Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by muchtoohigh View Post
    A thing that bothers me about the PvP setup is that you can start playing end game, max level, top gear, all abilities unlocked PvP as soon as you create your first character. I would much rather see that as a goal you work towards during leveling.

I never played GW1 and maybe I am carrying too much of a WoW mindset here, but doesn't there seem to be a lack of character progression once you hit level cap? If you get free top of the line gear for Competitive PvP, and there is no tiered raiding or dungeons, then what is the incentive to improve your character?
    You won't be able to use those skills, equipment, and the stats you acquired from the comp pvp setup in pve. You'll have to level him up in order to get all of that stuff in pve. At max level it is a horizontal progression model rather than the typical vertical one. What's nice about it is that the game doesn't change at that point, as opposed to WoW (as an example) where the game completely changes once you reach the level cap.

Quote Originally Posted by Doozerjun View Post
    You won't be able to use those skills, equipment, and the stats you acquired from the comp pvp setup in pve. You'll have to level him up in order to get all of that stuff in pve. At max level it is a horizontal progression model rather than the typical vertical one. What's nice about it is that the game doesn't change at that point, as opposed to WoW (as an example) where the game completely changes once you reach the level cap.
    This.

I'm tired of WoW, completely. This has always annoyed me about it; whenever you're satisfied with your gear and enjoying yourself, new gear comes out, and you WILL NOT be able to participate competitively in any NEW activities if you don't go through the idiotic grind process. I've said it once and I'll say it again; in WoW, I actually enjoy leveling more than being the top level due to how frustrating it is, which is why I have so many alts.

I don't want to open new thread and since my question is for pve lets be it :P How the character progress in GW2? Gear will not have stats as I hear, but how you make your character stronger over the time?I read about traits for example.is there anything else?can someone please explain me how you make your char stronger?do you aquire attributes in some way, for example via books or something?
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

Gear does have stats, but it's not the same gear progression that you see in WoW. You don't do PvE JUST for that gear once you hit max level. So your character will get stronger, but it won't be an endgame goal for you to reach. It's not nearly as dramatic as WoW's system.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by papajohn4 View Post
    I don't want to open new thread and since my question is for pve lets be it :P How the character progress in GW2? Gear will not have stats as I hear, but how you make your character stronger over the time?I read about traits for example.is there anything else?can someone please explain me how you make your char stronger?do you aquire attributes in some way, for example via books or something?
    Yeah, I've read that there are "dungeon sets" from the explorable dungeon mode(s) that players can get at 80, not sure but I'm betting there are duplicate sets for PvPing a whole bunch at 80. They're trying not to make people gun for gear so much; they want everything to play out evenly so that "using your skills>gear to roflstomp with".

They want people to notice the game/story more than gear/ilevel/(dps)numbers in GW2. There will still be powerful gear at 80, but you won't have this:

"Oh man, I just got all my XXX ilevel gear! Awesome!"
    {Random patch comes out with new YYY ilevel gear.}
    "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"
    {And thus begins another grinding process.}

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    Gear does have stats, but it's not the same gear progression that you see in WoW. You don't do PvE JUST for that gear once you hit max level. So your character will get stronger, but it won't be an endgame goal for you to reach. It's not nearly as dramatic as WoW's system.
    thanks for the answer but I am not really interested to learn how character progress different than wow :P I know how wow is and I never said I support the character progression as it is in wow..I just want to know how it is in GW2..for example during leveling every level I gain I get some attributes and then I decide how t osplit them among my attributes?and then when I hit 80 I continue to play the game..pvp, pve, dynamic events...also you talk about character get stronger like is something bad :P it is RPG and of course making your character stronger and stronger is a goal you want to achieve by participating in a variety of fun activities..you are not doing it only to be stronger, you enjoy the game, but also you want your character to have a n actual progress..where is the bad thing here?I don't know if it will be like wow or lotro or aion or anything else, I just have a question about :P

They want people to notice the game/story more than gear/ilevel/(dps)numbers in GW2. There will still be powerful gear at 80, but you won't have this:

"Oh man, I just got all my XXX ilevel gear! Awesome!"
    {Random patch comes out with new YYY ilevel gear.}
    "FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!"
    {And thus begins another grinding process.}
    this is the biggest mistake wow made after wotlk...gear reset in every patch!I am glad I will not see this in gw2. Also I don't want to get my character progress through time for ilevel/dps meters (I don't have addon with dps meters in wow I don't care, I pla yas tank, never cared about numbers)..
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2011-10-15 at 10:13 PM.
    The trick of selling a FFA-PvP MMO is creating the illusion among gankers that they are respectable fighters while protecting them from respectable fights, as their less skilled half would be massacred and quit instead of “HTFU” as they claim.

