105 22.39%
  • Both will do well

94 20.04%
  • Neither/Other pls list

41 8.74%
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I'm definatly all in on Swtor. GW1 and GW2 just doesn't appeal to me. I really enjoy the type of mmo WoW is, but when you have played since closed beta it's time to try something new in the genre. And I think Swtor will fit just fine.

GW2 all the way. WoW in space doesnt intrigue me much tbh

Quote Originally Posted by Darkster View Post
    GW2 all the way. WoW in space doesnt intrigue me much tbh
    WoW in space doesnt appeal to me either, thankfully swtor isnt WoW in space!

It's gonna be Star Wars for me. I have zero desire to play Guild Wars and having been in the beta for SWtoR I can honestly say things look amazing, they sound amazing, the gameplay is great, and the pvp is fun. No, it doesn't really go anywhere new or different but frankly that's not what I'm in the market for: I like raiding progression and gearing up and a game that lacks that is just kinda 'woop woop' for me. But if you are tired of that sort of thing then great, I suppose Guild Wars is the game for you and, on that note, the two games shouldn't b compared since they are obviously aiming for two different kinds of style and endgame. There is no reason to be so crazed and bash one or the other to make your choice seem better.

I mean, if I was choosing solely on which one seemed to have the bigger jerks playing it I'd have to count GW2 out on this thread alone.

since only one of them will have a monthly fee i will ofc pick them both up =)
    Asrock Extreme 6 Rev B3 | Core i5-2500k@4.6ghz | 2x4gb Corsair Vengeance | Corsair HX1050W | Intel SSD 510 120gb | 5TB storage space | Gigabyte GTX 580 SLI

Quote Originally Posted by vizzle View Post
    Some of your points are subjective so it really doesn't have a place in a GW2 vs. SWTOR thread.

"Dynamic events" - Events that change depending on your morality/choices - That's not how they work. Dynamic events are dynamic because they scale to remain challenging for the number of people participating, the events have different outcomes based on succeeding/failing, they chain on to other events, they happen throughout the world constantly with or without player interation, etc. (more info)

"The world changes with your actions" - Sure, if you enjoy heavy phasing. Again, SWTOR has the morality system when NPCs will interact differently towards you. - The open world is not phased at all in Guild Wars 2. Dynamic events as well as their outcomes and consequences are experienced by all players. The personal story where your individual decisions are made are in instances though.

"the side kick system" - Companion system - That's not what a side kick system is. The sidekick system is where a players level is adjusted to the level of the people they are grouped with or the area that they are in. This allows characters to have challenging content where ever they choose to explore. Also prevents high level players griefing low level areas.

"the fairness in you wont get ksed/griefed" - You wouldn't get griefed in SWTOR either, even if you were on a PvP realm. A person who dies can choose to res at a "safe center". - That's not what they meant. In Guild Wars 2, there is no mob tagging, so no one can kill steal from you. There is also no greifing as high level players are scaled down to the area that they visit and being afk in an event doesn't cause it to scale up in difficulty as the events monitor active participation.

"the pvp search system." - Because WoW and SWTOR don't have this, right? - No, they don't actually. What they were trying to describe (badly) was a match browser similar to FPS multiplayer that allows you to hot join games in progress or set up your own matches.

"underwater combat system" - I don't know why people are so obsessed with swimming - It's not so much the swimming (although everyone from the very start can swim fast and without worrying about a breath meter), but the fact that it has been designed for 3D combat right from the start and not tagged on later. Your weapons, skills and playstyle change when you go underwater so that underwater combat is a more enjoyable experience. Sure, it may not appeal to everyone, but its drastically different than anything before it.
    Alot of the stuff you said made sense, but corrected a few things in red.

Since you've limited the poll to these two games, I'm of the mind that a significant portion of the SWTOR playerbase will eventually go back to WoW, while the GW2 playerbase will start smaller but remain constant or even grow slightly as time goes on. Eventually, GW2 will overtake SWTOR's fallout.

I hadn't really looked into SWTOR all that much because I didn't care about it at all, but a few months ago I decided to go ahead and look at a few videos to see what all the fuss was about. I was surprised. For a game that has such a massive budget the production quality seems surprisingly low. I know it's still in Beta so I won't be judging it completely off of this, but when I look at it, I see unusual character animations (I thought Bioware was supposed to be good at designing lifelike characters?), combat a lot more similar to WoW's than I expected (standing still the majority of the time), and just the overall feel that they didn't try hard enough. That itself turned me off of the game. This is completely my point of view and you're welcome to disagree with me, but I just don't think that it's worth paying $15 for something that doesn't particularly have anything special about it. Sure, it's different from WoW, but not different enough to make me want to pay a subscription for it. No way.

