A Question About CTC cap..

So my question is as a prot pally shall I make my ctc exactly 100% and start gemming stamina etc or leave it around 80-90% so I get 100% when I get my cd's on.The thing that made me think this was whats the point of using block number increase cooldown for example if I am ctc capped it wont change anything,or am I wrong ?

Thanks for answers

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's 102.4%.

And the whole idea is that, when your entire combat table consists of misses, dodges, parries, and blocks, the only damage you are taking from the bosses swings are reduced by at least 30%. It's like having 1.5 Divine Protections active, *all the time*. What kills a tank, requires cooldowns, or burns lots of healer mana, is spike damage. CTC coverage helps smooth out damage, and allows you to save your cooldowns for specific goals, either mitigating a special attack, or coordinating survivability with periods of high raid damage to ease the burden on healers.

The only cooldowns that give you CTC coverage would be trinkets, which have low uptime, and aren't passive. Plus, our best trinkets don't have those abilities on them, so you'd be using an inferior item to do a poor job of accomplishing the same goal. Holy shield is more powerful with more block, and stacking cooldowns on top of a passive 30%+ damage mitigation is like cheating compared to when another tank eats full damage hits.

TLDR: Get to 102.4%. It's really good.

You should always be aiming for 102.4%. The trick is what you do after that.

If you have any procs that involve more mastery (might only be porcelein crab from TotT, but just to be sure), should be gotten rid of. Mastery over 102.4% ctc is completely wasted. Dodge and Parry procs, though, are still valuable and should be kept. These will temporarily push block off the table but give you a higher chance for full avoidance.

Get to 102.4% ctc passively (stats, gems, enchants. not procs). Then you can either start converting mastery to dodge/parry for higher avoidance/block ratio, or you can just start stacking stamina. As a healer, I prefer tanks that stack stam at that point, since stam increases effective health even on magic heavy bosses, instead of slight improvements to mitigation against physical attacks.

Thanks for answers and what about;
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=20925
    this cd then it gives block chance will popping it make a difference

Quote Originally Posted by tuvan View Post
    Thanks for answers and what about;
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=20925
    this cd then it gives block chance will popping it make a difference
    It actually gives block value. It just makes your blocks more effective while it's active.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reith View Post
    It actually gives block value. It just makes your blocks more effective while it's active.
    and the main benefic of being ctc with this up is all bosses non-spells are reduced by 50% on you. for 1/3rd of the fight.
    if your not ctc you an click holy sheild and get hit for full value instead of blocking for 1/2 damg.

ctc makes having 30% reduction on non-spells go up to 50% for non-spells which is a massive damg reduction for 10 secs of every 30ish.

get the CtC once your there get more stamin and parry/dodge but parry/dodge over 16% is quite far into diminish that Gemming for Hybrid stamina is probably beter.