Deleted

Can you flash any 6950?

I'm just curious to if it's possible to flash any of the 6950. If no. wich ones can you flash?

---------- Post added 2011-10-13 at 10:09 AM ----------

Mostly looking at this, and this.

Just wanted to add this. If you go to this page and scroll all the way down you can see a test of how many have been flashed of the brand and how many have succeded etc.
    Last edited by mmoc9eb0d33af1; 2011-10-13 at 08:12 AM.

The page you linked shows you can't unlock some 6950's so that answers your first question.

second question is probably best answered by google since both cards are 1GB models and more unlikely to be hackable.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    The page you linked shows you can't unlock some 6950's so that answers your first question.

second question is probably best answered by google since both cards are 1GB models and more unlikely to be hackable.
    Just wanted to make sure with you guys att MMO-Champion before making any purchase since some google links are outdated and I heard they had fixd some of the cards.

1GB versions cannot be flashed. Most 2GB versions can still be flashed.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Deleted
    That's wierd. From what I've read the 2GB's can't be flashed..

saphire has a 2GB model with a mechanical switch to make it a 6970

Deleted
    I just realized that my Corsair CX500W V2 power supply can't take on a 6970.. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    I just realized that my Corsair CX500W V2 power supply can't take on a 6970.. >.>
    Sure it can, np there. (no joke)

Deleted
    The Sapphire 6950 2GB "Dirt 3 Edition" cannot be flashed, I was a bit disappointed when I learned this after I had made the purchase. Looking back tho now it was still a hell of a deal with all that came with the bundle and I have been able to make a decent overclock on it regardless. Even if your 6950 cannot be flashed it is still one hell of a card! ;D

--Edit--

Just wanted to say that after I made this post I went to google to search for any new threads on flashing the "Dirt 3 Edition" and found this thread. Apparently it is possible to flash some of these cards while others have been laser cut, going to give mine another try with this method when I get off work! /crossfingers
    Last edited by mmoc5cf4839d28; 2011-10-13 at 09:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Masterec View Post
    Borderline really, and depends on the other components. Corsair CX series is pretty badly overrated. CX500 is in reality ~430W and full load of normal gaming computer with one Radeon 6970 and nothing overclocked goes over 350W.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Masterec View Post
    It can? I was told a GTX 560Ti was pushing it..

@Vesseblah How did you multiquote like that?

Technically you can flash every 6950 but there is a risk if you use cards without the bios switch, if it fails and the system refuses to boot you need either a on-board gfx card on the motherboard or a second gfx card to 'unbrick' it (there are also a lot of guides how you do this)

Just make sure you use the MOD and not the complete 6970 flash, since the 6950 got other vram/other ram timings there. You wont notice any difference using the 6950 mod or a full 6970, but it increases the chance of hardware failure if you use the latter.

I successfully unlocked the shaders on my 6950 and overclocked it to 950/1375 @1.165v (could go to 1000/1375 at 1.2v)

Thats my card http://geizhals.at/eu/599121 (sorry for the German website, but you can see model number etc there)

edit: there are some newer models with the unused shaders lazored, but most of them aren't googling is a good way to find out if its still unlockable

and a 500w Power supply can take a 6970 easy (or overclocked+unlocked 6950)
    Main: Shantál <Apex>- EU-Al'akir 13/13 HC since Feb 15th '11; 7/7 HC since Aug 18th '11; 8/8 HC since Jan 3rd '12
    Alts: Zeroday <Apex>- EU-Al'akir / Vitiation <Apex>- EU-Al'akir

Shantál vs Alysrazor HEROIC solo [click]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dologalot View Post
    The Sapphire 6950 2GB "Dirt 3 Edition" cannot be flashed, I was a bit disappointed when I learned this after I had made the purchase. Looking back tho now it was still a hell of a deal with all that came with the bundle and I have been able to make a decent overclock on it regardless. Even if your 6950 cannot be flashed it is still one hell of a card! ;D

--Edit--

Just wanted to say that after I made this post I went to google to search for any new threads on flashing the "Dirt 3 Edition" and found this thread. Apparently it is possible to flash some of these cards while others have been laser cut, going to give mine another try with this method when I get off work! /crossfingers
    If that doesn't work you could always try this

---------- Post added 2011-10-13 at 12:39 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by brolly View Post
    And a 500w Power supply can take a 6970 easy (or overclocked+unlocked 6950)
    Hmm.. Then I might consider buying one... Does any of the ones I linked in the OP have those switches?

