Deleted

Getting back to Starcraft II, any tips?

About a year or so ago I used to play Starcraft casually. I was top 5 in my bronze league but by no means good. I play Protoss and I tried a couple of matches against bots but I just can't get in the flow of the game again. I've almost forgot everything and looking for help. Any suggestions for getting back into the game?

Weaknesses: My Micro is pretty bad and I'm generally pretty slow at the game. I'm also bad at timing pushes and expansions.
    Last edited by mmoc9eb0d33af1; 2012-04-16 at 03:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm in the same boat as you...very much looking to get back into playing sc2 as WoW isn't that fun atm, looking forward to the progression of this thread...I find i'll play like 2-3 games and then just want a break cause its so stressful haha. ( silver league )

I think focusing on macro is the most important when you are newer. Multitasking is extremely important, going as fast as you can. Also if you want to get used to the flow again then just keep playing and you'll eventually get used to it(play 1v1 quick match) you will play against people of similar level. -Diamond protoss

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by datacus View Post
    I think focusing on macro is the most important when you are newer. Multitasking is extremely important, going as fast as you can. Also if you want to get used to the flow again then just keep playing and you'll eventually get used to it(play 1v1 quick match) you will play against people of similar level. -Diamond protoss
    Hah, havn't done my placement matches for this season and don't wanna mess them up. Is it worth it to just lose them (Or I can try to win) and then just practice in bronze some more?

Also, what are some good Protoss builds for noobs? Just normal 4Gate or Dark Templars?
    Last edited by mmoc9eb0d33af1; 2012-04-16 at 03:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Platinus View Post
    Hah, havn't done my placement matches for this season and don't wanna mess them up. Is it worth it to just lose them (Or I can try to win) and then just practice in bronze some more?

Also, what are some good Protoss builds for noobs? Just normal 4Gate or Dark Templars?
    I'd just lose the placement matches tbh. Relearning the game isn't fun when you're gold league or platinum or whatever.

Also, for bronze just DT rush. Every time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Larynx View Post
    I'd just lose the placement matches tbh. Relearning the game isn't fun when you're gold league or platinum or whatever.

Also, for bronze just DT rush. Every time.
    Well, I guess...

(•_•)

( •_•)>⌐■-■

(⌐■_■)

We're going DTs.
    YEEAAAAHHHH!!

Okay. That did not fit the "meme" at all but still.

10+ Year Old Account
    platinum league for season 6

I suggest practicing speed on very hard computers. Mixed armies are almost always better then single unit types.
    Learn popular strategies used by each other faction (hellion rush, marine/medivac rush, 6 pool zerg rush, rush to muts)

even though i was in platinum league, i only fought one player that really showed he belonged there. he sent obs to each corner and completely saw through my overlord drop strategy.

main thing is to practice though

The only way to get better is to keep practicing. Keep hitting that find game button

Don't fear the ladder. Just play it. You should use standard strategy that will lead you to long macro game because at this level you need to improve your macro or your mechanic overall. Don't care much about micro. If you just have more stuff than him you will win. Macro is the most basic thing in Starcraft but it's also the hardest thing to master in this game. You shoudn't cheese too much because you won't learn much from it. If you learn to defend all of cheese then play macro game then you will be able to cheese effectively too.

Deleted

Have fun.

Well, the good news is that they took out W/L ratios for anyone under Master's I believe so even if you lose 15 matches in a row it should make you feel better about yourself. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, been thinking about getting back into it, and though I think I was decent at one point, being placed in lower Platinum (which would presently be gold) and being able to somewhat maintain it, I would probably get my ass kicked by just about anyone now.

Anyways, what I do know in regards to the more important thing to get yourself accustomed to would be macro, learning your builds, counters, properly expanding and scouting, etc. Micro is something most people learn when they are more comfortable with the basics, and if there is anyone that can micro like a pro in the lower brackets that you would really really need to concern yourself with micro to beat them, that person doesn't belong in that ladder anyways.

You could watch videos, but, personally, I learn best by doing it myself, it's all muscle memory for me. The best thing you could do is research a few builds, maybe watch a few videos paying attention from their opening to when they expand, and then just go out and practice. You won't get better until you practice a lot.