i5 2400 vs phenom ii x6

Here my problem i can get the i5 2400 and keep my current graphics card or i could get the phenom ii x6 and upgrade my graphics card. Would upgrading my graphics card get me more fps or would upgrading processors. I video edited from time to time but its nothing super complex. I mostly just play wow,fps and watch movies and run virus scan and junk. Fps is the most important thing to me really. I got a 5850 but i could get a 6950. I might be wrong but would have to upgrade less with the phenom ii x6 or would it just be a waste of money. TY in advance : P

What about the i5 2500k, it is just slightly a bit more expensive and is much more powerful (due to its overclocking potential).

I would personally stay Intel ATM.

GTX 560 TI stable at 1GhZ
    PCPartPicker Love it.

Definitely stay intel.
    What's your current cpu/motherboard?
    I'd personally wait till the 7000 series to upgrade your gpu... 5850 is actually better than a 6850, just slightly under a 6870... won't be that much of an upgrade. Better off getting the 7950 or whatever when it comes out (in a couple months?).
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

i said 6950 : D but waiting for the 7000 series is a good idea

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Alright so let me see if I have this right. You are asking us which would be better to upgrade the processor or the graphics card. Yet you don't tell us what you have. All you do is tell us what you are looking between, and that being the i5 2400 or the phenom II X6 (which there is multiple of). I think you need to clearly state what you your current system spec's are, what games you play, your budget for the upgrade, and what you hope for out of the upgrade.

Current system:
    athlon ii x4
    4gb ddr3(can use up to 8 gb and will)

I just want a system that can fraps wow really I don't play anything else tbh.

Just wondering which would be a bigger upgrade. If i can get the 6 core proc. It would save me having to buy a new motherboard i don't want to spend more then 400. If i just get the i5 i cant upgrade my graphics card but would the better graphics card make up for proccesor.

Quote Originally Posted by hitmannoob View Post
    Current system:
    athlon ii x4
    4gb ddr3(can use up to 8 gb and will)

Just wondering which would be a bigger upgrade. If i can get the 6 core proc. It would save me having to buy a new motherboard i don't want to spend more then 400. If i just get the i5 i cant upgrade my graphics card but would the better graphics card make up for proccesor.
    I'm in the same boat you are, need a whole new rig but not in the budget. IMHO keep saving and go for a sandybridge setup.

Something like this...

If you dont want t reuse any of your current components add in what you need. If you are going to reuse your PSU could you provide a link so we can make sure its suitable.

I also get the impression you don't feel comfortable with overclocking if thats the case drop back down to a i5-2400/2500.

hope this helped ^^
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

Quote Originally Posted by TaintedOne View Post
    I'm in the same boat you are, need a whole new rig but not in the budget. IMHO keep saving and go for a sandybridge setup.

Something like this...

If you dont want t reuse any of your current components add in what you need. If you are going to reuse your PSU could you provide a link so we can make sure its suitable.

I also get the impression you don't feel comfortable with overclocking if thats the case drop back down to a i5-2400/2500.

hope this helped ^^
    Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply
    Should work with the setup I suggested.

I would keep saving and get a whole new rig. When its time to buy make a new thread with the parts you are going to reuse (links if possible) and parts you are going to order. Also did you want to overclock ? Most people would suggest the i5-2500k for gaming but if you are never going to overclock no sense in spending extra for an unlocked cpu mulitplier.

*edit* On a side note with Ivy bridge and next gen graphics cards coming next year hopefully the price on the last gen stuff will come down
    Last edited by TaintedOne; 2011-10-15 at 05:21 AM.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

prolly not seems like a pain as long as it records with 60 fps i am good(on full size don't know what that would require).