I hated the idea of Guild Wars 2 at first as well. I hated the first Guild Wars. My friends all played it and I tried to get into it and I just could not do it. So when I heard about Guild Wars 2, I thought immediately that it was going to be the same thing. I ignored it for a while, but then I watched a video out of curiosity and it all went downhill from there. I couldn't stop myself. I was shocked by how much quality the game seemed to have, even in alpha state. The combat and movement seemed highly polished and I really liked the idea of the dodge system. I had never seen that before (yep, I had never heard of an action MMO before). It got me excited. I'm still really excited. I got so burnt out on WoW that I need something like this game. The more I learn about it the more interested I get. The PvP system is actually based on the player's skill and not who has the best gear (which is amazing and something that every game should do. Just look at WoW's awful example of PvP). Not to mention that PvE and PvP abilities will be separate so that balancing is a lot easier to do without messing up the other aspect of the game (something other games should also do). Yes, I think that we will see very good things from Guild Wars 2. The fact that it doesn't have a subscription fee is just icing on the cake. I'd play it even if it had one.

tl;dr: Guild Wars 2.

IMO all Bioware games I've seen have crappy graphics.
    They may be good story tellers but when I have to look at the game it always look unpolished.
    For a company that expends so much money on game development they should hire decent artists.
    For some it may not be important but to me it's very important, so I don't buy their games.

Therefore I'll wait for GW2.

GW2 because EA/Bioware aren't releasing in AU >.>
    3DS Friend Code: 2165 - 5428 - 1895

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll stream my SWTOR beta this weekend on my xfire so you can all decide easily

I will try them both, but I think that I will stick with GW2 at this moment because of the character movement (you even have a dodge roll) SWTOR seems more static to me, but I always play the full free month
    Quote Originally Posted by Mummbles View Post
    The reason there are so few tanks isn't because tanking is hard, it's because everyone else is a fucking idiot. True story.

Deleted
    i will propably pick up a copy of GW2 just to try it, lineary with wow
    5 euro says i'm gonna get bored with it after 2 weeks, just like with GW1
    not going to try SW:ToR... i like the movies, but everything else in SW is "meh"

15+ Year Old Account
    World of Warcraft. It's just like John Madden says. You're the champs until somebody beats you. It's gonna take YEARS for either of these to beat WoW. Get back to me in 2018 and we'll see what either of them is at then.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    World of Warcraft. It's just like John Madden says. You're the champs until somebody beats you. It's gonna take YEARS for either of these to beat WoW. Get back to me in 2018 and we'll see what either of them is at then.
    At least you're optimistic, thinking that WoW will still be going strong in 2018.

10+ Year Old Account
    SW:tOR has a terrible gameplay. GW2, from what I know, is almost flawless. But I admit it is unfair to claim which game is better before playing them.

If SW:tOR has a free trial, I'll try it. GW2 already have my money.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    SWTOR Hands down, for the simple fact that Bioware is a much better company than NCSOFT. I am not saying that GW2 doesn't look good, just not good enough to pull me from SWTOR.

SWTOR, but not really because I think it's an better mmo, but simply because I enjoyed the star wars movies. I'm sure both will be good in their own ways. But I won't quit wow though, but need something to do between raids

10+ Year Old Account
    It's gonna take YEARS for either of these to beat WoW.
    It's gonna take years for you to open your mind. WoW has a very old design and it won't be as good as the new MMOs that are coming out. Of course, people that invested their money and time are usually resistant to leave their "investment", but at least you should be honest with yourself.

Any game that is 0,1% better than WoW is already better. People seem to expect the same "boom" caused by WoW years ago. Hype is not an accurate measure of quality, actual quality is.

Deleted
    GW2's end game pve model is terrible and that's why not only SW:TOR will own it but so will WoW.

There's no incentive to play PvE at end game, 5 player limit to dungeons, no item upgrades, where's the progression and sense of accomplishment to be had? I also feel they will fall flat on their face if they expect these ''dynamic events'' to feature as end game content, players would have been doing these events since level 1 and it will get old pretty fast (just life Rift) by the time people hit the level cap they will be bored to tears with them.