The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

Intel i5 750 overheating

So, I have not had an issue with my cpu since I got it last year, until I started playing the BF3 beta. While playing caspian border, my computer would just freeze out, and I would have to reset my power button on my pc to do anything. At first I thought it was just the Beta, but then it happened again so I started looking at my temps with Core Temp, and while I was in a game, my CPU temp would jump to 90 degrees C, fairly quickly. I have the stock heatsink that came with the i5, so I checked to make sure my fans were spinning, no issue there. I cleaned my case out with air, made sure all my fans were clean, started back up and noticed my idle temp was 40-43, which didn't seem right because I always used to idle at around 30. So, I started up the beta again, and although my temps did not increase as fast as before, they did still get up to 90. So this time, I shut down, took off my heatsink, cleaned the old thermal paste off, added a pea sized dab of thermal paste and tried again. The new thermal paste helped a bit, by like 5-6 degrees, and my idle temp has come down to around 35, but it still gets to the 80s when I play BF3 Beta.

I tired playing Mw2 to see what it did there, and my temp seemed stable at 65-70.

I just ordered a Coolermaster Hyper 212 heatsink to see if that helps, but my question is, do you think its just the BF3 beta, or is something wrong with my chip.

I should also mention, I have the door of my case with a fan blowing in that area to see if that helped, but it does not make that much of a difference.

Intel and AMD stock heatsinks are painfully bad. People say they will keep your cpu in the safe zone and yea sure when your not stressing it out or using it heavily. You will notice a severe decrease in temp with a Hyper212>stock. Still you want sub 70c

10+ Year Old Account
    Think it's just the beta, much like when my girlfriend plays sims 3 it makes her GPU get as loud as a garbage truck. Try with the hyper212 and see if it helps in the beta. If it doesn't pray for Dice making it more compatible before release.
    i7-6700k 4.2GHz | Gigabyte GTX 980 | 16GB Kingston HyperX | Intel 750 Series SSD 400GB | Corsair H100i | Noctua IndustialPPC
    ASUS PB298Q 4K | 2x QNIX QH2710 | CM Storm Rapid w/ Reds | Zowie AM | Schiit Stack w/ Sennheiser HD8/Antlion Modmic

Armory

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by inux94 View Post
    Think it's just the beta, much like when my girlfriend plays sims 3 it makes her GPU get as loud as a garbage truck. Try with the hyper212 and see if it helps in the beta. If it doesn't pray for Dice making it more compatible before release.
    If not, Im buying the i7 870

Quote Originally Posted by Seahippo View Post
    That would definitely be a wasted upgrade.
    But doesn't matter since an aftermarket cooler on a stock cpu will keep it ice cold :P
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    That would definitely be a wasted upgrade.
    But doesn't matter since an aftermarket cooler on a stock cpu will keep it ice cold :P
    Agreed, definitely don't buy another LGA1156 CPU. The stock cooler is likely either dirty, not fitting correctly, or otherwise malfunctioning. OP, are you overclocking at all under that cooler? If so, bring it back to stock, even the stock cooler shouldn't have trouble keeping the CPU cool under full load if you're not overclocking.
    Super casual.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahippo View Post
    Its probably just due to Battlefield 3 being in beta. Yet even still since you're upgrading the stock cooler to a Hyper 212 you should be good to go on an overclock.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yea I am not overclocking. Have kept it stock since I got it.

I just played an hour of CSS, and my temps were around 70-73 degrees.

Edit

Keep in mind also, I have a house fan blowing at my pc with the door off, and my house is cold as shit right now, and it doesnt seem to help either

---------- Post added 2011-10-09 at 01:32 PM ----------

I should also mention I have tried the OCCT cpu test, and it fails like 4 minutes in saying CPU too hot. My buddy has the i5 760, and his pc can handle the full 1 hour duration of the test with his stock heatsink

Sounds like it needs new thermal paste 70+C on old CSS O.O jebus! What are your idle temps?

Try re-mounting the fan, it's possible one of the clips didn't pop all the way in. In any case, it's either HSF failure or incorrect readings, more likely the former, the Hyper 212 will fix that issue.
    Super casual.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    Sounds like it needs new thermal paste 70+C on old CSS O.O jebus! What are your idle temps?
    I re applied some thermal paste last night. My idle temps are around 35-37 degrees.