Deleted

Ubuntu, Q about games.

Hi!

I'm a complete noob when it comes to Ubuntu but I would LOVE to give a try, especially the new 11.10 version.

I have only 1 question tho, I've looked up if it is possible to play W7 based games on Ubuntu and it is with "Wine", but how well does this work?

Will I be able to play my Steam games (such as BFBC2) as smooth as I do on W7? Will I be able to play BF3 /w Origins in Wine on Ubuntu, and so on..

Thanks in advance for your input.

It won't work as good as playing natively on windows 7.
    And not all games are compatible, since wine only supports a subset of the api.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Deleted
    Some games may work, but BFBC2 for example must be run in DX9 mode. And there are many older reports that the game simply does not work, has problems with corrupted elements, or that punkbuster does not work.

It is quite safe to assume that since BC3 expects DX11 - it will fail.

10+ Year Old Account
    I use Ubuntu for coding in like Java or C, but as far as running Win7 games in Wine goes, I'm going to go ahead and say many games, especially newer ones, will not run. Might get lucky with a couple but its just better to stick to Windows for gaming.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'd suggest running a dual boot. Have Ubuntu on one partition and Win 7 on the other partition. If you are using Windows 7 right now and want to install Ubuntu, Ubuntu will actually give you the option to create a secondary partition for it. Ubuntu will even install a boot manager for you so on start up you can select Windows 7 or Ubuntu.

Do your gaming on the Windows 7 partition and everything else in Ubuntu, its what I do and I love it.

Deleted
    Just run ubuntu in a virtualbox. Dualboot is too much of a hassle (always booting back and forth), and you're not really going to do any gaming in ubuntu anyway (unless you like tuxracer). For whatever I may need to do with ubuntu, I do it in a virtualbox, and it works wonders.

really helps if you have two monitors, here's what I'm doing atm: http://bindi.arkku.net/upload/4jU6HsgpbO.jpg

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bindi View Post
    Just run ubuntu in a virtualbox. Dualboot is too much of a hassle (always booting back and forth), and you're not really going to do any gaming in ubuntu anyway (unless you like tuxracer). For whatever I may need to do with ubuntu, I do it in a virtualbox, and it works wonders.

really helps if you have two monitors, here's what I'm doing atm: http://bindi.arkku.net/upload/4jU6HsgpbO.jpg
    Except a virtual machine uses up more system resources than a dual boot scenario. For someone with a weaker PC running a virtual machine and an OS within it would be too taxing on the system.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    Except a virtual machine uses up more system resources than a dual boot scenario. For someone with a weaker PC running a virtual machine and an OS within it would be too taxing on the system.
    He seems to have a decent enough machine for that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Culadin View Post
    I'd suggest running a dual boot. Have Ubuntu on one partition and Win 7 on the other partition. If you are using Windows 7 right now and want to install Ubuntu, Ubuntu will actually give you the option to create a secondary partition for it. Ubuntu will even install a boot manager for you so on start up you can select Windows 7 or Ubuntu.

Do your gaming on the Windows 7 partition and everything else in Ubuntu, its what I do and I love it.
    Oh great! Didn't know Ubuntu actually helps you with setting up a secondary partition, that's really helpfull because I was clueless so far in how to do that. Thanks.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Astug View Post
    Oh great! Didn't know Ubuntu actually helps you with setting up a secondary partition, that's really helpfull because I was clueless so far in how to do that. Thanks.
    Yeah its pretty simple. Download Ubuntu, burn the image to a DVD, then boot to the DVD. During the installation process it will ask you if you would like to create a second partition then it will ask you how large you would like the second partition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Setting up a virtual machine is the easiest option. The only problem the OP could run into is RAM. I have close to the same system, except 6GB of RAM and running an Ubuntu VM doesn't seem to tax it at all, takes maybe 10% of total cpu power.
    i7 930 @ 4.0Ghz | Sapphire HD5970 w/ Accelero Xtreme | ASUS P6X58D Premium | 32GB Kingston DDR3-1600
    Xonar Essence STX | 128GB Vertex 4 | AX750 | Xigmatek Elysium
    Laing D5 | XSPC RX 360mm | Koolance RP-452X2 | EK-Supreme HF
    Dell 3007WFP-HC | Samsung BX2350 | Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate | Razer Naga Molten | Sennheiser HD650

Deleted
    You're really better off trying it in virtualbox first. If you don't like it and you want to remove it, you're gonna have to fire up the windows installation and fix the MBR. Less of a hassle overall. And the rebooting back and forth is just really inconvenient.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by bindi View Post
    You're really better off trying it in virtualbox first. If you don't like it and you want to remove it, you're gonna have to fire up the windows installation and fix the MBR. Less of a hassle overall. And the rebooting back and forth is just really inconvenient.
    To late.
    Last edited by mmoc9e3819584c; 2011-10-15 at 03:52 PM.