Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Looking for a new type of magic.

This post might meander a bit. Apologies in advance.

I have been thinking about 2 things side by side recently, though they haven't really crossed in my mind until today. First is the last profession. Everyone assumes it will be a Mesmer, but will it be a Mesmer we recognize? I say we, but really mean "you" as in GW1 players since I have no first hand knowledge of them. I have heard though their playstyle is more about CC and draining or denying resources, such as mana. I am wondering, how could this work at all in GW2? There is no mana. Sure you can still CC, but they need more than that. What would be their flavor? Guardians have the fire of justice and virtues, Elementalists have their attunements, Necromancers build up the meter for their death shroud and so on. I am having a real hard time figuring out what a Mesmer's schtick would be.

The second thing on my mind is how boring most magic in games has become to me. It's getting sort of tired and cliche to the point I gravitate to magic that is somewhat out of the norm. Take Dragon Nest for a moment. The Mystic advanced class to be precise. And also more the Chaos Wizard side. It focuses on using gravity. How rare is that? In the game not only does it work, but it is visually delicious and it works very well. I have problems with some core pieces of Dragon Nest so it isn't the game for me, but I did love my Mystic.

This got me thinking and hoping that the final class, whatever it may be, has some sort of magic that sets it apart. I don't mean to knock em, but the elementalist and the necromancer are so tired and played out to me personally I don't think I could get into them. When I actually stumbled onto some info from the cancelled project "Guild Wars: Utopia" and saw a Chronomancer I was ecstatic! Until I learned that ANet said specifically that the last profession wouldn't be one. That would have been my class for certain!

So, after all that rambling, what do you guys think? Does GW2 need a new type of magic to break up the cliche of elements and death magic? Will a Mesmer work or even make sense in GW2? I really don't know and would love to hear what you guys think.

Excellent topic, this crossed my mind a lot of times. The Mesmer we as GW1 players know, won't probably be the same. Since there's no real casting time in skills interrupts are pretty useless. I can it become a sort of Conjurer or Illusionist, or some Mind Dominator type. A mesmer will use spells to degenerate health from it's opponents.

Illusionist; Hexes are no longer in the game, so I presume skills that give or does damage when the opponent has Conditions on it or will receive a high doses of Conditions.

Conjurer; They will summon ghosts, weapons, or some illusions (think about the Shadow thing the Shadow Priests have).

Or final.

The Mind Dominator; These will use area of effect spells to hurt enemies with Mesmerisch spells, let's say;

Everything in selected area will suffer damage and receive some conditions like spells.

So TL;DR. The Mesmer in GW1 did interrupt, hexes. Both are removed from the game. The reason why Mesmer is the 8th profession is that they needed to focus on this profession a lot. Giving it new aspects, a better play style, a play style which encourage players to play a Mesmer again and still above all, feels like the Mesmer all the GW1 know about. Think about spells like Chaos Storm. This spell is likely to return in GW2.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bloodhunter View Post
    Excellent topic, this crossed my mind a lot of times. The Mesmer we as GW1 players know, won't probably be the same. Since there's no real casting time in skills interrupts are pretty useless. I can it become a sort of Conjurer or Illusionist, or some Mind Dominator type. A mesmer will use spells to degenerate health from it's opponents.

Illusionist; Hexes are no longer in the game, so I presume skills that give or does damage when the opponent has Conditions on it or will receive a high doses of Conditions.

Conjurer; They will summon ghosts, weapons, or some illusions (think about the Shadow thing the Shadow Priests have).

Or final.

The Mind Dominator; These will use area of effect spells to hurt enemies with Mesmerisch spells, let's say;

Everything in selected area will suffer damage and receive some conditions like spells.

So TL;DR. The Mesmer in GW1 did interrupt, hexes. Both are removed from the game. The reason why Mesmer is the 8th profession is that they needed to focus on this profession a lot. Giving it new aspects, a better play style, a play style which encourage players to play a Mesmer again and still above all, feels like the Mesmer all the GW1 know about. Think about spells like Chaos Storm. This spell is likely to return in GW2.
    /\/\/\ This.

Also, wtb Professor X powers!

Deleted
    TBH I will be a little idssapointed if 8th class will be mesmer (I played GW1 a lot so I know what I'm saying) cause watching all the videos from GW2 I just can't fit mesmer there without making it a little weird elementalist/mage/random caster class. I would like it to be something new and shiny just like mesmer was in GW1 (for me).

