Page 1 of 2
1
2
LastLast
  1. #1

    Steam and low ratings on games

    So i've noticed recently that on a few games the rating system for them you know the thing that says Postive,Overwhelming positive or Neg and Really Neg don't show Negative or overwhelmingly negative anymore. Are the rating controlled by the game Devs allowing them to turn off the overall rating of the game? Or has it always been like that?

  2. #2
    Don't think devs can moderate reviews, that would defeat the purpose. then again devs have carte blanche to delete and ban all negativity on the steam forums.

    one assumes they can make fake accounts though if they were so inclined.

    It also depends on how long after release it's been (more likely to positive reviews if you got it on sale for 5 bucks), wether early access reviews get updated, and wether the dev has butthurt people/overhyped.
    Last edited by Him of Many Faces; 2015-05-20 at 09:48 AM.

  3. #3
    I honestly never noticed it had a ratings section.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I honestly never noticed it had a ratings section.
    it's a fairly recent addition.

  5. #5
    Warchief Heathy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Little England beyond Wales.
    Posts
    2,012
    I think they have disabled the reviews entirely each game i check i get 'There are no public reviews for this product in your language'

    the negativity was starting to have an effect me thinks.
    Last edited by Heathy; 2015-05-20 at 11:04 AM.

  6. #6
    Scarab Lord TEHPALLYTANK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Texas(I wish it were CO)
    Posts
    4,111
    Edit: Okay, restarted steam and all the reviews are back in their proper places.
    Last edited by TEHPALLYTANK; 2015-05-20 at 07:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

  7. #7
    Okay this actually pisses me off, there are several games I did NOT or DID buy because of reading reviews due to just small issues, such as they wont function or work for some reason anymore...such as fallout 3 and fallout 3 new vegas having some problems. Steam is bout to piss off a LOT of people.

  8. #8

    ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Gdcotton View Post
    Okay this actually pisses me off, there are several games I did NOT or DID buy because of reading reviews due to just small issues, such as they wont function or work for some reason anymore...such as fallout 3 and fallout 3 new vegas having some problems. Steam is bout to piss off a LOT of people.
    They disabled Witcher 3 comments, as people flamed CDPR for releasing shit and not optimised game.
    Every time you say "I don't believe in fearies" one of they dies...

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by sultangurde View Post
    They disabled Witcher 3 comments, as people flamed CDPR for releasing shit and not optimised game.
    Any game I look at right now has 0 reviews available though.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdcotton View Post
    Any game I look at right now has 0 reviews available though.
    Oh. That is even worse.
    Every time you say "I don't believe in fearies" one of they dies...

  11. #11
    Scarab Lord Tekkommo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,748
    It was fine yesterday, appears to have been disabled today.

    I'm fairly sure it's happened before, sure it will be back to normal in a day or 2.

  12. #12
    I was looking at a few games yesterday and a good half of them had negative or very negative feedback.

  13. #13
    Witch 3/

    Witcher 3 No Overall rating in basic description on the top right.

    Watch Dogs

    Same no Over all rating near basic description boxes.


    I noticed it first started with all the games that had Mixed,Mostly Negative labels.

    Now not even games that have always had great reviews or Mostly/Overwhelmingly positive scores have them

    Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind

  14. #14
    I am Murloc! zealo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    5,407
    Quote Originally Posted by Raptor With a Saber View Post
    Witch 3/

    Witcher 3 No Overall rating in basic description on the top right.

    Watch Dogs

    Same no Over all rating near basic description boxes.


    I noticed it first started with all the games that had Mixed,Mostly Negative labels.

    Now not even games that have always had great reviews or Mostly/Overwhelmingly positive scores have them

    Elder Scrolls 3 Morrowind
    Notice how the reviews are gone as well near the bottom of the page, I suspect this is a steam issue more so than ratings being removed.

  15. #15
    I hope so because the only good reviews are those actually from the players and not the Generic Copy paste ones they place all around the pages.

  16. #16
    I went and looked, and I can't seem to find any rating anymore, positive or negative or mixed. That is disappointing. Lately I've been burned by so many developers that I have set a rule to myself to only buy games from steam with a very positive rating or better.

    No explanation or anything...just gone.

  17. #17
    Last I checked TW3 had 86% with almost 3k scorers so I doubt they're trying to fool people into a blind purchase.

    This has also happened several times before when I've checked games out. No score or 'reviews' are available for some time which I thought was strange but it's probably one of a million issues Steam has.

  18. #18
    Old God Gumboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Lost in Space
    Posts
    10,058
    Quote Originally Posted by Gdcotton View Post
    Okay this actually pisses me off, there are several games I did NOT or DID buy because of reading reviews due to just small issues, such as they wont function or work for some reason anymore...such as fallout 3 and fallout 3 new vegas having some problems. Steam is bout to piss off a LOT of people.
    You didn't buy two amazing games because of some slight technicql issues that a very small number deal with and are incredibly easy to fix?

    I don't think you would have survived gaming in the early 2000s lol.
    You're a towel.

  19. #19
    The Insane Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bear Taco, Left Hand of Death
    Posts
    15,997
    The review are all on there for me and it's a system that's been there for some time. If you don't see it, probably just a bug. In any case, you have to look at the actual content of the reviews and should only use the default 'Mostly Positive" or "Mixed" etc as a wide measuring stick. It's highly likely that games getting mixed or lower aren't well made games, but it doesn't mean they aren't fun games.

    Even getting beyond that, you have to look at the specifics of the text reviews to determine whether you can trust the general author base of reviews. For example, GTAV is flooded with people raging about getting banned for using mods in multiplayer like idiots. If you just glance, you see page after page of thumbs down and negative reviews, but they amount to nothing.
    BAD WOLF

  20. #20
    Are you talking about metacritic scores or the user scores?

    The user scores ("overwhelming positive"/"mixed"/etc.) are still there for all games, devs can't control that (nor the reviews from users IIRC). But for metacritic scores, devs can choose to toggle that on or off for their games pages.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •