Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    You're not just holding off so that the current-gen stuff gets cheaper, it's more to do with how Ivy/Bulldozer perform in comparison. There's a significant change in architecture which makes it difficult to predict how they'll do (can't go by intel/amd's marketing).
    For all you know those chips could be MILES ahead of current chips and totally worth getting...or not too amazing at all. Time and benchmarks will tell.

Really, a Phenom II x4 is a decent processor for gaming needs and good enough for 25mans with if you don't go crazy with settings. I was using a Q8200 + HD5770 less than 3 months ago and that combination did a solid job of all my games and raiding purposes @ 1440x1050 resolution (funny monitor, I know). That Phenom is about 20-25% faster than Q8200 and running a beastly GTX560, it'll last :P
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    did a solid job of all my games and raiding purposes @ 1440x1050 resolution
    Old small things like yours will work on old small computers fine enough and with medium or lower settings.

If you want to push settings to high or play on 1920x1080 monitor C2Q or Phenom X4 945 will start to lag badly in 25-man raids.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Old small things like yours will work on old small computers fine enough and with medium or lower settings.

If you want to push settings to high or play on 1920x1080 monitor C2Q or Phenom X4 945 will start to lag badly in 25-man raids.
    No they don't lag wtf, on my 1920x1200 monitor at ultra (-shadows, I don't use them) I run just smooothly enough. E8400 @ 3,6GHz and HD 6870.

Bloodsail Admiral dicertification's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've done raids on my brothers AMD rig (965) and not had problems using the same settings I do at home. play on a 4ghz 920 at home and really don't notice much of a difference maybe a little worse on the 965 during the rag adds. Yes that's 25 man.

10+ Year Old Account
    turn shadows down a notch and you'll see a big jump in performance from ultra ultra to just ultra

Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    Title says most of it. I currently have and AMD Phenom II x4 945 @2.9ghz

I was just wondering how much, if any, of an improvement to performance in games would I get with an i5 2500k?

Another question will the i5's and other CPU's drop in price when AMD's new number hits store shelves or will they remain the same price?

My other specs are as follows;

GPU: GTX560ti
    RAM: 4Gb (Worth getting more?)

Fixed the title for you. /Marest

It's very much idd worth it, just remember that you need a new motherboard for it (i suggest a P67).

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackspur View Post
    Title says most of it. I currently have and AMD Phenom II x4 945 @2.9ghz

I was just wondering how much, if any, of an improvement to performance in games would I get with an i5 2500k?

Another question will the i5's and other CPU's drop in price when AMD's new number hits store shelves or will they remain the same price?

My other specs are as follows;

GPU: GTX560ti
    RAM: 4Gb (Worth getting more?)

Fixed the title for you. /Marest
    I had AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE and I switched to i5 2500K... big improvement, all my games run without lag at full graphics and even wow has 60 FPS in Orgrimmar, with AMD I had between 16-25 in Ogrimmar