Thread: Usb 3.0

Usb 3.0

Is there any cable that I could use to activate true usb 3.0 on my carbide 400r, something that could connect from the usb 3.0 in the front to the usb rear panel port in the back.

I ask this because the MoBo I will get (Asrock z68 extreme3 gen 3) doesnt have an onboard usb 3.0 header. SO I would like a solutions to make them work.

---------- Post added 2011-10-17 at 12:00 AM ----------

By ther number of view must I understand, no one know an answer to my problem :S not cool was looking forward to find something.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wont vouch for quality but this looks like a cheap solution to your problem
    http://www.amazon.com/Silverstone-Ex...826746&sr=1-24
    obviously it wont be fast enough to provide full usb3 bandwith but the majority of the devices out there wont even use close to that without being super expensive
    Last edited by lockblock; 2011-10-17 at 05:18 AM.

Yes but pcie slot is not as fast as usb 3.0, And should I just ditch them and take the asrock board ( god damn 2 pcie 3.0 on the board) or go with a 10$ more gigabyte boar with the touchbios :S I am not sure so many choice

GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 this one got a usb 3 header but 2 pcie 2.0 slot (16x,8x), with the touch bios

while the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Doesnt have usb 3 header but 2 pcie 3.0 for future proofing

AND yes I plan to get an Ivy bridge cpu and the 7xxx series to make use of those nice pcie 3.0 slot, personally the next generation of 22nm cpu are gonna be awesomely nice +gpu will also get a huge die shrinking (thus making dual gpu less costly). Think I just answered my question I will probably o with asrock board, ty for any insight (I am so pumped cant wait this week to order all my stuff)

you probably need something like this with a usb 3.0 cable. you can just run the cable through one of the water cooling grommets, and plug it into the back.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

10+ Year Old Account
    The question is will both of your devices exceed 500MB/s total and im guessing not

Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    The question is will both of your devices exceed 500MB/s total and im guessing not
    FUTURE PROOFING MAN no i just want it to work how its meant to work thats it

---------- Post added 2011-10-17 at 09:17 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dizey View Post
    you probably need something like this with a usb 3.0 cable. you can just run the cable through one of the water cooling grommets, and plug it into the back.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2
    ZOMG ty exactly what I was looking for, yes I was planning to pass it trought water cooler hose hole (I dont care my water cooler is an h80)

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lockblock View Post
    McFrotton, I would really suggest you reconsider this. I don't think I know of a single USB device that actually takes full advantage of USB 3.0 speeds, perhaps there are some out there, but USB can be easily dominated by an e-SATA. Not to mention, having more USB 3.0 ports opened up on your motherboard only means more work for your CPU, more bandwidth usage - thus limiting your expansion room, with say, the far faster, PCI/PCIe lanes.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

So what you mean Is I should just connect them into the usb 2.0 port and go with the asrock pcie 3.0 better

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McFrotton View Post
    So what you mean Is I should just connect them into the usb 2.0 port and go with the asrock pcie 3.0 better
    Yeah, I used to think USB 3 was good, but then I started asking on here and such, quickly learned very few things if anything take full usage of the transfer speeds of USB 3 anyways, it's really more just a gimmick to make more money.
    "A flower.

ZOMG AND IT APPEARS I AM ORDERING MY STUFF TONIGHT!!!!!! So pumped right now first pc self built ever ( For myself already built pc for others but not for me lol)

Yes but pcie slot is not as fast as usb 3.0, And should I just ditch them and take the asrock board ( god damn 2 pcie 3.0 on the board) or go with a 10$ more gigabyte boar with the touchbios :S I am not sure so many choice

GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 this one got a usb 3 header but 2 pcie 2.0 slot (16x,8x), with the touch bios

while the ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 Doesnt have usb 3 header but 2 pcie 3.0 for future proofing