Quote Originally Posted by Fhaerris View Post
    TBH I will be a little idssapointed if 8th class will be mesmer (I played GW1 a lot so I know what I'm saying) cause watching all the videos from GW2 I just can't fit mesmer there without making it a little weird elementalist/mage/random caster class. I would like it to be something new and shiny just like mesmer was in GW1 (for me).
    Speaking from a person who played GW1 for about 4000-4500 Hours. I see the Mesmer fitting in, however with some good changes made I don't see why they shouldn't.

Deleted
    As you said Bloodhunter with some good changes but without hexes and interrupts what good changes could be to not make it "another caster class"? I really have no ideas for this but I hope if they make mesmer it's gonna be awesome with some new cool mechanics.
    I can only think about some kind of summoner type class.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want something like a battle-mage type class. Aion did this perfectly with the Chanter class, it was exciting and new to play.

Quote Originally Posted by Fhaerris View Post
    As you said Bloodhunter with some good changes but without hexes and interrupts what good changes could be to not make it "another caster class"? I really have no ideas for this but I hope if they make mesmer it's gonna be awesome with some new cool mechanics.
    I can only think about some kind of summoner type class.
    I think it's a more controlling sort of class. It's bonkers to compare a Mesmer to any other casting class, because it's in no way alike.

In ways like stunning/dazing/controlling and putting out conditions and various AoE spells, I see much potential in the Mesmer. Also since you're aware of the Mesmer because you've played a lot of GW1, you should be aware of the Illusionary Weaponry Mesmer in GW1. I see this likely returning in GW2. Maybe they can take on some Chaos Form or maybe they can Mind Control the enemy to make them do stuff. Don't think that any class should be a stand away from the group and do as much AoE as possible, because mechanics in GW2 doesn't work that way.

10+ Year Old Account
    A gravity/time mage would be so awesome I would implode.

I think that Mesmer will have great use as range control. I thought that their stances might give a buff to the party around them. For instance, a stance that maybe makes their control spells a bit stronger that also buffs the parties run speed. Then as far as damage spells I thought they might have slightly smaller nukes than Ele with short term DoTs (6 or 7 seconds) as an after effect. Then large AoE damage/control abilities. I also thought that perhaps they would have 1 main pet, instead of the Necro having multiple pets up at once. Like a ghost or wisp that follows you around. But maybe that would be too many pet classes?

Edit: Also want to add maybe a debuff/finisher that adds an additional effect depending on the type of spell you cast. Nuke would be bigger, dots would tick higher or crit, control effects would be stronger and/or last longer. This finisher could also be changed to be a temp buff to the Mesmer which would cause the next 2 or 3 spells to have the buff.
    Last edited by fishious; 2011-10-11 at 05:35 PM.

The niche I feel is missing is the "light" magic; I haven't played Guild Wars 1 so I am not familiar with the lore or the environment, however this is "MY" class. I usually play the priest, the cleric, the monk... You know, the caster of light magic and of good (as opposed to the Necromancer, the wielder of dark/death magic).

I know there is the Guardian, but this comes off as more of the tank/melee type (correct me if I'm wrong). He was also using some type of blue magic, anyone know what that is? Not that color really matters, but it would just be a pretty big step from what I usually play. I don't know...

So that's what I am hoping for, something to fill my niche. At the moment, I am having a difficult time decided which of the current classes I feel most connected too...
    Last edited by anathama; 2011-10-12 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by anathama View Post
    The niche I feel is missing is the "light" magic; I haven't played Guild Wars 1 so I am not familiar with the lore or the environment, however this is "MY" class. I usually play the priest, the cleric, the monk... You know, the caster of light magic and of good (as opposed to the Necromancer, the wielder of dark/death magic).

I know there is the Guardian, but this comes off as more of the tank/melee type (correct me if I'm wrong). He was also using some type of blue magic, anyone know what that is? Not that color really matters, but it would just be a pretty big step from what I usually play. I don't know...

So that's what I am hoping for, something to fill my niche. At the moment, I am having a difficult time decided which of the current classes I feel most connected too...
    You're quite off here. Mesmers are mesmerizing character, they aren't light or dark magicians, they are deceiving and foul. When you think one thing, they do another. In Holy Magic you'll be playing a Guardian. The Guardian isn't forced to be a melee. With a Scepter a Guardian can be a strong backline caster with Smite attacks and protection ability's. Don't think a heavy armored player is forced to be at the front line.

Deleted
    Friendship! The magic of friendship! I expected Bloodhunter to come up with something like that, giving his/her Rainbow Dash avatar.

Jokes aside and back on topic. As was stated earlier, a battlemage would be awesome. Something that combines elemental magic and close combat.