10+ Year Old Account
    thanks for the answer but I am not really interested to learn how character progress different than wow :P I know how wow is and I never said I support the character progression as it is in wow..I just want to know how it is in GW2..for example during leveling every level I gain I get some attributes and then I decide how t osplit them among my attributes?and then when I hit 80 I continue to play the game..pvp, pve, dynamic events...also you talk about character get stronger like is something bad :P it is RPG and of course making your character stronger and stronger is a goal you want to achieve by participating in a variety of fun activities..you are not doing it only to be stronger, you enjoy the game, but also you want your character to have a n actual progress..where is the bad thing here?I don't know if it will be like wow or lotro or aion or anything else, I just have a question about :P
    By 80 you get a certain number to spend on attributes, and you can also reset these attributes if you want to be "tougher to kill" or want "a higher crit chance" etc. And when you want to go back into certain zones to finish the quests, you will be de-leveled to an appropriate level for the zone. Now, you will be a little more powerful than your average 20/35/etc, but it will still give you challenge other than rolfstomping the zone/quests with your high level. Doing these quests/DE/etc will also help with your own personal story, something that can change even at 80.

By 80 you get a certain number to spend on attributes, and you can also reset these attributes if you want to be "tougher to kill" or want "a higher crit chance" etc. And when you want to go back into certain zones to finish the quests, you will be de-leveled to an appropriate level for the zone. Now, you will be a little more powerful than your average 20/35/etc, but it will still give you challenge other than rolfstomping the zone/quests with your high level. Doing these quests/DE/etc will also help with your own personal story, something that can change even at 80.
    thanks :P the deleveling part is amazing..and Ihope fighting mobs will be challenging and not 1-2 shot everything :P btw what I get is that either you play 40 hours or 5 hours the difference in characters will be minimal and let the skill decides who wins in a pvp situation for example :P that sounds very promising!

personal story will be amazing..I heard it will directly impact to your personal house environment :P so it is good that even in 80 you can still change your story and continue building your background :P
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2011-10-15 at 10:24 PM.

I never accused you of supporting the model, nor did I accuse it of being a bad thing. =P I was explaining that GW2 does have stat progression, but not on such a dramatic scale as WoW does. I was giving you something to compare it to. Chill out.

Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I never accused you of supporting the model, nor did I accuse it of being a bad thing. =P I was explaining that GW2 does have stat progression, but not on such a dramatic scale as WoW does. I was giving you something to compare it to. Chill out.
    sorry m8...yes I get your point :P it is just that I see in many threads posts like "this is not like wow", "the game has nothing to do with wow" e.t.c. so I am affected of these posts and I misjudge you probably..

sorry m8...yes I get your point :P it is just that I see in many threads posts like "this is not like wow", "the game has nothing to do with wow" e.t.c. so I am affected of these posts and I misjudge you probably..
    I know what you mean, haha.
    Some person questions something about the game and then people go crazy saying "just go play WoW then." It does get annoying.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    papajohn, what you will have to work at when you hit level 80, that can keep you playing. Will be mastery. Not as a stat, but as a player. You don't have to spend hours hunting the gear you need, so instead you can spend all the time you'd otherwise just put into grinding gear into mastering your class so that you can do things better and faster! Without the crutch of higher numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by Muzjhath View Post
    papajohn, what you will have to work at when you hit level 80, that can keep you playing. Will be mastery. Not as a stat, but as a player. You don't have to spend hours hunting the gear you need, so instead you can spend all the time you'd otherwise just put into grinding gear into mastering your class so that you can do things better and faster! Without the crutch of higher numbers.
    I understand but this also apply to all MMO m8...learning your class better and better by playing the game doesn't prevent other games to also reward you for your activities and make your character stronger in numbers through time..and actually I don't see where is the bad to get good at numbers..I play my protection paladin almsot 2 years now and I cannot say I have mastered him..yes I play extremely well now but others play way better than me..I can still improve further..but I cannot imagine my character in these 2 years be in same gear/stats..
    Last edited by papajohn4; 2011-10-16 at 01:16 AM.

I understand but this also apply to all MMO m8...learning your class better and better by playing the game doesn't prevent other games to also reward you for your activities and make your character stronger in numbers through time..and actually I don't see where is the bad to get good at numbers..I play my protection paladin almsot 2 years now and I cannot say I have mastered him..yes I play extremely well now but others play way better than me..I can still improve further..but I cannot imagine my character in these 2 years be in same gear/stats..
    in PvP he will be in the same stat gear, but the looks (aesthetics) will change to show your commitment and amount played in a PvP environment. in PvE though, your gear will change stat wise, which is fine balance wise for PvE but causes issues when u try to squish that into a PvP context as well. that's a key point in GW2 and how they draw the line and separate these two realms of play style.