Page 1 of 10
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida

Considering joining the US military

Im considering joining the army or the air force but i have a few questions:

1- Am I required to be in top physical shape before joining? (I am not fat, im actually pretty skinny but in the state that i am now i would consider myself pretty weak, my body does have some potential but i havent tried working out even once.)
    2- Does Myopia disqualify me from joining either of them?
    3- If i choose active duty how likely is it that i will get sent to the middle east?
    Last edited by Vizardlorde; 2012-01-25 at 12:20 AM.

1. No. Basic gets you into "basic" shape. If you have a more physically demanding career field then that career field's school will get you into shape for it. Granted you might have to pass a pre-test for some special ops like careers. If you are too fat/skinny you might have to lose or gain a few pounds before basic depending on your height/weight. I would be wise to start doing the basics before hand though such as jogging, situps and pushups. But your recruiter would probably have you doing those anyways.

2. Doubt it. I'm guessing glasses correct it? The recruiter or MEPS doctor would be able to answer this.

3. If you join now fully expect to have a real good chance of doing a tour overseas/Afghanistan no matter which career field you choose. Now depending on the job you might never go outside "the wire" but you'd still be in Afghanistan. You might spend your entire deployment on base and never have to go out fighting/convoying. Or you could luck out and never deploy to Afghanistan but deploy to other countries in the area.

1- no. Average physical shape is fine, just try to be able to run a mile in under 9 minutes before you're shipped off
    2-Don't know
    3- Not likely, really depends on what get on your GE, for instance i got a 90th percentile grade (118) and I was given a job out here programming missiles, and my buddy who got a 40th percentile grade (like a 46 I think) and was sent over seas to test chemicals.

Just don't fail your fucking drug test.
    DO NOT. FAIL. YOUR. DRUG TEST.

After passing 3 home tests I still failed mine somehow, and am perm. banned from meps, meaning the entire military, for life.

Quote Originally Posted by Vizardlorde View Post

1- Am I required to be in top physical shape before joining? (I am not fat, im actually pretty skinny but in the state that i am now i would consider myself pretty weak, my body does have some potential but i havent tried working out even once.)
    3- If i choose active duty how likely is it that i will get sent to the middle east?
    1.No, but you will be required to pass fitness tests periodically. (I dont remember how frequent they were when I was in but I think it became more frequent since I've been out)
    2. Dont know what that is so cant answer. There are some physical conditions (i.e. asthma) that can disqualify you but a recruiter could tell you for sure.
    3. If you join the AF, active or reserves, you will most likely deploy at least once in a 4 year term. Depending on your job and base, you could go twice in that time. There are a few jobs that it's less likely in but most deploy.

1) I believe the number of push-ups to get out of the reception station that must be done are 12 or 13. If you cannot do that many push ups when you get there you go to a PT Company IE fat camp. Trust me when i tell you that you will do enough push ups in the first 2 weeks that you should have no problems passing a pt test by the end of boot camp. I believe you currently take a pt test every 2 weeks at basic/ait now but I am not certain.

2) Talk to your recruiter. There are some MOS that have vision requirements. It used to be no flight school or sniper school if you had corrective lenses.

3) The likelihood of you being deployed is based upon your MOS. If you are an infantryman or mp you will prob go before someone that is a plumber or carpenter. All of those professions are over there but you have to look at the numbers there. They have more mp's there right now than they have plumbers. It really depends upon what you chose as a job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gismo7354 View Post
    2. Doubt it. I'm guessing glasses correct it? The recruiter or MEPS doctor would be able to answer this.
    yes i wear glasses, but my friend who was planning on joining the army since 10th grade was unable to join due to his eye condition and i was that i could be turned down for the same reason
    Quote Originally Posted by sagezee View Post
    1- no. Average physical shape is fine, just try to be able to run a mile in under 9 minutes before you're shipped off
    I need to work on this one, my best time in high school was 10 mins cuz i ran out of energy halfway

After passing 3 home tests I still failed mine somehow, and am perm. banned from meps, meaning the entire military, for life.
    I dont have to worry about this because i dont drink or smoke anything

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Different branches have different physical standards. What branch are you joining?

I would say don't do it while we are on the edge of war with Iran. But that is my opinion.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I would say don't do it while we are on the edge of war with Iran. But that is my opinion.
    Well no one should consider joining the military if they think it's going to be a free ride anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can answer any questions you might have when it comes to the US Army. I was a recruiter and I've been in for 9+ years. So, feel free to ask more.
    Well, you have to at least meet the Army's height, weight and body fat standards.

They can be found in Army Regulation 600-9.

Nope, as long as it's correctable with glasses.

