Using Dark Intent on the Doomguard

I've just been messing about on the target dummies and I tried putting Dark Intent on the Doomguard just for the sake of it... I am pleasantly suprised by the results:

The Haste from DI gives the Doomguard an extra 5 Doom Bolts before it expires for a total of 25 (as Demonology with Ancient Grimoire).

Would this be worth it in a raid? That's essentialy about 120k damage from a single GCD. I'm hardly an expert in raiding but wouldn't that be more than it would give a player, even a DoT class over 1 minute?

Apologies if this is already known etc... I just thought it was worth mentioning.

It will during that duration however prevent you and the usual target from getting the +damage or healing buff.
    It is not just about the haste, and maybe not as simple as a yes or not for every fight.

Taking away a constant 9% dot damage is more than likely a dps loss compared to a few extra shadowbolts from doomguard, interesting find though.

Yeah, I get that. I was just wondering if it would do more overall damage on the DG than say, a Shadow Priest (+myself).

It's 3% haste x2 + 9% DoT damage on me + 3% DoT damage on the SP for 1 minute. Would that really add up to over 120k?

(Remember this is as Demonolgy, DoT's aren't exactly a major point of damage).

What other buffs can u give the doomguard when its summoned?
    PI ? Tricks? FM?

Isn't DI on the GCD? You'd also be losing out on two globals (one for applying DI on the Doomguard, another one for reapplying DI on a player), so you would be losing like ~30k damage there also.

I do remember there was discussion about Doomguards being able to get PI and someone tested it and found they could, immediately followed by discussion of "lol good luck getting PI on your guardian."

It's an obvious raid dps loss even if it did work.

I just tested it myself on the dummy and my demo doomguard only made 20 casts with DI.

Even if you did somehow manage to get 25% more casts by using a 3% haste buff, you would still be losing two gcds, 3% haste on a spriest, 3% dot damage on a spriest, 9% dot damage for yourself.

I suspect that you probably had the glitch that can cause your combat log and/or recount to duplicate lines, making it look like you are casting more than you actually are. There are a few logs up on WoL with demo locks doomguards doing extra casts, and if you look carefully at the logs you can see that they always have double casts (ie. times where two doombolts are apparently cast at the exact same time).
    Last edited by avengingbt; 2011-10-06 at 05:44 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I highly doubt you are getting 5 extra doombolts from the standard 20 or so just from DI. Post a log or I just can't take the OP's post as being legitimate.

Made by dubbelbasse

Yeah sorry whilst Ihate to be mean but I find myself quite doubtful of you getting 5 extra doombolts from DI alone. And further the doomguard as I understood it does not gain haste benefits like hero/bl nor does our own haste value seem to translate to the DG so I can not it doing this from DI alone aside from it being a bug of some sort in either certain characters or the addon and its recording. If this was truely the case please link us a log or at worst I suppose a shot of your dps addon with the details fully displayed etc. so this way it can be looked at properly.

I just tried this out on my alt lock while wiping on heroic rag...fuck alt guilds sometimes, butttt......

I put DI and got PI on my Doomguard and it only gained 1 cast. Your "5" casts is a fake.

I'm going by recount.

Every time I summon the Doomguard without DI it's 20 Casts, with DI it's 25 every time.

And no.. I'm not going to use that stupid world of logs thing to "prove" it, I don't really care and it doesnt really matter. All I was doing was pointing out something interesting.

And further the doomguard as I understood it does not gain haste benefits like hero/bl nor does our own haste value seem to translate to the DG
    The Doomguard isn't targeted by 'AoE buffs' like auras and Bloodlust. It however is a viable target for manually applied buffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Then post a screenshot of your recount atleast

Because no matter how you look at it 20 * 1.03 does not equal 25

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    I've just been messing about on the target dummies and I tried putting Dark Intent on the Doomguard just for the sake of it... I am pleasantly suprised by the results:

The Haste from DI gives the Doomguard an extra 5 Doom Bolts before it expires for a total of 25 (as Demonology with Ancient Grimoire).

Would this be worth it in a raid? That's essentialy about 120k damage from a single GCD. I'm hardly an expert in raiding but wouldn't that be more than it would give a player, even a DoT class over 1 minute?

Apologies if this is already known etc... I just thought it was worth mentioning.
    Your combat log likely had the dupicate entry bug for the Doomguard. 3% haste won't result in 25% more casts, and it's been widely shown that even though it snapshots it the Doomguard is incapable of benefiting from haste.

You also lose time/dps as you have to target switch to your demon, cast DI on your guardian, then when this expires recast di on somebody else.

also, i didn't think they benefited from haste as popping them with or without heroism/bloodlust has no effect

Tested it outwithout any haste modifiers on it 21 casts 1.5mil dmg
    tested it with DI on him + PI 21 casts 1.3mil dmg

same shit RNG crits ftw

Yea DI only gives him like (in my alt locks gear) about .06 reduction per cast which only gave him 1 cast including a PI and still only did 1.

Well, some people asked for screenshots:

http://img198.imageshack.us/img198/6493/53591181.jpg (I even counted the Doombolts myself as they were cast - there were most definitely 25)

Bear in mind, every time I've done this it has been with Destruction gear (25% total haste). It has been said the Doomguard does not benefit from haste, perhaps if anything this may be proof that it does but only at certain thresholds or something...

If I try without DI (22% haste) it only casts 20-21 Doombolts.

Before anyone says anything, remember that all I was doing was messing around with this. I never intended it to be taken so seriously or really to be used in raids, I was just intrigued.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Hard to find enough haste gear to get 25% selfbuffed and it would be unoptimal for demo anyway, but with 16% unbuffed haste I get 20-21 doom bolts, adding DI to doomguard and it's still 20-21 bolts on each try. If u could really get a 25% haste increase from a 3% buff then it would be some kind of bug, and worth a second look although even then i'm not sure if it's worth it. Anyway u'd need to be able to repeat it and maybe record a combatlog.