10+ Year Old Account

Logitech G35 Headset and WoW Audio Settings Question

I've owned my G35s for over two years now, and they've been the best headset I've ever owned.

However, recently I noticed the sound was...off. The best way I could describe it was "muffled". It just didn't sound as good.

Anyways, my memory is flat-out terrible, so I now come here in hopes of finding some help from my fellow WoW players.

In your sound settings, what does it display for your G35 headset?

I'm probably wrong, but it looks like it's displaying 4 speakers for my headset:

I know that they don't sound right, so I went out and purchased a new headset. This time I wanted to try something different, so I went with the Razer Carcharias. Not gonna lie: they're just nowhere as good as my G35 when I first purchased it.

So, before I go back to Best Buy for the 3rd time (before I picked up the Razer headset I tried out the WoW Headset *shudder*), I would like to know that I'm not just losing my mind and hearing things.

I own them and haven't noticed any muffled sound, but looking at your screen shot I have noticed some differences on how you have it set in wow.

First, the headphones are speakers to windows and games, so you need to uncheck headphone mode. Second, I always leave it set to system default and set the default in windows. Not sure if the second part is really needed, but that's how I have things set and I haven't noticed any problems like you've mentioned.

Hope this is helpful for you, cause I love my G35s too!

I don't notice muffled sound, but I just use "System Default" in WoW and set the default to the headset.

And yes, turn off Headphone Mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    I'm probably wrong, but it looks like it's displaying 4 speakers for my headset
    Nope, its just saying its the 4th time its identified a Logitech G35. (So you've presumably run it on 3 other USB ports in the past)
    That 4th installation has its own configurations and settings separate from the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd - even though it is technically the same device.

As such, if you had applied any equalizer settings or other sound modifications to one of the previous installations - they will not apply to this 4th.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-10-10 at 06:54 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkXale View Post
    Nope, its just saying its the 4th time its identified a Logitech G35. (So you've presumably run it on 3 other USB ports in the past)
    That 4th installation has its own configurations and settings separate from the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd - even though it is technically the same device.

As such, if you had applied any equalizer settings or other sound modifications to one of the previous installations - they will not apply to this 4th.
    So, where in the WoW folder would I go to reset the settings?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikaru View Post
    I tried turning off headphone mode and set it to default (both in WoW and my system), but it still sounds "weak".
    Alter the sampling rate of the device to 24-bit 96khz. Also try and remember if you applied any special effect settings, either to the previous or to your current. I know that the 'Virtualized 3D' setting present in Creative cards can often cause sound to loose some of their punch. Its possible you've accidentally activated a similar setting on your device.

Windows should offer a blank 'switch off everything' setting - that I tend to activate on any devices that should not have such settings active. (Simplifies troubleshooting, avoids driver problems and unexpected performance complications)

(Note, this window will vary in appearance from driver to driver)

Also make sure that the device is properly recognized as a STEREO device here, and is not set to a surround or multispeaker configuration.
    Last edited by mmoca371db5304; 2011-10-10 at 07:03 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've messed with just about everything, but it doesn't sound just right.

I think I'll just return the Razer headset, get my money back, and stick with my G35 headset since they still work. I'll probably just wait it out until the new Razer Tiamat comes out next month, since it's supposed to be true/honest 7.1 surround sound.