I could use some help!

Well, im a proud Dwarf DK who has come to MMO Champs for some help. I have been lacking in dps as dw frost im decked out in normal FL gear have the right glyphs, hit and exp capped. But the one thing i mess up on is i get nervous and overwhelmed and my focus falls apart and i lose track of priority. I am wondering if anyone has any tips for staying focused and keeping on your priority list whilst under the pressures of fire. I am only pulling about 19k constant, and at most 26k burst. Here is a link to my armory in case something is wrong. http:{remove this part sicne i cant link links yet}//us.battle.net/wow/en/character/steamwheedle-cartel/Voludo/simple

One thing with spec I would suggest changing is 1 out of OaPH and 1 out of Epidemic, and toss them into Butchery, it helps smooth out your priority system.

However, on the topic of keeping focus or losing sight of your priority system, it's a very difficult thing to assess.

Few questions;

10 or 25 man?
    Are you a raid leader?
    Do you have any disease trackers?
    Do you keybind or Click? (Be honest)
    Do you play with your camera fully zoomed out? (Do you use the command /cameradistancemaxfactor 4)
    Last edited by Breyers; 2011-10-17 at 03:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Breyers View Post
    One thing with spec I would suggest changing is 1 out of OaPH and 1 out of Epidemic, and toss them into Butchery, it helps smooth out your priority system.

However, on the topic of keeping focus or losing sight of your priority system, it's a very difficult thing to assess.

Few questions;

10 or 25 man?
    Are you a raid leader?
    Do you have any disease trackers?
    Do you keybind or Click? (Be honest)
    Do you play with your camera fully zoomed out? (Do you use the command /cameradistancemaxfactor 4)
    Ok so ill start with this:
    10 man
    no
    yes, CLC DK
    Click
    Depends

Some basic general advice is practice practice practice. That will help you get used to your priority. Another thing is to set up your UI so you can see everything you need to see easily and quickly. How that's done will vary from person to person, but play around and get to it. When your information is consolidated it's easier to keep track of it all.

Finally, try keybinding. Your DPS will probably go down at first as you won't be used to it, and it will take time to get used to. However, in the long run it will help your DPS. Your mouse should be free for controlling movement, changing targets, and mouseover macros for damaging adds without swapping targets.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactrot View Post
    Some basic general advice is practice practice practice. That will help you get used to your priority. Another thing is to set up your UI so you can see everything you need to see easily and quickly. How that's done will vary from person to person, but play around and get to it. When your information is consolidated it's easier to keep track of it all.

Finally, try keybinding. Your DPS will probably go down at first as you won't be used to it, and it will take time to get used to. However, in the long run it will help your DPS. Your mouse should be free for controlling movement, changing targets, and mouseover macros for damaging adds without swapping targets.
    ...so...ive never used keybindings before in my life...any tips?

Quote Originally Posted by Voludo View Post
    ...so...ive never used keybindings before in my life...any tips?
    *Practice. A lot. Do heroics. Do PVP. Do pug raids.
    *If you play multiple characters, try to bind similar abilities to similar spots. For example, Z is my "Oh shi-!" button on most my chars. The consistency will help you hit the right thing when you panic or get flustered.
    *When you're practicing, don't be afraid to change. If you find yourself needing an ability and going to the wrong spot or often mishitting, change where it is.
    *Mouse 4+5 are your friends.
    *Try to bind keys you need to press a lot to easy to press spots, such as E or Q. Try to bind the ones you'll need to press while moving to the mouse buttons, since you can spam those while your fingers are on WASD.
    *Rebind A and D to strafe, you should have NO keyboard turning keys.
    *Try to put yourself in lots of positions, so you can know exactly what you'll want to press frequently.
    *Macros are also your friends. Ask for any macro you might need. Macro/UI forum has some very nice people with generally good response times. They're also quite willing to help you learn. Modifiers (control,shift, alt) and conditionals (harm,exists) are awesome.
    *I prefer to bind things like longer cooldowns (i.e. timewarp/heroism on those classes) to key combinations instead of hard to reach buttons. For example shift+E is a good combination, since it lets you pop that cooldown on command without having to reach across the keyboard, but it's not likely to be pressed on accident.
    *One thing I like, and there are pros and cons to it is to use multiple hot bars. By default shift+2 changes to your second hotbar shift+1 to your primary. For my hunter I used to have shift +2 as my "melee" hot bar and the regular as my primary. Not as necessary for DKs, but worth mentioning as something to be aware of.

Don't give up just because it doesn't work at first. It's quite the transition.

One thing to consider is using esdf instead of the more common wasd as your movement keys. Esdf allows you to get a few more key bindings in there, and since you're learning keybinding from scratch anyway you won't face the annoying transition that people moving from wasd to esdf face when they decide they need more keybinds. However if you played any FPSes, this may be awkward for you and I don't really think it's necessary for DKs.

Hope these are helpful. Remember they're suggestions, not rules. The number one thing with just about any playstyle is that you need to be comfortable with it to be good with it. Switching from clicking to keybinding may be frustrating and take some time, but it'll be worth it!