Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Can somebody please clarify this?

Guild Wars 2 is looking up to be a huge world (as it should be) I've been looking through interviews however and cannot find one thing mentioning long distance travel... How does it work? I haven't seen anybody use mounts as of yet (Have they not yet been implemented?) Please can somebody help me out with this thanks

Traveling throughout the world is done through waypoints. You can instantly travel to the other side of the world so long as you have that waypoint unlocked. You can unlock waypoints by visiting it in the world.

You can teleport from anywhere to waypoints you have discovered in the world

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Waypoints

Deleted
    Hmm that's become the only thing I don't like about Guild Wars 2 then, thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by Kuel View Post
    Hmm that's become the only thing I don't like about Guild Wars 2 then, thanks guys
    You could walk I guess if it really bothers you, but be honest with yourself. How many times have you alt-tabbed when on a flightpath in WoW? Probably more times than you can count.

Quote Originally Posted by Plagous View Post
    Traveling throughout the world is done through waypoints. You can instantly travel to the other side of the world so long as you have that waypoint unlocked. You can unlock waypoints by visiting it in the world.
    Aw, but now I won't have bathroom breaks from flight points...

Oh, and yay Grenth!

Deleted
    As stated by others you travel by the use of waypoints.

Deleted
    You have to admit that devs done pretty good job if thats only thing you don't like.

10+ Year Old Account
    I heart Waypoints.

Deleted
    I hardly ever Alt-Tab while using Flight Masters, Being allowed to fly over content you have already completed isn't really an issue but by having Way-point's it takes away this magical moment you get when you're levelling up and your Bat/Gryphon whatever has to cross a higher level zone. The only example I can think of so far is the Stormwind to Ironforge flight. Am I the only one that was stunned as I flew over the Blasted Lands and saw all the high level creatures below (For instance the Dwarves fighting the dragon) and then Blackrock Mountain? Being able to view things from the safety of the sky rather then on the ground with mobs just seems more brilliant to me, and makes more sence then using portals everywhere. But like Leipuri said the Devs have done a hell of a good job so far

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    The first time you saw it, yes it was amazing. Second, a bit. Third... I just alt-tabbed or picked up a book.

i have a question will all way points be in camps or will you have to actually discover them (I'm pretty sure there in camps just making sure.)

Also I hated flying in WoW, sure at first it was great, but after awhile it was just boring.

Quote Originally Posted by IMonstrousI View Post
    i have a question will all way points be in camps or will you have to actually discover them (I'm pretty sure there in camps just making sure.)

Also I hated flying in WoW, sure at first it was great, but after awhile it was just boring.
    There are numerous waypoints in just about every location type. There are easily 10+ in Divinity's Reach alone. You will have to discover them to use them. Waypoints can also be disabled if the town or outpost is captured by enemies.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hardly ever Alt-Tab while using Flight Masters, Being allowed to fly over content you have already completed isn't really an issue but by having Way-point's it takes away this magical moment you get when you're levelling up and your Bat/Gryphon whatever has to cross a higher level zone. The only example I can think of so far is the Stormwind to Ironforge flight. Am I the only one that was stunned as I flew over the Blasted Lands and saw all the high level creatures below (For instance the Dwarves fighting the dragon) and then Blackrock Mountain? Being able to view things from the safety of the sky rather then on the ground with mobs just seems more brilliant to me, and makes more sence then using portals everywhere. But like Leipuri said the Devs have done a hell of a good job so far
    Yeah, after seven years on the scene, I think I can say: It's very boring, so I alt-tab and browse the forums. Like these.

Deleted
    Still, that will always be a remembered moment and the idea just seems so much more realistic then Waypoint's

10+ Year Old Account
    You can still get that sense of exploration because you have to walk there first to unlock the waypoint. Even if they didn't have waypoints, I think they would probably come up with another travel means because it seems they feel flying makes the world feel a little less magnificent.

Also, regarding realism... Let's just say the Asura invented a device that lets you teleport to certain locations. This isn't too far-fetched since they had already invtend Asura Gates 250 years ago. No more far fetched than flying cross-continent on a Gryphon, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've seen, Waypoints are only for intra-zone travel. You can jump to any Waypoint you've discovered (and is not taken over) in the zone at any time.

To travel between different zones, you have to get to Asura Gates. I don't know if you can travel to any other Asura Gate when you get to one, or if each Asura Gate has one specific destination.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Zed View Post
    From what I've seen, Waypoints are only for intra-zone travel. You can jump to any Waypoint you've discovered (and is not taken over) in the zone at any time.

To travel between different zones, you have to get to Asura Gates. I don't know if you can travel to any other Asura Gate when you get to one, or if each Asura Gate has one specific destination.
    Sorry, but you're only half right. You can travel to any unlocked waypoint. Even if it's in another region. The farther away it is, the more expensive it is to use.

Also, there was only one asura gate in the tour divinity's reach video I saw. So I'm assuming that you will be able to teleport to any of the other 5 cities. It would be stupid of ArenaNet to create artificial traveling barriers like you speak of. It would only anger their players.
    Last edited by Plagous; 2011-10-09 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Plagous View Post
    Sorry, but you're only half right. You can travel to any unlocked waypoint. Even if it's in another region. The farther away it is, the more expensive it is to use.

Also, there was only one asura gate in the tour divinity's reach video I saw. So I'm assuming that you will be able to teleport to any of the other 5 cities. It would be stupid of ArenaNet to create artificial traveling barriers like you speak of. It would only anger their players.
    And if I remember correctly, Asura Gates are free travel. Which, depending on how far it is, the cheaper (though slightly slower) method might be to take a waypoint to the nearest Asura Gate, take that to the Asura Gate nearest your destination, then take the waypoint from there to your destination.

I haven't followed GW2 too closely up till recently, but I have to say I absolutely LOVE this idea. Not having mounts at all is kinda meh, I'd like to have ground mounts at least for faster travelling from quest point to quest point, but that's just me. For long distance travel waypoints are a godsend, I main a mage in WoW and when I'm on alts I feel so gimped having to spend 10 minutes flying cross continent on some "scenic" flight route for the 800th time.