Page 1 of 3
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #1
    The Patient Lannden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Boston, Mass
    Posts
    315

    Is PvE a focus in GW2?

    I'm sorry if this has been asked already but could not find any recent good answers about it so here goes.

    I was having a discussion with a guildie tonight during a random about GW2. Our GM came in, he had played the original and said the endgame PvE content was more a means to an end of getting skills for PvP and was way too easy. This got me worried for GW, I know PvP is going to be a huge focus so what about PvE? All the videos I have seen of high end PvE dynamic events content was of people from Eurogamer and other cons with no experience playing there character so that is really a poor judge of difficulty.

  2. #2
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    PVP and PVE are an equal focus.

    Anyone that says GW2 is a PVP game should instantly be ignored because they obviously don't know much about GW2.

    ---------- Post added 2011-10-13 at 02:36 PM ----------

    Also, GW1 and GW2 are very different games.

  3. #3
    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

    This site shows just the tip of the iceberg for this game.

    And yes, as Mif said, GW1 and GW2 are like comparing a parakeet to an elephant. Two completely different beasts of their own.
    Last edited by Mighty Blue Bear; 2011-10-13 at 04:39 AM.

  4. #4
    The Patient Lannden's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Boston, Mass
    Posts
    315
    Thank you for the info. I have not been following the game as much as others so it is good to know there is a place I can guy to fill in the gaps!

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Lannden View Post
    Thank you for the info. I have not been following the game as much as others so it is good to know there is a place I can guy to fill in the gaps!
    Always willing to see if I can help.

  6. #6
    Herald of the Titans Eorayn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    2,963
    Equality for PvP and PvE.

  7. #7
    Like they said equal focus but I think your GM was being a bit overcritical of GW1 as well. Some of the GW1 PVE content was quite hard when it was released but much of it has been out so long that the best strats are quite well known. Just like if today's raiders were thrown back into some previous patch with apropreate gear and sent after raid bosses we would crush them just because they have few surprises for us. The hardest part would be geting used to the older spell mechanics agian. That and PVE wasnt just to get skills for PVP. you got points for PVPing you could buy the skills with just as esily as if you PVE'd for them. I know some people that never touched PVE at all and unlocked every skill they wanted and quite a few they didnt want.

    Who is John Galt?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    PVP and PVE are an equal focus.
    This is probably true from the developer's perspective.

    However, for many PvE players Guild Wars 2 will be just one out of many viable options. There are a lot of games where you can do dungeons and/or raid. Some will love the combat system and removal of the trinity; some will prefer to stick with their larger 10/25-man raid groups.

    For PvP players, GW2 is (imo) the holy grail -- the casual PvP is truly casual (hot-joinable), the competitive PvP is truly competitive (equal gear, not linked to character progression), and WvWvW is the only thing of its kind outside of now-defunct games like DAoC and WAR. There might even be a REAL competitive scene -- the kind involving pro teams and sponsored tournaments -- if ArenaNet is serious about wanting to push GW2 PvP as an e-sport.

    Yes, the devs will support both playstyles equally... and no, it won't be "a PvP game" per se. But I do think the community will be significantly more PvP-focused than the historical norm.
    Last edited by Wyrmrider; 2011-10-13 at 07:19 AM.

  9. #9
    Fluffy Kitten Bloodhunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    the Netherlands
    Posts
    2,277
    Quote Originally Posted by Lannden View Post
    Thank you for the info. I have not been following the game as much as others so it is good to know there is a place I can guy to fill in the gaps!
    Just read up on these forums as much as you can, many info is being shared he. Also you're sig is too big, remove either the Paladin or the Guardian one.

    Tomoko Eternal Life, Kilik Eternal Sun, Eira Frozen Hearted, Ashara Emberlight,
    Vuug The Deceiver, Grash Gravebuilder, Asgaut Divine Soul, Lera Dreamstealer

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    PVP and PVE are an equal focus.

    Anyone that says GW2 is a PVP game should instantly be ignored because they obviously don't know much about GW2.[COLOR="red"]
    Uhm.. what?!

    GW2 will have much more PVE content than GW1 but still this game has it's balance point tipped to PVP direction. You see, it's all about competition and based on the info they've released until now guilds can't compete in PVE, since there is no raids (which is good btw). In PVE the only way guilds can have fun on larger scale are DE's and that means guilds can't exclusively "claim" any success over it since anyone can join in. The most hard DE's will have to be completed by multiple guilds anyway. As far 5man goes while they are fun they can't provide enough "competitive nature" for entire guild. Beating super hard 5man will be registered more as a success of that particular group of people than their guilds.

    When you look at PVP side of the game there is much more potential for the guild activity. The mists(WvWvW) will provide unique experience of global conflict, creating and upgrading your own fortifications, planting banner of your guild on top of enemy fortress or just randomly hunting down enemies on battlefield will definitively be fun. On top of that we have BGs (perfect for guild setup) and possibility of creating our own custom tournaments. PVP presents more possible activities, more bragging rights and offers better overall enjoyment of team play.

    There are many discussions about GW2 "end game" - why there is no raids etc. But people miss the fact that PVP is the end game. Whole PVE experience, from personal story, through dungeons to hard DE's is there to make you want to interact with other people, learn the basics of team work and will make an easy and seamless transition from PVE to PVP. I can guarantee that people who never thought about PVP when coming to GW2 will crave for it and later enjoy it to the fullest.

    Anet stated very clearly that they want to push their game as an esport as far as it is possible. That by no means that PVE will be disregarded. I'm pretty sure PVE environment will provide tons of fun, so much actually some people will never move beyond that and they will enjoy it without the feeling that they are playing less developed part of the game. Although if you ever want to make some fame in GW2 as a guild.. you will be up the hills battling for that keep or winning 2nd tournament in a row.

