Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    Basically Fish sauce is the Thai replacement for salt. In places (in North America) where we'd add salt, they would use fish sauce. I mean... that's the low down and dirty basic explanation.

However, we basically only use it when we actually eat Thai food (which I'll be the first to admit isn't more than a few times a month). Otherwise, if something needs a little bit of extra seasoning, I guess we'd just use sea salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Radux View Post
    Basically Fish sauce is the Thai replacement for salt.
    Ahh, I hadn't thought of it that way. I know in Vietnam some people pour the stuff on pretty much everything, much like some people in the US dump salt on everything. Makes more sense now.

Edit: As an example of something I make that features fish sauce a bit, I have what I call a Thai-style chili beef ("Thai-style" because I know it's not authentic). I don't know measurements for this one, so I apologize.

1. Slice up some beef thin (whatever cut you'd normally use for a stir fry). Make a thin paste with some fish sauce and brown sugar, add a pinch of ground coriander and white pepper, then toss the beef with it to coat. Set aside and let sit at room temperature 15-30 minutes, or up to a few hours in the refrigerator.

2. Make a sauce of equal parts fish sauce, rice vinegar, water, a half part chili-garlic paste (should be able to find in the same section with the fish sauce), and a big pinch of brown sugar (should be about 1/3 cup of sauce when you're done, i think). Set aside.

3. In a hot pan, cook the beef strips in a single layer (do multiple batches if it can't all fit) until browning around the edges; flip, and do the other side. Remove from pan and set aside.

4. In the same pan, saute a couple chopped chilies and shallots until they start to get soft; add some garlic and cook just until fragrant. Remember to scrape up any beef bits stuck to the pan. Add the sauce made above and simmer until it reduces a bit. Add the beef back in (pour in any juices as well). Toss to combine, add some fresh chopped mint and cilantro. Done. Serve with a couple lime wedges and a bit more mint and cilantro on top. Pairs well with rice or noodles.
    Last edited by belfpala; 2011-10-15 at 07:08 PM.