15+ Year Old Account
    Here my problem i can get the i5 2400 and keep my current graphics card or i could get the phenom ii x6 and upgrade my graphics card. Would upgrading my graphics card get me more fps or would upgrading processors. I video edited from time to time but its nothing super complex. I mostly just play wow,fps and watch movies and run virus scan and junk. Fps is the most important thing to me really. I got a 5850 but i could get a 6950. I might be wrong but would have to upgrade less with the phenom ii x6 or would it just be a waste of money. TY in advance : P
    A Phenom X4 should be able to run WoW with Shadows turned down, I use to play WoW on a 960 and it did just fine. I played all through Wraith on a Athlon 4800+ O.C to 2.5 and a 450 GTS and it was playable in Medium. Really a 3 year old CPU should have no issues playing a 6+ year old graphics engine. So for your question, are you willing to shell out $500+ for a new CPU/MB/GPU or are you looking into the cheapest route? Your CPU O.C should handle what you want unless your a FPS freak that just likes seeing big numbers. The 6 core wont net you much of a FPS increase in WoW but it would help for video editing and anything else that needs more cores. As for the GPU, going from a 5850 to a 6950 would give you a nice jump in Max FPS but the one you have should be able to hold it's own in that aged graphics engine known as WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by Auralian View Post
    A Phenom X4 should be able to run WoW with Shadows turned down, I use to play WoW on a 960 and it did just fine. I played all through Wraith on a Athlon 4800+ O.C to 2.5 and a 450 GTS and it was playable in Medium. Really a 3 year old CPU should have no issues playing a 6+ year old graphics engine. So for your question, are you willing to shell out $500+ for a new CPU/MB/GPU or are you looking into the cheapest route? Your CPU O.C should handle what you want unless your a FPS freak that just likes seeing big numbers. The 6 core wont net you much of a FPS increase in WoW but it would help for video editing and anything else that needs more cores. As for the GPU, going from a 5850 to a 6950 would give you a nice jump in Max FPS but the one you have should be able to hold it's own in that aged graphics engine known as WoW.
    I have everything but sunshafts on ultra on a 980 Black edition, still dont know wtf sunshafts do...Now a Hex core wont really do anything for an upgrade in wow terms over an i5 2400 graphics card will likely give u a huge leap up. Now id also venture to say if your looking at one of those DIY kits w/ a hex core and 6950 for like $500ish bucks yea why not buy it have a spare pc for w.e

For being able to run WoW (especially 25-man raids) and fraps at the same time i5-2400 will definitely be a bigger upgrade. Also you could take new fast HDD too unless you already have multiple 7200rpm discs.

---------- Post added 2011-10-15 at 10:55 AM ----------

I use to play WoW on a 960 and it did just fine. I played all through Wraith on a Athlon 4800+ O.C to 2.5 and a 450 GTS and it was playable in Medium. Really a 3 year old CPU should have no issues playing a 6+ year old graphics engine.
    I still can't understand what the hell is peoples' fixation with this utter bullshit statements. WoW's graphics engine has got major overhauls with every single expansion, latest was year ago so you can consider the hardware requirements being from 2010, not 2004 when the original game launched.

Also what hardware you used three years ago is totally useless info because of the said graphics engine overhauls and because 450GTS was not even released until after Ruby Sanctum patch making your statement either complete lie or complete exaggeration, both of which are completely worthless.

As for the GPU, going from a 5850 to a 6950 would give you a nice jump in Max FPS but the one you have should be able to hold it's own in that aged graphics engine known as WoW.
    Gratz on not reading the op's requirements. Neither WoW nor frapsing benefits one bit from the graphics card upgrade or higher maximum fps, what the OP needs to up is his minimum fps and that is purely a CPU problem and a bit of HDD problem in case of frapsing.

---------- Post added 2011-10-15 at 10:57 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    I have everything but sunshafts on ultra on a 980 Black edition, still dont know wtf sunshafts do...
    Sunshafts do this -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=May2R7b3jkk
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    oh some crap i never see cuz i raid sit in org Q dungeon raid sit in org Q arena and it continues like that

A 5850 is more than good enough for WoW and most fps games. You definitely need to upgrade your CPU if you want better fps in WoW and if you want to FRAPS your gameplay. An upgrade from an athlon II x4 to an i5 2400 would give you at least 50% higher average fps in WoW (and other CPU demanding games).
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Deleted
    as much of an AMD fanboy I am, bulldozer disappointed me and has proven that, for now, staying with Intel is the way to go.
    I will most likely switch from an AMD rig to an Intel rig by the end of this year / beginning of next when Ivybridge is released.

But for now, staying intel with save you a lot of money for future upgrades where you hopefully won't have to change mobo.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    i5 2400 $189.99
    MSI PH67S-C43 $84.99 (Went with an H67 board since you don't come across as the type to overclock, and with an i5 2400 not like you will be overclocking)
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 1TB 59.99 (You require a second drive to record FRAPS too, otherwise your FPS will take a nose dive since FRAPS and WoW will be running off the same drive.)
    Total $334.97 (You have room left over to upgrade to a P67 motherboard and an i5 2500K should you want to, but unless you plan to overclock it isn't necessary.)