Yeah, its basically a simulation of HotS Multiplayer using placeholder models. Anyway, I did a 2v2 with insane AI. in the end, we base traded but I managed to pop out like 12 swarm lords and win the game

They don't seem to go straight for detection when you use swarm lords.
    Last edited by Greens; 2011-10-31 at 10:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greens View Post
    Yeah, its basically a simulation of HotS Multiplayer using placeholder models. Anyway, I did a 2v2 with insane AI. in the end, we base traded but I managed to pop out like 12 swarm lords and win the game

They don't seem to go straight for detection when you use swarm lords.
    yeah seems like a lot of the stuff just really confuses the AI. blinding clouds are funny
    Battlemaster Ralamus (retired rogue)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralamus View Post
    yeah seems like a lot of the stuff just really confuses the AI. blinding clouds are funny
    The computer is like "What is this? what's going on?"

Swarm Hosts... Not Swarm Lords. Sorry.

And what is the custom map on the EU called? If anyone knows? I wanna try!

And how good are the placeholder models?
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

I was actually gonna correct myself but I figured everyone knew what I meant so I didn't bother. I'm surprised you felt compelled to correct such a trivial mistake.

The map is called HotS -(name of map) or something. There are quite a few of them. just search hots in the search bar and you should be able to find it.

Placeholder models are:

Hellion transform: firebat
    warhound: goliath
    thor: odin
    shredder: giant spider mine
    swarm host: lurker
    locusts: tiny hydralisks
    viper: that weird flying snakey thing you see in some customs.

Haven't tried protoss yet so iunno.

15+ Year Old Account
    Well, you can also have it as Green and Red, if you want.

The reason is it's just general colors. I remember reading somewhere why they don't let you, but can't remember off the top of my head.

Sorry Greens. I know i am a little pedantic about that sort of stuff, but i't looked like you didn't know, so i thought id just tell you. Please accept my apology though.

And thanks btw, i'l try that map out
    "English doesn't so much borrow words from other languages as follows them into a dark alley, hits them over the head and goes through their pockets for loose vocabulary."

15+ Year Old Account
    Worth noting: Locust(From the swarm host) are insane atm. attack as fast as marines and do 16 damage. My god...

Not bad. Not bad at all.

When you think about it though, they are melee, and not as fast a Zergling. And only produced 2 at a time from Swarm Hosts. And they need to be strong to offset their disadvantages.

That said, they will be overpowered in ZvZ. Both Terran and Protoss can reliably wall off, choke, and have things like Seige Tanks, Bunkers, shield regen, Immortals, etc, to counter them. The way into a Zerg base is left open, and i assume Locusts have a bonus on creep.

They will be absolutely fine in ZvZ as long as Blizzard does something they should do anyway - grant Zerg more then one method of mobile detection. Zerg is looking great in HotS, but with the Overseer being removed, the Viper as a one off detection (and mid to late tech) just cannot cut it. Without one more detector, i can see Zerg being forced to overuse Spore Crawlers.

After all, Terran has Raven and Scan, Toss has Observer (fast when upgraded, flying, early-mid tech, and cloaked, so alot of advantages) and in addition, the only static anti-ground detector of all three races, wheras Zerg is far behind with just the Viper (in HotS) and a static anti-air detector (or can the Spore Crawler detect while uprooted?)

I'm not complaining that Terran or Protoss are over-powered, they are not, however, there will be some ridiculous base trades or Swarm Host V Mutalisk games unless zerg is given a slightly better detector.

Edit : Just found out that the Viper has no building requisite and only needs Lair. That does change some things, but it still depends on thier speed.

Although i imagine we will see ALOT more early 2 gas and fast lair builds from Zerg now, which will make them extra susceptible to early agression. With Protoss being given a buff to their early agression capabilities, i feel like this really imbalances early game in Toss' favour against Zerg, even if Zerg have late game a bit easier now.
    Last edited by Migey; 2011-11-01 at 05:36 PM.

Metzen and I are trying to decide if Sarah or the Jukebox is Jim's true love on twitter lol

My argument is that its the Jukebox

15+ Year Old Account
    Migey, thinking about how the metagame will change with the additions we have right now is pretty pointless. Units will change, and some won't even make it to beta(I'm looking at you, Shredder).

Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post
    Migey, thinking about how the metagame will change with the additions we have right now is pretty pointless. Units will change, and some won't even make it to beta(I'm looking at you, Shredder).
    It's not pointless at all - speculation is fun and will give us ideas to try out and to watch out for.

Also, i doubt that any units won't make it to beta - they seem to have decided them. If there is any that doesn't, it will most likely be the Replicant. The Shredder will be fine if they make sure its attack cannot hit air.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by seam View Post
    This is true.

The patch notes are gonna be so long it won't make sense

Quote Originally Posted by Migey View Post
    Sorry Greens. I know i am a little pedantic about that sort of stuff, but i't looked like you didn't know, so i thought id just tell you. Please accept my apology though.

And thanks btw, i'l try that map out
    Hey no worries and glad I could help.

Ya, I'Mm finding the swarm host exceptionally strong in zvz and pretty weak in the other matchups. Kind of like how infestors are really good against toss and zerg, while only half-decent against most protoss.

catZ got #1 GrandMaster NA (#6 world i think)

love catZ. big grats to him!
    Battlemaster Ralamus (retired rogue)

I tried the map with a mate and the Swarm Host was actually pretty powerful in the right circumstances, problem is, you get it too late for it to be useful without massing units.

It still is pretty damn good. I like it.

Although the Thor my mate made died WAY too fast. Also, Blinding Cloud is too small!

Yeah, thor armor is too low. It gets sniped to easily. I fiind blinding cloud often just doesn't work. Marines can still shoot while under it. Maybe a bug?

Quote Originally Posted by Ralamus View Post
    catZ got #1 GrandMaster NA (#6 world i think)

love catZ. big grats to him!
    Grand Masters is bugged right now for North America. Lots of people who are no-names (mid masters players) that only have 1 game played on the ladder are in GM right now, and then you have players like Idra (DDE, Kiwikaki) who are all top GM players not even in GM.

Yeah, thor armor is too low. It gets sniped to easily. I fiind blinding cloud often just doesn't work. Marines can still shoot while under it. Maybe a bug?
    Potentially. Do you have any melee units in range of the marines? Because it only reduces their range to 1, not completely removes it.

But Blinding Cloud either has to cost 50 energy, or have a much larger radius. At the moment it's useful, but it's like a very expensive forcefield, except it costs alot more and isn't quite as effective.

I hope they buff it slightly. Was a bit dissapointed to see how weak it is

Unless of course, they havn't actually disclosed the exact information for it, and the people who made the custom map had to guess?

Also, the detection spell they have costing 50 energy? Thats rubbish - considering it is one use only, and even then risky, one should be able to use it right from the outset.

Deleted
    Ya, I'Mm finding the swarm host exceptionally strong in zvz and pretty weak in the other matchups. Kind of like how infestors are really good against toss and zerg, while only half-decent against most protoss.
    But is the early game still as stupid and crazy as it is now? Its something I really want to see better in HotS is ZvZ.