Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Do you feel alone in single player games?

Okay, enough with all the wow is great/dying threads.

Over the years I've been playing wow I find it next to impossible to play solo player games. I grew up with NES, SNES, SEGA, PS, etc. The fond memories are still there, but when I try to play solo console games now...

First game that comes to mind is FFXII(i think that's a 12). I'm one of those people that doesn't like change but I gave it a chance. They fill the city you start in with npcs that walk around and talk, but it just didn't work for me. Next, was Oblivion, I played hours and hours into it and interacted with every npc in sight but still it just felt so lonely.

Even at my most antisocial in wow, even after several years, it amazes me that all the people running this way and that are real people.

Does anyone else feel that nomatter the graphics, AI, etc that solo games just feel empty and lonely compared to wow(or any mmo)?

I feel the same aswell OP, that's why I don't play single player games often

Deleted
    I quit playing Oblivion because of that :S but it was such a great game.. but.. single player

Depends. In Oblivion I don't mind it, not having all the trolls around are kinda nice, and the NPCs interact waaay better than those in WoW. In Metroid games I downright don't want to have any company around me, the feeling of being alone on an dangerous planet is what makes the games. WoW wouldn't have worked if it was single player though, so I'm quite happy about it being multiplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormreage View Post
    I quit playing Oblivion because of that :S but it was such a great game.. but.. single player
    Someone mentioned Skyrim in another threat and i'm thinking "yeah it looks awesome" but I see myself 5 hours in.."think i'm gonna see what my guilds up to"

Luckily my girlfriends a gamer so anything coop: halo, gears of war, borderlands is a great change of pace, but I think wow has ruined me for solo games forever

Yeh... being alone sucks!! Even if a single-player game is awesome... that holds it back for me! :/

Deleted
    Actually, I enjoy wow and single player games for different reasons. In wow, I can play with guildmates and chat with a lot of people. I like single player rpgs because my choices influence the story a lot.

Depends. I'll feel alone if there's nothing to do, not no one to interact with. Gotta admit, the interaction in single player games is mostly better than WoW's trade chat and chat most of the time xD. Plus, I can still have vent open while playing single player games...mhm! PLUS PLUS, I don't have to depend on the crappy LFG (if I must) at times; single player games allow me to actually play as me being the end-all, not relying on other people who suck T_T...
    Last edited by WorldofWorkcraft; 2011-10-07 at 08:10 PM.

Deleted
    Depends on the game. Call of Duty singleplayer I feel alone simply because of what the game is meant to be played for. A purely single-player game like Deus Ex 3 is when the concept is at its strongest. Feeling alone in a single player game is not a bad thing as long as it works.

I "feel alone" in those type of games but it works but like I said, a single played mode for a game like Call of Duty or Gears of War just doesn't feel right because of the multiplayer.

Deleted
    Too busy feeling and following the story usually to give a damn about others

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    No, I feel calm and pleasant. I have a serious issue with connecting with the game when there is constantly stuff like "Lol" popping up. That's why I had to stop playing Age of Empires Online (well that, and the fact that it was horrible), people was consantly spamming the chat with historical incorrect nonsense and common crap.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

It really depends on how immersive the game is. A lot of MMOs make me feel more alone than an immersive single player game, while other single player games have being alone as part of the experience. So, it varies.

I dont mean this as an insult to anyone, but you guys must spend alot of time in trade. If i'm online and not raiding i'm out in the world somewhere, dont need to expose my tired brain to a revamp of the "anal" game or whatever brilliance is flooding trade.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    Depends. In Oblivion I don't mind it, not having all the trolls around are kinda nice, and the NPCs interact waaay better than those in WoW. In Metroid games I downright don't want to have any company around me, the feeling of being alone on an dangerous planet is what makes the games. WoW wouldn't have worked if it was single player though, so I'm quite happy about it being multiplayer.

Actually I'm quite sure it would have been a perfect game, if it had been a Elder Scrolls'esque game. But that's probably just me.....

It depends on how good your imagination is. I can feel completely immersed in a good single player game (or a good book).

I think wow might have trained you to stop feeling like you are "in character" when you are playing, since when you are interacting with real people, you can be yourself.

I'm not sure how one finds his way back to the enjoyment of imaginative, solo play. Maybe leaving all of the chat channels is a good start.

Quote Originally Posted by Auloria View Post
    It depends on how good your imagination is. I can feel completely immersed in a good single player game (or a good book).

I think wow might have trained you to stop feeling like you are "in character" when you are playing, since when you are interacting with real people, you can be yourself.

I'm not sure how one finds his way back to the enjoyment of imaginative, solo play. Maybe leaving all of the chat channels is a good start.
    I actually am a reader so it didn't hurt books for me. Just games it would seem. And if you want to know what single player wow could have been look up Warcraft Adventure(or whatever it's called) looked like Dragon's Lair.

I don't feel alone in single player games if the story is immersive enough.

Nah not really. I guess I've just mentally separated the single and multiplayer experiences, so I treat them differently.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyar View Post
    I actually am a reader so it didn't hurt books for me. Just games it would seem. And if you want to know what single player wow could have been look up Warcraft Adventure(or whatever it's called) looked like Dragon's Lair.
    "Warcraft Adventures - Lord of the Clans", is not what a singleplayer version of WoW would've been, Warcraft Adventures was a streamlined, 2d story.

10+ Year Old Account
    Exactly how I feel. I tried Dragon Age and Mass Effect, none of them got me so bound since they are single player games
    Quote Originally Posted by Callypso View Post
    Good fight Thrall, oh btw, your wife is pregnant. SURPRISE!!!