Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by StationaryHawk View Post
    You're probably going to want to try the trial first. It's definitely a kind of game that you'll either love or hate.
    Yeah, I've got 3-4 of my friends willing to try it in anticipation for GW2. Can't hurt to at least try the free trial, right?

10+ Year Old Account
    You're probably going to want to try the trial first. It's definitely a kind of game that you'll either love or hate.
    So we can either love it or despise it? No in-between?

just convince yourself that buying it will guarantee that your money will be put towards making gw2 even better at launch

(that's why i did)
    http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Quel%27Thalas&n=Rofflemau

Guild Wars is a great game to play, it has a vast amount of lore, content, and fun lil minigames. Another thing with Guild Wars is you can go through the whole story mode by yourself or with friends so theres never that period of waiting for others. As for not if you should buy it or not i reccomend trying out Guild Wars Factions or Nightfall as you get into the game quicker where as Prophecies is little bit more slow passed at the start. And the vast amount of skills in the game gives you endless amount of playing around with alowing you to play and use the spell the way you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Will View Post
    So we can either love it or despise it? No in-between?
    That is correct. There is no mildly enjoying Guild Wars. Either loving or hating it.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    That is correct. There is no mildly enjoying Guild Wars. Either loving or hating it.
    This is true. I tried the trial first and put in quite a few hours. But come to find out, it most certainly wasn't my cup of tea. I kept on pushing through hoping that I'd find out why everyone loves it so much. But, that never came. Which is sad, but I guess different strokes for different folks.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Deleted
    Now I want to go play GW! Damn you guys! I'm stuck with my Mac for a couple of months more! :<

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Now I want to go play GW! Damn you guys! I'm stuck with my Mac for a couple of months more! :<
    There's a program you can download that emulates Microsoft for macs...
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    There's a program you can download that emulates Microsoft for macs...
    I used to have that. Usually the performance wasnt very good in games and the controls bugged. Gonna download it after I'm done watching "I Am Legend".

10+ Year Old Account
    I would only get the game if you have plans to work on your HoM. The game didn't age very well and is barely comparable to many of the current F2P games out right now imo.
    I have been playing the game for many years now, alongside many other mmos.

Deleted
    Wtf.. Didnt know there was an alternative ending for I Am Legend!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by seamaf View Post
    Hello everyone, long time lurker first time poster.

I have been seriously considering buying and playing Guild Wars 1 since Guild Wars 2 won't be released until next year. I need a time sink as far as gaming is concerned as HoN is becoming dull and I've had to resort to replaying old FPS games (L4D2, not that theres anything wrong with it, however, I would like a nice time sink with a sense of accomplishment).

I played WoW since vanilla on and off and quit prior to patch 4.2 with no intention of returning to WoW. My biggest fear about GW1 is that I will become quickly bored of it or that I'll be looking for that WoW feel. Is the single player campaign worth it and what of the multiplayer aspect? Also, the Hall of Monuments is also helping push me over the edge to purchasing GW1. What are everyone's thoughts about the Hall of Monuments? Does it make playing GW1 worth it any more?

Kind of a loaded topic, I know. Thanks in advance.
    GW1 is a good game. bottom line

GW1 is a LOT better if you play with other people. the hall of monuments linking up to GW2 is really just icing on the cake its all vanity rewards with alot of things being throwbacks to the original game (balthazar gauntlets, fellblade, etc) but its really meant for old GW1 players to feel like everything they worked for wasnt a complete waste (though theres no problem with new people buying the game to learn about the guild wars universe, even though the only real thing that links up to GW2 is the thackery storyline - war in kryta)

off topic, if you dont like HoN play LoL =0

EDIT: guild wars was originally a multiplayer ONLY game. people talking about solo this and solo that are talking about using heroes/henchmen to solo content. heroes didnt come around until nightfall and ehenchmen used to be so retarded and bad that i remember having to try for 5 days to find a group that would beat thunderhead keep (mostly GLFM 2 monks). to differientiate between solo and multiplayer play is unfair to the game, the only true split for GW1 is between pvp and pve(and between the stupid dirty kurzicks and the awesome and badass luxons >_>)
    Last edited by Glytch; 2011-10-05 at 12:03 PM.
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

I have GW1: GOTY and GW: Eye Of The North. I just started pretty much and it's pretty damn fun. I've been playing WoW since about mid-TBC and the game is boring for me, so I picked up GW1. I'm really new and suck ass but I do enjoy it quite a lot

I think it would be worth it - you also become familiar with some of the mechanics in BOTH GW1 and GW2

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    I play GW1 on a mac... Mac is the only computer i have atm, you can run windows on your mac using Bootcamp, which comes with all macs. And it runs flawlessly, other then occasionally when i minimize you and everything else starts teleporting everywhere and is really confusing... but i think that's just GW bug not to do with macs...