Read my attemp at an official 6950 OC thread here

---------- Post added 2011-10-15 at 10:26 PM ----------

Technically you can flash every 6950 but there is a risk if you use cards without the bios switch, if it fails and the system refuses to boot you need either a on-board gfx card on the motherboard or a second gfx card to 'unbrick' it (there are also a lot of guides how you do this)

Just make sure you use the MOD and not the complete 6970 flash, since the 6950 got other vram/other ram timings there. You wont notice any difference using the 6950 mod or a full 6970, but it increases the chance of hardware failure if you use the latter.

I successfully unlocked the shaders on my 6950 and overclocked it to 950/1375 @1.165v (could go to 1000/1375 at 1.2v)

Thats my card http://geizhals.at/eu/599121 (sorry for the German website, but you can see model number etc there)

edit: there are some newer models with the unused shaders lazored, but most of them aren't googling is a good way to find out if its still unlockable

Had to overvolt higher to get 940 stable but i get memory clock at 1560 , all stable playin BF3 at ultra with everything maxed.

---------- Post added 2011-10-15 at 10:31 PM ----------

I'm just curious to if it's possible to flash any of the 6950. If no. wich ones can you flash?

---------- Post added 2011-10-13 at 10:09 AM ----------

Mostly looking at this, and this.

Just wanted to add this. If you go to this page and scroll all the way down you can see a test of how many have been flashed of the brand and how many have succeded etc.
    Oh and if you got a reference card you can put the 6970 bios with no problem, if its a non reference card just unlock the shaders and do the rest with MSI afterburner, anyway no need to make it a permanent bios OC, this way you can save a stable OC setup with fan speed curve correction an overvolt (1.3V max on stock coolign just to stay safe) and just turn it on when gaming this will keep your card alive longer (not that OC will use it faster but its always safer imo to not always have it OC).

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

10+ Year Old Account
    A "good" power supply can easily run a 6970. You, however, clearly didn't take the time to look at the power supply and see that it's not a very good one (Okay, it's good. Just a bit overstated).

That power supply only has 34A on the 12v rail, which = ~408W. Sure, the 3.3v and 5v rails are loaded, but too bad modern computer components draw almost all of their power from the 12v.

Honestly, it'll be close. Not sure what your system specs are, but if you've got an OC'ed Sandy Bridge or the like, chances are the PSU wouldn't be able to handle it. I like to play things safe, so I wouldn't do it.

As far as the 500w thing goes, I wouldn't bother. Most people that unlock their 6950's actually go into CCC and give the GPU +20% power. Giving it +20% power has been proven to give you more frames, http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/...ng/vidcard/159 is a very good article about the entire process.

Just looked at your links in the main post, didn't see that you already have the link I provided, but yeah...it really depends on what your setup is, I honestly would look into getting a new power supply anyways. Power supplies are the kind of thing that you can transfer to any future build so its a good investment.
    Last edited by Purplz; 2011-10-16 at 06:08 AM.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    I picked up the VisionTek 6950 2gb back in April and was able to flash the ASUS 6970 Bios

Quote Originally Posted by Purplz View Post
    As far as the 500w thing goes, I wouldn't bother. Most people that unlock their 6950's actually go into CCC and give the GPU +20% power. Giving it +20% power has been proven to give you more frames, http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/...ng/vidcard/159 is a very good article about the entire process.

Just looked at your links in the main post, didn't see that you already have the link I provided, but yeah...it really depends on what your setup is, I honestly would look into getting a new power supply anyways. Power supplies are the kind of thing that you can transfer to any future build so its a good investment.
    why not just fix the voltage at a good level ? way more efficient and stable.