Thread: Addons?

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad Morbius View Post
    There is a significant downside to this: Your input is irrelevant in "watch the fight". Your friends can do it with you afking. And as far as I know, very few people liked half AFK raids to molten core.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_ View Post
    There is a significant downside to this: Your input is irrelevant in "watch the fight". Your friends can do it with you afking. And as far as I know, very few people liked half AFK raids to molten core.
    I have no idea what you are trying to say...all this means to me is I would much prefer to see what is happening rather than watch a screen full of addons. That being said, I do admire your persistence as misdirected as it may be, especially in light of how different this game will be compared to World of Pandamonium.
    Last edited by Vlad Morbius; 2011-10-22 at 10:13 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    That being said, I do admire your persistence as misdirected as it may be, especially in light of how much different this game will be compared to World of Pandamonium.
    He seems a bit bamboozled.

10+ Year Old Account
    Mif are you still plotting to overthrow the world? I'm watching you...sneaky little miscreant.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course not, don't be silly. Here have a cookie! :3
    /cookie

*mental note: he knows too much*

10+ Year Old Account
    [QUOTE=Mif;13804067]Of course not, don't be silly. Here have a cookie! :3
    /cookie

What no milk?????

*mental note: get milk...no wait there was something else wasn't there?*

10+ Year Old Account
    What no milk?????
    Fun Mif fact: In wow, I used to keep a stack of milk on me, because every time I'd see a kitty druid I would:

/s Nice kitty
    /pat
    *trade them a milk*
    /s Kittys love milk!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Fun Mif fact: In wow, I used to keep a stack of milk on me, because every time I'd see a kitty druid I would:

/s Nice kitty
    /pat
    *trade them a milk*
    /s Kittys love milk!
    Fun Vlad fact...I'm a cat juggler, I taught Steve Martin everything he knows!
    Last edited by Vlad Morbius; 2011-10-23 at 02:14 PM.

I have no idea what you are trying to say...all this means to me is I would much prefer to see what is happening rather than watch a screen full of addons. That being said, I do admire your persistence as misdirected as it may be, especially in light of how different this game will be compared to World of Pandamonium.
    I'm saying that I prefer a game to an interactive movie where my input matters. You're saying you prefer an interactive movie to a game where your input is irrelevant.

I suppose it's a matter of taste.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2011-10-23 at 06:14 AM.

I'm saying that I prefer a game to an interactive movie where my input matters. You're saying you prefer an interactive movie to a game where your input is irrelevant.

I don't see how cluttering your screen in order to get more information is preferable to interacting with the game world and knowing that information by watching the game rather than watching the interface. ArenaNet is designing the game so that the UI is there to provide you with the essential information (hp, skills, w/e else) while the game is there to play, interact, and react to. In WoW it's more or less essential to use certain addons, both to judge the ability of your group and possibly make adjustments if necessary, and to improve yourself. In GW2, at least in explorer mode dungeons (which is the only time such information should matter), if a player isn't pulling their and is (trying to be) carried, it will be obvious and incredibly detrimental to the group as a whole.

If ArenaNet adds in the functionality to the UI that most people use/want (ie customization of the appearance and ability to track items across all characters), the use of addons shouldn't be needed. Otherwise, UI capable addons should be allowed but nothing combat oriented. While such tools as recount are useful when used properly, I don't want to see the GW2 community turn into the trolls and epeen wavers that permeate WoW through misuse of such tools.
    Last edited by rhandric; 2011-10-23 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

10+ Year Old Account

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawma...ment#Reasoning

Presenting a misrepresentation of the opponent's position.

Oversimplifying an opponent's argument, then attacking this oversimplified version.
    Last edited by Glytch; 2011-10-23 at 06:51 AM.
    The Original Ganksta

Top 100 US daggers. yeah, you're jelly alright

Quote Originally Posted by Durzlla View Post
    then again i'm pretty sure you're smarter then the average dumbass

10+ Year Old Account
    Glytch, you live in the same city as me..

But no seriously, ArenaNet is not blind to what their game does. They even play their game and always try and make it better, they understand what Addons can do to players. I don't think they'll be implemented but they will keep the customization with your UI.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rashanda View Post
    Glytch, you live in the same city as me..

<Snip>
    Same here, and also Kaelwryn

It's kind of interesting to me how many people think of "no addons" as a threat to the way they PvE. Well, GW2 PvE is fundamentally different from the word go, so get over it.

Provided that the UI is solid and customizable, the only addon I'll miss is a damage meter for purposes of target-dummy testing/theorycrafting. Keep those things miles away from real PvE... I actually think that given GW2's combat system where we're all hybrids and damage is often a cooperative thing, busting out a personal damage meter in an explorable dungeon would be a sure sign of a noob. But I'd love to see something like a "training area" featuring target dummies with built-in meters so players can test their builds.