---------- Post added 2011-10-05 at 07:43 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fernling306 View Post
    I would only get the game if you have plans to work on your HoM. The game didn't age very well and is barely comparable to many of the current F2P games out right now imo.
    I have been playing the game for many years now, alongside many other mmos.
    I disagree with this 100% i find the game much much much better then WoW, Rift and every other F2P game, i've tried...

OP if you try GW1 and you like it totally buy it, it has a lot of content you can experience, it'll give you some stuff in GW2, and it's got an amazing storyline! I'd suggest starting in prophecies, then factions, then Night fall, then EoTN if you want to go with the story line, if you just want your HOM points do what everyone else is saying and go backwards!

10+ Year Old Account
    I play GW1 on a mac... Mac is the only computer i have atm, you can run windows on your mac using Bootcamp, which comes with all macs. And it runs flawlessly, other then occasionally when i minimize you and everything else starts teleporting everywhere and is really confusing... but i think that's just GW bug not to do with macs...
    yea its an annoying GW bug, i seem to get it after alt tabbing on PC
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    alright, cause that's exactly what happens to me xD

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    Yeah that's what it is, something on their side, not ours. Although alt-tabbing again tends to fix it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, I downloaded the trial last night and played it for 2 hours. Got to say its different. First and foremost, the combat system is completely different then WoW in that mobs take time to die. If you all can remember in WoW, fighting scorpions or boars outside the orc starting zone, most mobs died within 10 seconds. Here in GW1, mobs tend to take a tad bit longer. However, I am ok with this due to the fact that it seems like they adjusted exp given for how long the mobs take to die.

One thing I do like, though, is the fact that there are just so many combinations of professions that one can go. I know this won't be the issue in GW2, but it is fun to think about what exactly you can go especially for pvp.

It seems like leveling is rather quick. In my 2 hours of gameplay, I managed to get to level 5 which I assume is similar to someone playing WoW for 2 hours and hitting level 20.

All in all, I am enjoying myself and I suppose I will be purchasing the first game as another user DID mention that all my money will be going to Anet and their funding for GW2 :P.

Its just different, but I can manage with these differences.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by seamaf View Post
    However, I am ok with this due to the fact that it seems like they adjusted exp given for how long the mobs take to die.
    Experience from mobs is actually adjusted by your level, the mobs level and the number of heroes, henchmen and players in your group. If you're six levels higher than the mob you just killed you will receive no experience. If you kill a creature of your level with a party member in your group (same level as well) you'll both receive 50 experience points. If you're by yourself and you kill something a higher level than you, you'll receive 120 experience. Each level afterwards increases the experience gained by 16 points and is divided equally by the number of party members you have.

Also, unlike WoW the experience required to level only increases by 600 points from the previous level. Level 1 to 2 requires 2000 xp, 2-3 2600 xp, and so on and so forth.
    Quote Originally Posted by SW:TOR
    Jokerseven - Kinetic Combat Shadow - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Ce'lia - Combat Sentinel - Praxeum - Canderous Ordo
    Sentinel PVE Basics for the two Specs that matter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blznsmri View Post
    Experience from mobs is actually adjusted by your level, the mobs level and the number of heroes, henchmen and players in your group. If you're six levels higher than the mob you just killed you will receive no experience. If you kill a creature of your level with a party member in your group (same level as well) you'll both receive 50 experience points. If you're by yourself and you kill something a higher level than you, you'll receive 120 experience. Each level afterwards increases the experience gained by 16 points and is divided equally by the number of party members you have.

Also, unlike WoW the experience required to level only increases by 600 points from the previous level. Level 1 to 2 requires 2000 xp, 2-3 2600 xp, and so on and so forth.
    That seems really quick. Did some quick math and it seems that leveling from 19-20 will be 140 mobs if all the mobs give 100 exp. I'm ok with that. Afterall, guild WARS should be heavy pvp focused correct?