how can i clean in between the spaces of the keys on my keyboard?

on my keyboard (laptop) the keys have tiny spaces between them, and below them. so things tend to get stuck under them. how can i clean out the spaces effectively?

You will really have to take you laptop apart at least partially! There are little vacuums w/ brushes but only work if it is all dry material you are trying to clean up not stuff like dust that has had pop or juice spilled on it! Laptop keyboards can be replaced and are for the most part fairly easy to take off! I would look into youtube videos on replacing laptop keyboards and you should be able to find an instructional video that will give you a general idea of where to start! Good Luck!

Canned air usually works quite well. Or you can try http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/b88d/
    Author of Instance Profit Tracker
    Find out how much gold you earn soloing raids and dungeons

Curse | GitHub
    WowInterface

disassemble it if its off warranty, its really easy and hard to mess things up

EDIT: oh its a laptop, id still disassemble it, but itll take some time to do so on a laptop
    Last edited by t2r2s; 2011-10-10 at 07:09 PM. Reason: MA GAWD ITSA LAPTIIOP

Herald of the Titans Sephiracle's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If you don't have a touchpanel section or a LCD screen on it anywhere, I would take the keyboard apart and toss the top portion in the dishwasher.
    LoL: Kr1sys
    WoW:'06 - '11 '14-?' : Krisys - Blood/Frost DK | Sephiracle - Arms/Prot Warrior | Sephyx - Shadow/Disc Priest | Petergriffin - Huntard

Depends on how far in you want to go. Most laptop keyboards can be "easily" removed and you can either tip anything out or clean as you need be. There's usually a clip or two and a screw under the laptop that holds it into place. Take a look at your manufacturer's web site for instructions, they are usually on there somewhere, but it usually isn't hard to do. Be careful, there is probably a ribbon cable under there that connects to your touch pad and probably goes under the outside frame. You don't want to ruin that cable, they are generally pretty flimsy. You could pop a few keys to give you some limited access. I'd recommend looking to see if your keys are easily removed and re-inserted. A few keys, like the space bar, will probably have a bar under there that can sometimes be a pain to use and sometimes won't want to go back in properly. I wouldn't recommend this as a first option, but I've done it before...just do at your own risk.

Or you could always spend $20 and buy one of those little pocket vaccums. It's probably the safest bet and you can get some of whatever nasties you have under there!

10+ Year Old Account
    Air compressors from air-beds, car tires, bike wheels etc... all work quite well ;-)

Just remember not to get carried away and blow it inside the machine making the fan spin.
    Last edited by Djinni; 2011-10-10 at 07:42 PM.

Just take the keys off, most of them are click ons anyway, but I'd make sure before.

10+ Year Old Account
    Easiest and fastest:
    Purchase a new keyboard for your laptop and replace it yourself. An OEM keyboard usually runs $10-$20.

Cheaper and slower:
    1) Condensed Air
    2) Pop off and replace keys using rubbing alchohol and swab
    OR
    3) Detach keyboard and bathe it in rubbing alchohol. Let dry COMPLETELY, and re-attach.

I usually just purchase a new keyboard when it starts getting gunky.