15+ Year Old Account

Death Knight tank weapon from Deathwing?

If we're to believe what we see here, every role will get a weapon from Deathwing with a proc on it that compliments what they do. Now, how is this going to be for Blood death knights? Is the 2h sword proc going to benefit us, or are we going to be left having to use the axe from one of the earlier bosses that does not have a proc on it?

Let's remember that it's still PTR and nothing is final. This thread is going to be heavily based on assumptions.

Now, let's discuss; should Blizzard add another weapon for us? Let the sword proc benefit us? Or simply leave us out?

How about this:

If you don't have aggro on a mob, the summoned tentacle attacks your target once every second for XXX damage. If you have aggro, it increases your parry chance by X%. Works for both mDPS and 2h tanks. And makes sense gameplay wise.

Gut feeling, they might do this, considering the proc is quite vague.

Completely off-topic: "Horrific Gun" might be by favorite PTR raid item name ever.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mort459 View Post
    How about this:

If you don't have aggro on a mob, the summoned tentacle attacks your target once every second for XXX damage. If you have aggro, it increases your parry chance by X%. Works for both mDPS and 2h tanks. And makes sense gameplay wise.

Gut feeling, they might do this, considering the proc is quite vague.

Completely off-topic: "Horrific Gun" might be by favorite PTR raid item name ever.
    I would have to agree this sounds like a viable option. Making the tentacle somehow benefit tanks would be good. I just hope that would be on par with the 1h tanking weapon without making it horribly OP for dps classes in PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    some of those weapons have some pretty sicko procs (the agi polearm, healing mace, and caster staff in particular). I'm assuming the ones without specific values will be equally impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Varyk View Post
    some of those weapons have some pretty sicko procs (the agi polearm, healing mace, and caster staff in particular). I'm assuming the ones without specific values will be equally impressive.
    Well yeah but you sacrifice BOTH OF YOUR SECONDARY STATS to obtain them.

The Horrific Staff for instance: "Equip: Your spells have a chance to grant you 2580 haste rating for 10 sec and 645 haste rating to up to 3 allies within 0 yards."

^ That's a sick boost, and even gives your allies a boost, but it has NO Hit, Haste, Crit, Mastery, or Spirit. It's just Int, Stam, Spell Power, and a socket...

---------- Post added 2011-10-15 at 09:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Seregon View Post
    Now, let's discuss; should Blizzard add another weapon for us? Let the sword proc benefit us? Or simply leave us out?
    Perhaps they're trying to reimplement DW tanking? :3

Idk, I tried to be witty
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

The entire supposed problem is a nonstarter if there are only two (extremely likely) conditions -- 1) the 1h tank weapon has a dps proc (or is in fact mastery - hit/exp and shared with SMF and frost DK DW), 2) the DK weapon is mastery/dps-stat.

If both of these extremely plausible conditions are true, then there will be no need to complain whatsoever.

Deleted
    On a related note, i'd like to point out there is also NO ONE HANDED STRENGHT weapon to be had.... I really dont get why Blizzard keeps ignoring Dk's best spec?

I mean, a hunter has TWO weapons from deathwing. There's an excellent polearm and an excellent gun.

WTF is going on with Blizzard ignoring dk's..?
    Last edited by mmoc89e4f4f7a6; 2011-10-17 at 08:19 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    CHance on hit:

Increases your mastery rating by [A SHITTON].

Awesome for blood and frost, dunno about unholy.
    You know what is better than drinking a beer? Brewing your own beer. And then drinking it. And then... Drinking another beer. And then, punching somebody in the snout! That's what!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon9870 View Post
    Well yeah but you sacrifice BOTH OF YOUR SECONDARY STATS to obtain them.
    The agility polearm proc gives 5000 agility when fully stacked (atleast thats how it sounds to me), easily more valuable than the secondary stats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Herpie View Post
    On a related note, i'd like to point out there is also NO ONE HANDED STRENGHT weapon to be had.... I really dont get why Blizzard keeps ignoring Dk's best spec?

I mean, a hunter has TWO weapons from deathwing. There's an excellent polearm and an excellent gun.

WTF is going on with Blizzard ignoring dk's..?
    There is a one hander with strength.. Look again. Though the proc is a bit weird. If it works for DPS, cool. We can only wait and see.
    I'm a reverse solipsist. I know the rest of the universe is real, I just don't have any conclusive proof that I exist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruudax View Post
    The agility polearm proc gives 5000 agility when fully stacked (atleast thats how it sounds to me), easily more valuable than the secondary stats.
    I think it's safe to say that that value is in no way final. It would be OBSCENELY overpowered otherwise.

---------- Post added 2011-10-17 at 02:21 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by XenuMC View Post
    There is a one hander with strength.. Look again. Though the proc is a bit weird. If it works for DPS, cool. We can only wait and see.
    Alas, Warrior and Pali tanks will very obviously have priority on that! But my DK will lust for two of them nonetheless.

As for DK tanks... I'm thinking the axe off of Yor'sahj will be better no matter how you slice it, simply from that lovely 306 mastery.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2011-10-17 at 09:23 AM.

Deleted
    The only way I can see this proc being good in any way, shape or form is if it either:

A) It somehow benefits from mastery
    B) It scales with all of our stats.

/dahr

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Alas, Warrior and Pali tanks will very obviously have priority on that! But my DK will lust for two of them nonetheless.
    I honestly dont know. The weapon has no secondary stats. The proc it has, lifestealing for 1.5% of your max hp, is incredibly small. If you're sitting at 130k HP, the weapon proc will take NOT EVEN 2K. It's going to have to proc a hell lot to make up for having no secondary stats. I believe the maths will soon learn us it's a bad idea to wield this as a dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    As for DK tanks... I'm thinking the axe off of Yor'sahj will be better no matter how you slice it, simply from that lovely 306 mastery.
    I agree, that's likely the weapon we'll be tanking with. So we went from a mastery/exp weapon in 4.1, to a mastery/haste weapon in 4.2, to a mastery/crit weapon in 4.3. Does anyone else see this as a shitty evolution?

Quote Originally Posted by Herpie View Post
    I honestly dont know. The weapon has no secondary stats. The proc it has, lifestealing for 1.5% of your max hp, is incredibly small. If you're sitting at 130k HP, the weapon proc will take NOT EVEN 2K. It's going to have to proc a hell lot to make up for having no secondary stats. I believe the maths will soon learn us it's a bad idea to wield this as a dps.
    The 1H Sword off Deathwing has an extra 29 STR+Proc (assiming 2k damage, HP will be between 130-140k baseline)+higher damage range, so I'd put money on that being more valuable than 250ish rating, PPM will play a role though.

Just because something has a higher item level doesn't make it best in slot or "good" for you.

As far as the death wing 1 hand weapon, you bet it will be BIS for frost dw dks. Assuming you have ~168k hp in full 410 gear. Assuming what 1.5% of your max health would be. Why someone would be assuming you would be "130k hp" is rather weird.

Lack of expertise on gear in dragon soul will play a factor for orcs, but I see human frost dw dks picking this up as absolute best in slot.

You can just go ahead and dualwield the tank swords if they are not unique, and be awesome with them. You lose a small amount of stamina that way, and probably a lot of mastery, but you gain an awesome proc... Twice!
    Since threat is pretty much irrelevant, you can do that.
    Correlation does not imply causation.