Thread: Rage

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Joholy View Post
    You know, the first hour or so is downright awesome. Then you get to Wellspring and the rest of it happens. I don't know what else to say. I love id Software's games but Rage doesn't feel like one of them by any means. The action isn't fluid and the racing/driving content feels like filler.

One man's opinion.
    There's some quests that are way better later on, specifically the quests involving the mutants. Dead City is just awesome and Mutant Bash TV was pretty cool too, if the entire game was like that it would be so much better. Screw the gun fights with the other humans, though they aren't horrible, the mutants are a much better enemy.

I'm not sure why there's so much hate for this game. Sure I agree it could have been better, and longer would definitely be better, but it's no where near as bad as people are saying it is.

I actually like being able to drive from town to town too, it sure beats the hell out of the long ass runs you have to do in Fallout.

Fallout 4, but not really..

But for real, looks good, but i dislike vehicle stuff in my rpgs
    (E) .· ` ' / ·. (F)
    Ur Tears Fuel Me.
    QQ More Please

Quote Originally Posted by Chamass View Post
    Fallout 4, but not really..

But for real, looks good, but i dislike vehicle stuff in my rpgs
    The vehicle stuff helps break up the game and is done reasonably well. It's not a driving simulator, but simple, but a lot better than having to run places or have simple teleports to places.

The quests in general had good variety, and like Grandpab said, the Dead City was awesome, great AI on the mutants and it was awesome when you can hear them coming but not sure where they are going to come out of. Great atmosphere.

If you have graphics issues, make sure you download the beta drivers for your vid card and force Vsync and triple buffering in your vid card options. Looks pretty nice now.

Don't have to force Vsync anymore due to the update, not sure about triple buffering though, though it does make the game crash on an ATI card.
    3DS Friend Code: 2165 - 5428 - 1895

I absolutely couldnt care less that the textures are a bit low-res up close. I'm on a forum largely dedicated to an 8-year old video game, surely gameplay is more important to us than graphics? And whenever anyone says "such and such game can be finished in X hours." I always at least double that figure, because everyone likes to think they're better than they are, and will (possibly unintentionally) underestimate the challenge of a game. Also the kind of person who writes something like that is much more likely to be a hardcore gamer, which I'm not any more. Even so, 14 hours is a little on the light side for me, which is a shame cause the advert looks AMAZING.

Not when it looks like complete shit, it really throws me off. Seriously, much older games look way better. You can finish the entire game on nightmare in 10 hours with doing everything possible ingame, which I did.
    3DS Friend Code: 2165 - 5428 - 1895

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Sarcastic View Post
    I absolutely couldnt care less that the textures are a bit low-res up close. I'm on a forum largely dedicated to an 8-year old video game, surely gameplay is more important to us than graphics? And whenever anyone says "such and such game can be finished in X hours." I always at least double that figure, because everyone likes to think they're better than they are, and will (possibly unintentionally) underestimate the challenge of a game. Also the kind of person who writes something like that is much more likely to be a hardcore gamer, which I'm not any more. Even so, 14 hours is a little on the light side for me, which is a shame cause the advert looks AMAZING.
    i think your missing the point here..

people arent that bothered about the way in which games look, most of us agree WoW is dated graphically but due to the polish and art style nothing ever really seems out of place. This on the other hand tries to do High Res, but when you get close to certain area's, objects etc it goes all choppy low res and just spoils the whole look of the game. This wouldnt have been as big a deal if the game actually lasted more than 10-15 hours to finish Everything..

ps. still havent played this im just going on the general feeling towards this game (especially pc gamers)
    Last edited by mmoccc0b2dd691; 2011-10-09 at 11:58 AM.

My take on this: ID soft remade borderlands in a new engine to show off the said engine.
    That's all it felt like. It's rushed, buggy and would be tiresome if it wasn't so short.

It LOOKS awesome and once someone else gets hold of the engine and neatens it up there will be amazing games based on it but it's less game, more tech demo.

IMO this review nails it: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/1...ever-gamed.ars
    Last edited by mercutiouk; 2011-10-09 at 12:10 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

15+ Year Old Account
    Didnt like it.
    It felt like an arcade shooter on rails.
    Your greed, your foolishness has brought you to this end.

- Prince Malchezaar

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultramonkey View Post
    So because video games developers are making games that can be enjoyed by people sitting on a sofa, that makes the people playing the game "children"?
    Never mind the babies who think that computers are better than consoles. They are two different beasts guys, and if you're sitting there laughing at us, the guys wielding the controllers, then we'll just stick up our longest two fingers and continue playing Rage without any issues and Dark Souls with only slight anger management problems :P
    Skullmaster - Slathe - Duat - Tamriel

Absolutely everything happens for a reason - Omnia Causa Fiunt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Skullmaster View Post
    Never mind the babies who think that computers are better than consoles. They are two different beasts guys, and if you're sitting there laughing at us, the guys wielding the controllers, then we'll just stick up our longest two fingers and continue playing Rage without any issues and Dark Souls with only slight anger management problems :P
    aye but its pretty much if Wii was the main console that developers made for and MW3, BF3 etc were made around that and then those games got ported to 360 and ps3.. and not just ports but sloppy ports with very little improvements and tons of bugs. You would also feel a little pissed.