    Peace.

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    {Snipped}
    Not to mention sidekicking and de-leveling in PvE/PvP servers. Players can level up their friend to do certain content or to help them out. On the other spectrum, if say a level 61 enters a 10-20 area, he will be de-leveled to an appropriate level (not sure right now) so he cannot ROFLSTOMP content, nor ROFLSTOMP lower level players on PvP servers.

    Both of these fun ideas I saw were in Warhammer online. They had sidekicking and if you entered a low level pvp area, you got "chickened" and could be one shot by low level players.

    But I like how they've improved and handled the whole de-leveling. Now if you go back to help a level 34 friend, you get down ranked to 38-40 and you can have fun re-experiencing that content with them and getting a challenge out of it again.

  12. #12
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    Uhm.. what?!

    GW2 will have much more PVE content than GW1 but still this game has it's balance point tipped to PVP direction. You see, it's all about competition and based on the info they've released until now guilds can't compete in PVE, since there is no raids (which is good btw).
    So basically you're implying that part of a game (ie pvx) doesn't count if it's not competitive?
    So despite having thousands of hours of PVE gameplay available, the fact that you can do a 10 minute competitive 5v5 makes it a PVP game?

    This is my WTF face ----> 0.o

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    So basically you're implying that part of a game (ie pvx) doesn't count if it's not competitive?
    So despite having thousands of hours of PVE gameplay available, the fact that you can do a 10 minute competitive 5v5 makes it a PVP game?

    This is my WTF face ----> 0.o
    Oh no you don't, I'm not letting you twist my words like that .

    I guess my friend was right when he introduced me to this forum - never write more than two paragraphs he said, people never read beyond that .

    On serious note: GW2 is constructed in a way that PVE is a "ladder" you climb to reach PVP. Although you can start leveling in the mists almost right away after personal story, huge majority will go on with PVE. So they made this ladder as more enjoyable as they could, people can stop at any step, look around and say: wow the view here is awesome, I'm staying. It's the beauty of this game, you are not required to go further up, you can enjoy anything you want without feeling gimped. But if you ever decide to move in to PVP you will discover even more possibilities and activities for your guild - that's it.

  14. #14
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    On serious note: GW2 is constructed in a way that PVE is a "ladder" you climb to reach PVP.
    Or in other words "end game".
    GW2 isn't designed around the concept of grinding to max level then playing "end game". "End game" in GW2 starts at level 1.

  15. #15
    Scarab Lord Wrathonia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Port Charlotte
    Posts
    4,095
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    Oh no you don't, I'm not letting you twist my words like that .

    I guess my friend was right when he introduced me to this forum - never write more than two paragraphs he said, people never read beyond that .

    On serious note: GW2 is constructed in a way that PVE is a "ladder" you climb to reach PVP. Although you can start leveling in the mists almost right away after personal story, huge majority will go on with PVE. So they made this ladder as more enjoyable as they could, people can stop at any step, look around and say: wow the view here is awesome, I'm staying. It's the beauty of this game, you are not required to go further up, you can enjoy anything you want without feeling gimped. But if you ever decide to move in to PVP you will discover even more possibilities and activities for your guild - that's it.
    I completely disagree. You can level up 100% in pvp. If you want to pvp but don't want to pve, that is fine. GW2 is built to support that. I love pve and have no desire to step into pvp. Don't try and make pve sound like the baby steps that lead into big boy pvp. It's insulting.

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Mif View Post
    Or in other words "end game".
    GW2 isn't designed around the concept of grinding to max level then playing "end game". "End game" in GW2 starts at level 1.
    Again, you missed my point:
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    It's the beauty of this game, you are not required to go further up, you can enjoy anything you want without feeling gimped.

  17. #17
    Pandaren Monk papajohn4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Hellas
    Posts
    1,963
    also keep in mind that there is no attribute like resillience to separate pve from pvp..thats awesome imo and is one the biggest mistakes of wow..someone explained it better that I can here :

    Character advancement gained in PvP is not usable in PvE and vice versa. I know why this was done in TBC, but I still think the advantages don't outweigh the disadvantages at all. Raiding just to gain equip for raiding and PvPing just to gain equip for PvPing not only rips my character in two halves, but also reduces my incentives to do either of the two.
    so GW2 not only have equal focus to pve and pve but also don't saparate them and thats awesome for me
    The trick of selling a PvP-MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    I completely disagree. You can level up 100% in pvp.
    Exactly what I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    you can start leveling in the mists almost right away after personal story
    As for:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    If you want to pvp but don't want to pve, that is fine. GW2 is built to support that. I love pve and have no desire to step into pvp.
    Exactly what I said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    I'm pretty sure PVE environment will provide tons of fun, so much actually some people will never move beyond that and they will enjoy it without the feeling that they are playing less developed part of the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrathonia View Post
    Don't try and make pve sound like the baby steps that lead into big boy pvp. It's insulting.
    Where do you get this feeling? In no way, shape or form my intention was to insult PVE oriented people . Please re-read my posts, hostility is unjust here - we are on the same side.

  19. #19
    I've always been a PvE focused player but the WvWvW is actually exciting me more than any other feature now (and that's saying something, because the rest is exciting me a lot!)

  20. #20
    I am Murloc! Mif's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Tarnished Coast
    Posts
    5,629
    Quote Originally Posted by Creepjack View Post
    Where do you get this feeling? In no way, shape or form my intention was to insult PVE oriented people . Please re-read my posts, hostility is unjust here - we are on the same side.
    No one is trying to be hostile , I just think no one has any idea what you're trying to argue.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •