Deleted

How could I be my own ISP?

Hey,

Say money was no object, how easy would it be to skip past the ISP step in connecting to the net?

10+ Year Old Account
    Now back to the good part!
    This is the tale of Captain Jack Sparrow! Pirate so brave, on the seven seas! Mystical quest to the Isle of Tortuga! Raven locks sway on the ocean's breeze!

<While entertaining this user did receive an infraction for minor spam.>
    Last edited by OhpUldum; 2011-10-10 at 05:38 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Unless you own your own fiber-optic network you'd still have to get internet access from a regional or national backbone provider.
    Your local ISP's "rent" internet from them and provide it to you. If you were to make your own ISP you'd be a satelite like them. You don't get to use the network they built and spent money on without them knowing.

The better question to ask yourself is why do you want to be your own ISP?

Deleted
    I was just wondering. So to get the best internet possible I would have to buy and install my own lines and use them in place of BT? :P where would I then connect to ?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twirls View Post
    I was just wondering. So to get the best internet possible I would have to buy and install my own lines and use them in place of BT? :P where would I then connect to ?
    you would connect to your national/international exchange

Just curious. Do you own the money to make yourself to an ISP?

10+ Year Old Account
    Uhm, well you could I suppose pay your local ISP for the cable and labour to run a fiberoptic cable from their local data centre to your building (and if its the appartment you'd have to negotiate with the landlord too).

Except that seems a bit too extreme, and why would they agree to do that for you? As opposed to doing this only for you they'd much rather like to have a proper infrastructure to support your entire neighbourhood. If money was truly not a problem you could ring them up and say you want to sponsor a project that will introduce high speed internet to your area. That also brings you to the point where you would become an investor in their company (unless you just want to pay for everything and get nothing back in which case I'll remind you of starving african children). Or maybe their long term goal is to provide high speed internet in your area eventually but its not an immediate concern, you could still become a sponsor to cover some of the cost and hope that will motivate them to undertake the project.

If you want to watch youtube videos in 1080 and not in 720 I suggest you suck it up, relocate, or wait while your local ISP's decide to up build the network in your area to support high speed internets.

To get THE BEST internet you'd want to live next door to a major internet hub and then the limiting factor will be how far the server you are trying to access is as opposed to the speed of the network.
    Last edited by Linaver; 2011-10-10 at 05:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Linaver View Post
    To get THE BEST internet you'd want to live next door to a major internet hub and steal their bandwidth.
    This is the best solution.

(Disclaimer: This is illegal. Don't do it. Really.)

Quote Originally Posted by burghands View Post
    Now back to the good part!
    This is the tale of Captain Jack Sparrow! Pirate so brave, on the seven seas! Mystical quest to the Isle of Tortuga! Raven locks sway on the ocean's breeze!

<While entertaining this user did receive an infraction for minor spam.>
    i dont get it
    Quote Originally Posted by narutoboi97 View Post
    lol players say hon sucks
    hon players say lol sucks
    they are both right
    dota is KING!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphorism View Post

(Disclaimer: This is illegal. Don't do it. Really.)
    Could I not 'Hire' it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Twirls View Post
    Could I not 'Hire' it?
    Yes you can, if you are willing to move where you live for the sole purpose of having faster internet then your solution is a simple one.

Deleted
    Awesome, cheers