Thread: Bad latency

Deleted

Bad latency

I'm not sure exactly where to post this as it covers Computers, WoW and Off-Topic, so I thought I'd put it here for now. I'll try and explain in detail my issue.

For the last two days I've been receiving a LOT of latency on WoW and I'm not exactly sure why. First of all, my situation is I live in the UK and play on a US server (yes I know, elephant in the room, but the reasons for which aren't necessary to go into, it's where I started playing WoW and if possible would like to stay on these servers after all the time I've invested in my toons! lol). I'm a University student, where the internet connection is fairly decent for my area of the country.

Now, during semesters my latency can spike for a multitude of reasons, since I live with other people bandwidth does get fairly stretched between us. But the reason why this latency I've had the past two days is strange, is because right now I'm the only one living here, with nobody else to interfere with the connection. Also, my browsing connection is perfectly fine - fast as usual.

I run wireless from my bedroom, and initially I had a similar lag problem living back home in London, switched to a direct connection from Wireless and it sorted my problems immediately. So, thinking the same, I shifted my gear downstairs and have just today plugged directly into the router, but to no avail, the lag spikes are still there. Browsing speed has picked up, but WoW is still spiking at 1000+ms, even when standing still in an empty AH.

In our raid last night, a few other people noticed a high latency issue (even those living on EST where the server is located) so I'm hoping I'm not an isolated issue. I've opened a GM ticket for assistance, but I'm sure they'll redirect me to their Tech Support articles on the Blizzard site as they did previously. Just wondering if anyone out there has been seeing high latency these past few days and/or have any advice for me?

TL;DR - High latency, fast browsing speed, Ethernet connection with nobody else using bandwidth, what do?

Check your firewall and make sure you're not throttling WoW. Your ISP may also be throttling WoW, so you may want to contact them and see if it's one of their policies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Latency and browsing speed have little to do with each other, as latency and bandwidth aren't directly related.

You could run a traceroute to your realms IP to see where things are going wrong. If the problem persists, you'll have to contact your ISP.

Deleted
    you made 2 threads mate

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by molodirazz View Post
    you made 2 threads mate
    No, it just got moved to the computer section.