Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Seriously Considering Guild Wars 1

Hello everyone, long time lurker first time poster.

I have been seriously considering buying and playing Guild Wars 1 since Guild Wars 2 won't be released until next year. I need a time sink as far as gaming is concerned as HoN is becoming dull and I've had to resort to replaying old FPS games (L4D2, not that theres anything wrong with it, however, I would like a nice time sink with a sense of accomplishment).

I played WoW since vanilla on and off and quit prior to patch 4.2 with no intention of returning to WoW. My biggest fear about GW1 is that I will become quickly bored of it or that I'll be looking for that WoW feel. Is the single player campaign worth it and what of the multiplayer aspect? Also, the Hall of Monuments is also helping push me over the edge to purchasing GW1. What are everyone's thoughts about the Hall of Monuments? Does it make playing GW1 worth it any more?

Kind of a loaded topic, I know. Thanks in advance.

I was considering making a kind of video series where I play through GW, but since english isn't my native language, I guess people will just go "oh man, I can't stand hearing this retarded voice!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    I was considering making a kind of video series where I play through GW, but since english isn't my native language, I guess people will just go "oh man, I can't stand hearing this retarded voice!"
    Just do it man, i'll love it ;-)

Deleted
    Well I wouldn't speak against it. GW1 is a really good game - Even if it lacks the sheer amount of content that WoW has, what it does have can still keep you entertained for hundreds of hours.

Just remember that it's a lot different from WoW. It's even a lot different from what GW2 seems to be like too.

The HoM stuff is just for looks, though, and you won't really start unlocking any until the endgame - Which comes after you've completed the campaigns.

I will say that if you want to play GW play it for the game's sake, not for the rewards that you get for GW2. Download the trial first to see if you like the mechanics of the game. I know a lot of people who can't get over the different style of play that GW has in comparison to all of the other mmos out there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhomaioi View Post
    The HoM stuff is just for looks, though, and you won't really start unlocking any until the endgame - Which comes after you've completed the campaigns.
    Given an average of 2-3 hours a day, would you think it possible to complete the campaigns and get 30/50 of the monument points by the time GW2 comes out?

If you want to get some extra bonuses in GW2, i'd say yes, go ahead and get GW1 and start working on your HoM.

Quote Originally Posted by seamaf View Post
    Given an average of 2-3 hours a day, would you think it possible to complete the campaigns and get 30/50 of the monument points?
    You can easily get that.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's probably going to be what I'll go with. I didn't even think about the trial but i suppose it will be the best way of realizing whether or not I can get used to the different game play.

Don't enter GW1 focusing on HoM rewards in GW2 or you'll focus on it as a grind rather than the amazing game it is.

10+ Year Old Account
    The HoM won't be my main focus, however, I did state that I wanted some sort of sense of accomplishment. Thats what really fuels me in MMOs. So more likely then not, it will eventually become a major focus of mine after the amazing campaign everyone seems to praise. It should be fun.

The campaigns are some of the best stories in any game I've played.

If you plan on playing every campaign with a single character, I strongly suggest you start in Prophecies purely for the starting experience, it puts everything else you've ever seen to shame

I tried GW1 after a year of no gaming, warcraft was the last game I played and for three years. I felt I had enough time away to have a open mind. It was alright but the ability to not jump and some of the graphics were a let down. I am in NO way holding that against GW2. I plan on purchasing GW2 as it looks fantastic from what media is out about it. I want something the wife and I can play when there isn't anything else to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    The campaigns are some of the best stories in any game I've played.

If you plan on playing every campaign with a single character, I strongly suggest you start in Prophecies purely for the starting experience, it puts everything else you've ever seen to shame
    Thats a mighty big statement. I personally LOVED WC3 lore up until WOTLK came out. So lets see what this is about. Everyone in this thread has got me hyped about it. Should there be a specific profession I should go to make it easier or should I stick to my preferred gameplay style? (Slow melee 2 handed)

Quote Originally Posted by seamaf View Post
    Thats a mighty big statement. I personally LOVED WC3 lore up until WOTLK came out. So lets see what this is about. Everyone in this thread has got me hyped about it. Should there be a specific profession I should go to make it easier or should I stick to my preferred gameplay style? (Slow melee 2 handed)
    Stick to what you like to play, because if you're not playing something you like, it will get boring very quickly.

Go for it.

It's only $50 and you will get your money's worth.

By the way, why is 30/50 HoM points some magic number?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    Go for it.

As far as my understanding goes you only get titles after the 30 point mark. And I can find it on Amazon for $35 if anyone is interested. (Original game and all the expansions)

Deleted
    It's worth it, i got a sweet deal on Steam for all 3 expansions and i love it. You can play it as a single player game like final fantasy with an awesome story.

Quote Originally Posted by LonestarHero View Post
    Go for it.

After 30 points all you get are titles.

You're probably going to want to try the trial first. It's definitely a kind of game that you'll either love or hate.