Actually, I might miss that "First Blood... Dominating... Unstoppable... Godlike!!!" addon too.

I don't see how cluttering your screen in order to get more information is preferable to interacting with the game world and knowing that information by watching the game rather than watching the interface.
    The "clutter" present in the screenshot is very much overdone. Most people have elements of UI around, rather then in the center. This is no different in GW1, where you have a lot of extremely important elements of UI easily accessible. You complaint is about "this guys taste of UI doesn't match mine".

In GW1, I knew of several players who played with huge compass near center of the screen, because for top end play, compass was far more important then battlefield view.

This need isn't going away in GW2. You will still need big party frames, skills frame, skill usage frames, compass, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Glytch View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawma...ment#Reasoning

Presenting a misrepresentation of the opponent's position.

Oversimplifying an opponent's argument, then attacking this oversimplified version.
    You may wish to scroll up and read what original disagreement was about before putting your foot in your mouth next time.
    Last edited by Lucky_; 2011-10-23 at 02:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyrmrider View Post
    It's kind of interesting to me how many people think of "no addons" as a threat to the way they PvE. Well, GW2 PvE is fundamentally different from the word go, so get over it.

Provided that the UI is solid and customizable, the only addon I'll miss is a damage meter for purposes of target-dummy testing/theorycrafting. Keep those things miles away from real PvE... I actually think that given GW2's combat system where we're all hybrids and damage is often a cooperative thing, busting out a personal damage meter in an explorable dungeon would be a sure sign of a noob. But I'd love to see something like a "training area" featuring target dummies with built-in meters so players can test their builds.

Actually, I might miss that "First Blood... Dominating... Unstoppable... Godlike!!!" addon too.
    They had one of those dummies in gw1, it told you how much dps you did over time, what your largest burst damage was, and how long it took to get a kill, so they -may- have one in second one, I hope they do cause I liked to play with it
    Quote Originally Posted by draykorinee View Post
    Youre in the mmo forums and you find mmos boring, Im heading on over to the twilight forums to add my unecessary and shallow 2 cents.

Deleted
    The "clutter" present in the screenshot is very much overdone.
    That is common troll tactics: represent the object you wish to show in the most negative possible light with a terribly overdone picture and the object you wish to root for with the most uncluttered, clean and visually pleasing picture you can find, and then go on a tangent about those differences.

Quote Originally Posted by GayGirlie View Post
    That is common troll tactics: represent the object you wish to show in the most negative possible light with a terribly overdone picture and the object you wish to root for with the most uncluttered, clean and visually pleasing picture you can find, and then go on a tangent about those differences.
    Aka strawman argument linked above in the thread. Hence my reaction to it, and "foot in the mouth" comment.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkenaw View Post
    Same here, and also Kaelwryn
    O_O whhaaa? No, no. *covers location with hands* LOL. Nice to see more texans here! :3

Anyway, there are some UIs out there that are hugely cluttered. There are also some UI makers that make it VERY clean. WoW let's you essentially change everything to your liking via addons. It was built around the usage of addons.

Some people have had a bad experience with addons and it left a bad taste in their mouth. Idiots abusing Gearscore and other such addons to "segregate" the wow population into casuals, elites, etc. With how GW2 is being present we don't need, and obviously quite a few don't want, this to happen. So they feel that the easiest way of keeping this from happening is to keep such addons (even though they can be immensely powerful tools) from GW2. Will it stop people from lumping everyone into groups? Probably not.

Truthfully it seems to me that ANet thinks that all you to play a game is your eyeballs, fingers and ability to take in the information on your screen and adjust accordingly. You shouldn't need an addon to tell you anything.

Are there going to be addons in GW2? Probably. Why? Because despite ANet's no support of addons in the first one, people still decided to make addons. They were, mostly, simple UI modifications. Made the sins look shinier or sleeker. Personally I think that this is going to be the kind of addon we see for GW2, and really one of the few. I think this because even though GW2 is going to see people from all kinds of mmos and games, I feel the vast majority will be GW1 players and it seemed to me a lot of them never felt the need for any fancy addon like recount. I also think ANet did a good job of making a clean, simple but beautiful UI.

Even if addons like DBM or Recount or whatever do make an appearance in GW2 I doubt I'll have them. It just seems like it'll be a lot more fun to reply on my own reflexes and judgements (even if they pretty shitty) than staring at addons to see when is the next Meteor Storm coming so I can get ready to move five steps over and then stop again and faceroll my keyboard.
    Last edited by Kaelwryn; 2011-10-23 at 03:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Deleted
    I dont like addons, they ruin the game and make bad players good through extended means.
    If you cant learn to play the AH you simply can get an addon. its silly and lazy.
    GW2 is definately a skill based game so people should learn to play it properly.