Path of Exile Beta. First Impressions

Hi all. I was recently given a Beta key by a very good freind of mine (Fireweaver), who is a keen player of video games and has a CO-OP chennal on youtube.
    We will be doing a 3 player lvling up CO-OP, and posting the videos on Fireweaver's youtube channel.

Fireweaver: Our lord and benefactor :P. The videos will all be shown of from his perspective and he will be playing the Templar.

Voldex aka Jabbadaman: Voldex will be showing off his so called prowess with the duelist class.

Kallath: Thats me, "the life saver and heart breaker" of the grp, and I will be showing off the Witches skills.

Please feel free to leave comments and questions below or in fireweavers youtube channel and we shall endevour to answer you as quickly as possible as long as it does not breach the NDA set by the path of exile team

You can find the videos at:
    Vides can be found on youtube on the channel "Fireweaver" "Lets Cooperate". Sorry but i'm not yet allowed to put links in my threads. If someone else would like to do so as a reply i would be gratefull.

THERE NO DOUBT WILL BE SPOILERS IN THE VIDEOS

I would like to take a moment to thak the developers for allowing us to video there Beta, and for giving us the oppotunity of playing such a great game.

AND GUYS REMEMBER: This is a Beta and there are changes and things being added all the time, so what you see may not be a fair representation of how the final game will look.

Kind Regards Kallath

Path of Exile Beta. First Impressions

Hi all. I'm still very new to the beta but thought I might give some first impressions of the game. Its not going to be a technical thread, more a feel thread. BTW, I am a noob, and have only owned computers for 3 years.

Not being the most experienced of gamers out there, I dont have too many other games I have played to compare this with, so i'm not going to bother. Allegory has never been of too much intrest to me, as I would rather judge something on its own merits rather than constantly look for comparisons (though I will still do so from time to time(( I am human after all))).

On initially logging into the game I was struck immediately by the character selection screen and dark atmospheric music. Each character when selected coming forward to show off his/hers animations felt like trying to pick which sweety in the shop I fancied today. It made my selection difficult. I settled on the duelist, probably because I secretly would like to be the duelist in real life (The honourasble scoudrel, who comes across as a bad boy who gets all the ladies ((I wonder where I got that fantasy from. hmm.... I think you can all guess))).

On entering the game world. Lying down in the wash on the darkly atmospheric beach, My duelist stood up clicked on the icon next to me and "Wham" i'm in combat XD. After punching my enemy to death (oh the brutality of it all, yay), I pick up the weapon next to me and then start on a ten minute rampage through the beach killing monsters and looting there corpses until I found myself face to face with the first boss. After dispatching mine enemy, I make my way into the shoreside town. The town seems to be the main hub for the game, where you can make deals with vendors and pick up any quests that may be around.

I very much like the atmosphere of this game and the ingame music is very well done. I liked that we were thrust straight into the action, as I think too many games go for epic intro's which are nice but often too long, any more than 2 mins without killing something in an action game is in my opinion too long.

The combat was familiar to other games I played many years ago (on my mums computer), and very intuitive & smooth. Beating the crap out of baddies without any skills was still satisfying, and best of all I got a choice to take one of several skills immediatley through the games clever gem system. I also found the games unique flask system to be a ray of sunshine as it means I dont have to have bags full of flasks, and if I need to recharge them, all I need to do is kick the crap of more enemies (now thats made out of win XD).

The skill tree is immense and the developers are not wrong that good planning helps a great deal to make a powerfull character. Rather than plan at the moment, i've decided to go for a certain play style and grab skills based on that. Its too much fun and i need to pwn.

Graphically I was happily surprised. Given that from what I hear the game was started with just a few private developers, its got some great graphics with very good spell effects to boot. The water effects and the undergroud lighting was especially good too.

I hope this helps anyone who's interested, and I know that other ppl have probably done this already (and better than me), but I feel being a Beta player, I need to give something back to the guys who gave me the key in faith, and not being a tech head i'm limited to how I can help, and so will try to do so on a non technical level.

Kind Regards Kallath

p.s. Trolls, feel free. I dont read troll replys anyway, and they alway reflect more on the troll than the person writing a post, however noobish it may be XD
    Last edited by kallath; 2011-10-07 at 09:30 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I merged your two threads on this. Looking at the screenshots on their website, the environments do look surprisingly quite nice. I may actually apply for the beta.

I made a mistake. they were supposed to be 2 different threads, but I copied the same thing. I'll keep them both on this thread now, and you can see I have added a written description of the game s first impressions. Hope this helps everyone. BTW, this game will be free to play, with no way of buying power for real money. All you will be able to pay for is vanity items (spell effects and skins etc.........).

Feel free to check out the website, you may have an interesting read: pathofexile.com
    Last edited by kallath; 2011-10-07 at 09:36 AM.

Deleted
    I checked out the Totalbiscuit video and for a F2P game it looks pretty decent, I will give it a try upon release.

Looks like a remake of diablo 2. lol.

It does look somewhat similar, but the play feels better and smoother

I watched a decent amount of the TB video. It seems way better than most f2p games. The way the sockets work with attacks, and the stat system is pretty interesting. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a beta key...

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Holy smokes man, that game looks like... really a rip-off from Diablo 2. Honestly, it's not even... wow...

10+ Year Old Account
    for those saying that this game is just a diablo clone, wait untill you play it and then give your opinion about.

me i'm hoping that i get a beta key soon the wait is killing me
    Velen: I think your God may just be one of our Gods and you just don't know it.
    Tyrande: Well, I think our Goddess may have crafted your Gods in her spare time.
    Velen and Tyrande: ....
    Velen: Yeah, well...I'm just gonna go.
    Tyrande: Bye.
    *Velen starts walking toward the portal back to Exodar*
    Velen: Your grandmother was a Troll, by the way.
    Tyrande: SENTINELS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Blazer4500 View Post

I keep checking to see if I'm the next upcoming random ><

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Blazer4500 View Post
    for those saying that this game is just a diablo clone, wait untill you play it and then give your opinion about.

But the aesthetics are just a complete rip, it's shameless. I probably sound like a fanboy for saying that, but I react like this to any game being such a horribly blatant wanna-be to the extent of looking THIS much like another game.
    But oh well, I'll keep it out of here. Those that like it should be allowed to talk about it without me

10+ Year Old Account
    one Key thing about PoE is it's really big passive skill tree, here is the talent calculator ( take on account that the point calculator and the skill tree are still in development)

http://dontplaytoomuch.com/PathOfExi...alculator.html
    Last edited by Blazer4500; 2011-10-07 at 10:05 PM.
    Velen: I think your God may just be one of our Gods and you just don't know it.
    Tyrande: Well, I think our Goddess may have crafted your Gods in her spare time.
    Velen and Tyrande: ....
    Velen: Yeah, well...I'm just gonna go.
    Tyrande: Bye.
    *Velen starts walking toward the portal back to Exodar*
    Velen: Your grandmother was a Troll, by the way.
    Tyrande: SENTINELS!!!

Got my beta key this morning