Mesmer... but yeah, sounds like it will put alot of emphizise on the control. Mesmerize and so forth.

15+ Year Old Account
    You're quite off here. Mesmers are mesmerizing character, they aren't light or dark magicians, they are deceiving and foul. When you think one thing, they do another. In Holy Magic you'll be playing a Guardian. The Guardian isn't forced to be a melee. With a Scepter a Guardian can be a strong backline caster with Smite attacks and protection ability's. Don't think a heavy armored player is forced to be at the front line.
    Sorry, this is one of my pet peeves. Guardians are in no way holy or associated with the gods, or even being GOOD. The blue fire is the fire of justice that burns within guardians so brightly it flows out of them. They have a code and rules. You follow them or you face the guardian. They are tacticians and battlemasters. They are more a spellsword than a holy man.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Guardian

The guardian is a magically-themed soldier profession who is guided by their strength in the virtues; the burn of justice, the shield of courage and the vigor of resolve. They are tacticians by style, deploying wards and marking symbols to define the battlefield, while uplifting their allies through magical defenses. Their protective nature makes guardians one of the most supportive professions in Guild Wars 2.
    With the turmoil in Elona and the spread of the Order of Whispers into other lands, more Paragon teaching showed elsewhere in Tyria. These teachings melded with other traditions, and over time, the guardians and their abilities can be found throughout the world and among all the races. They are not tied to a particular race, philosophy, or group of gods but rather to a larger concept of proactive defense, of taking the fight to a foe and protecting those you fight alongside while appealing equally to humanity's defensive nature and the charr's desire to rule the battlefield.[

Quote Originally Posted by Xelios View Post
    Friendship! The magic of friendship! I expected Bloodhunter to come up with something like that, giving his/her Rainbow Dash avatar.

Jokes aside and back on topic. As was stated earlier, a battlemage would be awesome. Something that combines elemental magic and close combat.

Mesmer... but yeah, sounds like it will put alot of emphizise on the control. Mesmerize and so forth.
    I'll make 20 characters if we have a class associated to ponies or pony magic.

Sorry, this is one of my pet peeves. Guardians are in no way holy or associated with the gods, or even being GOOD. The blue fire is the fire of justice that burns within guardians so brightly it flows out of them. They have a code and rules. You follow them or you face the guardian. They are tacticians and battlemasters. They are more a spellsword than a holy man.
    Seeing as ANet said The Guardian is a merged Monk/Paragon it was obvious the Guardian worked in Holy Magic as well. Think I was a bit off myself there.

Deleted
    I'll make 20 characters if we have a class associated to ponies or pony magic.
    /Brohoof

You rock, brony.

I think the next profession will use Lactokinesis as their magic type.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K02LMcM2HQg
    If curiosity killed the cat, why can't speculation kill you?

I remember when I found out that Alliance and Horde were not the same as good and bad. I was so disapointed, I really wanted an mmo where I could play someone really really bad, with bad ethical choises to make. Slaughtering of innocents,yup you name the bad deeds and I wanted to do them (yes yes I know I am a bit messed up, I personally blame Canada).

Why wont they introduce a faction/profession thats really bad ass? And to hell with the moralists!
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?
    X:"Echo?"
    Echo: "What?!"
    X: "Nothing"

Quote Originally Posted by Armida View Post
    I remember when I found out that Alliance and Horde were not the same as good and bad. I was so disapointed, I really wanted an mmo where I could play someone really really bad, with bad ethical choises to make. Slaughtering of innocents,yup you name the bad deeds and I wanted to do them (yes yes I know I am a bit messed up, I personally blame Canada).

Why wont they introduce a faction/profession thats really bad ass? And to hell with the moralists!
    That would be a real pvp'ish world imo. Guild Wars doesnt work that way and they don't want people to be seperated from each other and unable to play with each other, or being forced to pick a side that they have no intention of picking.

15+ Year Old Account
    Just going to bump with some content to give an example of what I was refering to.

A skill that places down 3 gravity balls. http://youtu.be/ce90ao-pP6w

A black hole that sucks up enemies and does damage. http://youtu.be/MTeBcPeSOWU

A directed ball of gravity that does damage to what it hits and then explodes when it hits the ground, a wall or just the end of it's range. http://youtu.be/wLUpx-TdU8E

A gravity well that slows all enemies in the area. http://youtu.be/do1fBvz4sJI

A huge sphere of gravity that hovers over an area crushing all enemies underneath it. http://youtu.be/QTEN_owtX1M

I just love how it works. Too bad the game is not for me. I am hoping one of the spell casters will be this unorthodox in the type of magic they use and have it be as visually impressive.