Quote Originally Posted by Moozart View Post
    Um, Reality to you.. Console gaming is a MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger market than PC gaming, these companies are out there to make money, not make a small group happy. I am sorry you cant realistically grasp the concept of business.

I you are going to be rude and condescending in your posts, please avoid posting. Or write out the post, but don't hit the post button if that makes you feel better. - Edge
    I find it odd how this comment is marked as "rude", while console-bashing comments are perfectly fine. (see "console children")
    Objectivity doesn't seem to be the strong side here.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by edgecrusherO0 View Post
    Wow, that's even more depressing. Oh well, I can go back and play Doom 3 again, it's still a spectacular game.
    It really isn't. If anything, it was one of the worst first person shooters ever made, and was light years from being as enjoyable as Doom 2 was. The sad thing is that I will go and play Doom 2 without even hesitating, Doom 3 I won't touch with a 10 foot pole.

---------- Post added 2011-10-09 at 03:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Skullmaster View Post
    So why is it that those of us with superior technology should have to suffer at the hands of people playing consoles that have 5 year old hardware in them? Logic would dictate that making a game for the more powerful platform and tuning it to run optimally on a weaker system would make more sense and be a lot easier, rather then pissing on all the people who have gaming computers that are more then capable of running the same damn game and not even bothering to optimize the system at all. I knew Carmack was full of shit when I watched the interview from E3 with him talking about Rage and how consoles are holding PC games back, his bloody team didn't even bother to optimize for PC's nor did they develop properly since driver support is a complete bag of crap with this game. Duke Nukem was evidence enough that consoles with ghetto hardware are hindering PC's.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2011-10-09 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by undead9 View Post
    Don't have to force Vsync anymore due to the update, not sure about triple buffering though, though it does make the game crash on an ATI card.
    I tried the in game option, but it kept resetting the option to no, so I had to force it. Running a GTX480 in win7 64 so it's not the card or OS. Anyway took all of 5mins to fix so I wasn't that put off.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof_Sarcastic View Post
    Seeing as how any casual FPS single player lasts for no more then a couple of hours, anything over 10 is acceptable in my books. There is a reason why casual shooters are so hated on, they have no depth and no story. At least Rage gets some better value out of what you pay.

---------- Post added 2011-10-09 at 06:01 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by undead9 View Post
    Not when it looks like complete shit, it really throws me off. Seriously, much older games look way better. You can finish the entire game on nightmare in 10 hours with doing everything possible ingame, which I did.
    It makes me wonder how you can finish a game in 10 hours if you keep running up to walls just to complain about some texture issues. Seriously, who cares? The game looks damn good for the most part, odds are most people are too busy killing things to give two shits about some crappy wall textures.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    My take on this: ID soft remade borderlands in a new engine to show off the said engine.
    That's all it felt like. It's rushed, buggy and would be tiresome if it wasn't so short.

It LOOKS awesome and once someone else gets hold of the engine and neatens it up there will be amazing games based on it but it's less game, more tech demo.

IMO this review nails it: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/1...ever-gamed.ars
    Agreed. Know what's funny as hell, though?

It's an id Software game that doesn't have fifty different ways to tweak visual settings without ever touching .cfg's. Seriously, what the hell?

Then again, Bethesda is involved and they know how to destroy games almost as well as EA.

Deleted
    I've grown up with all the ID games, and loved them - but this one... It's borderlands 2.0 - without the humour, the weapons...

They keep saying how they textures are awsome and the megatexture blablabla, then you zoom-in on a object indoors and see Doom like textures resolution. Only thing good is the geometry that is abundant even seem like its all being tessellated
    Last edited by Hellfury; 2011-10-10 at 11:47 AM.

i finished it in roughly 9 to 10 hours, in part because crafted wingsticks are a bitt op versus most opponents.
    Their A.I is rather good as they duck, run and hide for cover. but a wingstick to the face generally tends to tone down their mobility dramatically

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Potential spolers :I usually play all my games on PC, but i don't have enough money to go out buying games and i heard there's a lot of bugs on the PC version, graphical wise, so i hired it out on PS3. The visuals are amazing, even for PS3 and i thought the combat, crafting and different ammunition types were pulled off a lot better than games like Fallout & Borderlands. The story... eh, not great, I mean there could be a sequel based off the ending by i think it'd ruin this game. The AI are also amazing and the way they react to different attacks is great. The big shit part of the game, imo, was the last level and especially the end fight, i went out and spent all my money and craft heads of items ready for the last level, expecting it to be hard as but the pulse cannon thing shredded everything in sight and there was no shortage of ammunition for it. Don't get me wrong the level design in the last level is amazing but the encounter design is complete shit, when i came to the ending i was expecting some great boss but it was just waves of enemys, and not even hard enemies, it was the mutants that took 1 shotgun shot to kill. Still a great game though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elementium View Post
    People so addicted that they're actually angry at Blizzard for WoW getting old >.< Insulting WoW because your tired of it is like hating your dad because he's older than you and not as fun as your friends.