Probably. But all tours are being shortened to 9 months. The chances of seeing Iraq are slim. Afghanistan is a good chance. But, that's the risk you take when joining the Armed Forces.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakwazu View Post
    Different branches have different physical standards. What branch are you joining?
    I'm thinking either army or air force.
    Quote Originally Posted by nyc81991 View Post
    I apologize if I'm rude but if the possibility of war affects your decision one shouldn't even consider joining the institution dedicated to defending the country and fighting wars.

Definitely listen to Buckwald if you're looking at the Army; I'm on delayed entry for the Navy right now, so if you're looking at Navy I might be able to answer your questions more specifically or point you at where you need to go.

I'll check back later.

Edit: I see you're looking at Army or Air Force, so I'll let others more knowledgeable handle your questions. Best of luck

I'm thinking either army or air force.

I apologize if I'm rude but if the possibility of war affects your decision one shouldn't even consider joining the institution dedicated to defending the country and fighting wars.
    I agree, But joining the army is not a decision to be taken lightly. If he looks at the situation in Iran before joining and does not like the idea of it, its better he makes the decision before it is too late to turn back.

Better idea. Just don't do drugs in the first place. A little bit of weed isn't worth screwing up your career, military or otherwise. It's just dumb.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwald View Post
    I can answer any questions you might have when it comes to the US Army. I was a recruiter and I've been in for 9+ years. So, feel free to ask more.

Well, you have to at least meet the Army's height, weight and body fat standards.

They can be found in Army Regulation 600-9.
    do I need to meet the percent body fat before basic training and boot camp or after im done with boot camp? currently im not sure if i could meet the % fat standard, but my height and weight are good and if anything i can gain a few pounds of muscle and still make the weight requirements.

10+ Year Old Account
    As long as you arent over the weight you wont need to worry about body fat percentage.

2-Don't know
    3- Not likely, really depends on what get on your GE, for instance i got a 90th percentile grade (118) and I was given a job out here programming missiles, and my buddy who got a 40th percentile grade (like a 46 I think) and was sent over seas to test chemicals.

Funny, I joined the Navy (in 2004) while on probation for a drug charge.

To the OP, the first two answers you got were the ones you were looking for.

And I agree, don't fail the drug test. You need 28 days minimum for weed, and the rest are less, BUT... give it at least two months of decent half-assed healthy living, if you are at all worried about it.

Also, I'm not sure about the Army or Air Force, but when I went to join the Navy, my recruiter knew I was working to get clean and encouraged me by allowing me to take a "practice test" once a week until I tested clean. That was before I ever even went to MEPS or agreed to join. He may not have been following policy, but if he didn't I am grateful, as his compassion allowed me a bright and wonderful future.

In contrast to that recruiter, the Army recruiter heard my situation and immediately told me I was ineligible. It pays to do research, and doesn't hurt to ask questions. If you are afraid of hampering your reputation with the recruiters, don't be. Worst case scenario they can deny you, but there is more than one recruiting office for each branch. In all honesty, after I shipped to boot camp I never saw my recruiter again. I imagine many service members, current and former, will say the same.

Best of luck to you, and don't forget to put your heart into it. Give it everything you've got, and make the best of your career.
    Last edited by Azidonis; 2012-01-25 at 03:41 AM.

1. I was average weight and height and had been a nerd for my whole life. Never played sports and only ever worked out for a short time my senior year of high school (which was 4 years before I enlisted). I did fine. Excelled, even, in push ups and sit ups on my PT tests. I never was and still am not a strong runner, but I've only failed my run once and that was my first ever PT test at basic training. The physical aspect is actually mostly mental. Push yourself and don't get discouraged and you'll be fine. No need to be a stud before entering...that's part of what basic training is for in the first place.

2. I have no clue, but that reecruiter said you're good so I'd trust him. He's not working to get a commission off you over this message board, so there's really no reason for him to lie to you.

3. I can say, with almost 100% certainty, that you WILL go overseas if you join the Army. I don't know anyone I went through basic training or AIT with who has not been over for at LEAST 6 months, with most being over for a year or more. It's gonna happen. We're not leaving Afghanistan any time soon, so neither will you. Get ready for it.

This is all spoken from an Army Air Traffic Control background, but I know medics, mechanics, paper pushers, you name it. They've all been over by now. That shouldn't discourage you, though. It's part of the job and a LOT of people love it over there. They're mostly young and single with almost no family ties, though. It all depends on your home situation.

If you're going for money go with army/airforce

if you want the best possible training go marines and although you have a better shot at seeing combat..you also know you're less likely to chicken out. They break that out of you.

10+ Year Old Account

1- Ask a recruiter
    2- Ask a recruiter
    3- Very Likely... but c'mon it's the air force not like you're going to be in any danger.