them for profit.

But yeah, gear is a pain to sell. If it's a green it is normally better to DE and sell the dust. More people need dust.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    you're likely wrong, and we don't care anyway.
    Source