AND yes I plan to get an Ivy bridge cpu and the 7xxx series to make use of those nice pcie 3.0 slot, personally the next generation of 22nm cpu are gonna be awesomely nice +gpu will also get a huge die shrinking (thus making dual gpu less costly). Think I just answered my question I will probably o with asrock board, ty for any insight (I am so pumped cant wait this week to order all my stuff)
    pci-e x1 slot is only slightly slower than pci-e 3.0... 4gbps vs 5gbps
    Your will completely replace your computer before you have a usb 3.0 device that exceeds 4gbps

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Yeah, I used to think USB 3 was good, but then I started asking on here and such, quickly learned very few things if anything take full usage of the transfer speeds of USB 3 anyways, it's really more just a gimmick to make more money.
    Not really a "gimmick". In time there will be plenty of usb 3.0 devices that exceed the usb 2.0 speeds. When usb 2.0 came out it was 40 times faster than usb 1.1... and there are plenty of devices that use up most of the usb 2.0 bandwidth now. It'll just take a few years before the 10x faster usb 3.0 can be put to good use.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    pci-e x1 slot is only slightly slower than pci-e 3.0... 4gbps vs 5gbps
    Your will completely replace your computer before you have a usb 3.0 device that exceeds 4gbps

Not really a "gimmick". In time there will be plenty of usb 3.0 devices that exceed the usb 2.0 speeds. When usb 2.0 came out it was 40 times faster than usb 1.1... and there are plenty of devices that use up most of the usb 2.0 bandwidth now. It'll just take a few years before the 10x faster usb 3.0 can be put to good use.
    Fair enough, I just don't think it alone is something to base a purchase on at the moment.
    "A flower.

@DeltrusDisc: So I read in another thread you posted in, that pci 3.0 is just a gimmick should I go with a cheaper board or just stick wit the asrock I chose?, because right now I am choosing what seem the less overkill while still letting me room to expand if I want to

@DeltrusDisc: So I read in another thread you posted in, that pci 3.0 is just a gimmick should I go with a cheaper board or just stick wit the asrock I chose?, because right now I am choosing what seem the less overkill while still letting me room to expand if I want to
    If the price is higher then it's better to stick with a pci-e 2.0 board... unless you plan on doing crossfire with 3.0 cards in a few years or getting a dual-gpu card (8990/790? o.O).. then the 3.0 would make a difference. Current cards don't max out 2.0 x8 slots, and none will max out x16 for quite some time... but with cf/sli or dual gpu's, you only get x8 speed, and that will probably be passed by the 8000/700 series gpu's.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns were to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One... now I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by taekvideo View Post
    If the price is higher then it's better to stick with a pci-e 2.0 board... unless you plan on doing crossfire with 3.0 cards in a few years or getting a dual-gpu card (8990/790? o.O).. then the 3.0 would make a difference. Current cards don't max out 2.0 x8 slots, and none will max out x16 for quite some time... but with cf/sli or dual gpu's, you only get x8 speed, and that will probably be passed by the 8000/700 series gpu's.
    This, and that is if you don't plan to upgrade your motherboard at all within the next several years, (3-4 at least) otherwise I'd say just stick with PCIe-2.0 because the 790/8990 are probably going to be at least the price of the 590/6990 are now, and unless you can see yourself spending that much on a video card alone even in the future, I'd say don't bother buying into PCIe-3.0.
    "A flower.

Deleted
    The Asrock is pretty great for its other characteristics as well. It's one of the cheapest Z68 boards that can handle SLI properly - and allow for acceptable overclocking. The gen3 extreme3 is pretty much the only board in that price-class with those features.

Also it looks awsome

Quote Originally Posted by Diurdi View Post
    The Asrock is pretty great for its other characteristics as well. It's one of the cheapest Z68 boards that can handle SLI properly - and allow for acceptable overclocking. The gen3 extreme3 is pretty much the only board in that price-class with those features.

Also it looks awsome
    Yep and I ordered earlier this morning, I am ordering my I5 next week or maybe late this week dont know yet, newegg.ca seems cheapest place for now.