Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Orlong View Post
    I make plenty of mistakes but not when it comes to driving a 3000 pound machine that can kill people. They are called accidents because its a PC way of saying someone screwed up and didnt pay attention to the road. Its the same reason when accidents are reported nowadays the report says John's car crossed 3 lanes of traffic and over the median hitting a car driven by Mortimer, when instead it should say John was brushing his hair when he lost control of the car causing him to drive it across 3 lanes of traffic and into the path of Mortimer. But instead they want it to sound like the car did it all by itself independent of what John was doing.

From a study I found online which while may not be 100% accurate since it was found online, it most likely is at least close. The top 6 reasons for an accident are Rubbernecking, Alcohol, Fatigue, Speeding, eating, and use of mobile devices. NONE of these are what I would consider an accident. They are ALL acts of irresponsibility and shouldn't be tolerated, but penalized harshly.
    So what happens if someone slams on their breaks and the person behind them hits them because they didn't react quick enough? Even if they weren't doing anything you listed and were paying attention to the road?

You know there are things beyond some peoples control. Even weather like ice, sun glare, and fog.
    Last edited by Suporex; 2012-04-25 at 06:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Submerge View Post
    So what happens if someone slams on their breaks and the person behind them hits them because they didn't react quick enough? Even if they weren't doing anything you listed and were paying attention to the road?

Your argument could work if you live in North Dakota but in any state with heavy traffic. Accidents are bound to happen.
    You were following to close and were not paying attention to the road. Yes, it's that cut and dry.

It boils down to
    1) Being very aware of your surroundings.
    2) Adjusting YOUR driving to suit the conditions.

Now, if the person cut in front of you, then slammed on their brakes, that would be the other person at fault. THEIR inattentive or reckless driving caused the accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Reeve View Post
    If people were robots, that might be true, but the fact of the matter is that people make mistakes. Even when I'm trying very hard to concentrate on something, I lose concentration sometimes. Now compound that for people who have had a bad day at work, or who have just found out their spouse is cheating on them.

People, even when given very strong incentives, cannot give perfect concentration. Shit happens, as they say, and punishing them is unnecessary, since they're already hurting a lot from the collision (emotionally, physically, financially).
    If you can not hold concentration while operating a 2+ ton piece of machinery, then frankly, you should not be driving. Drive down any road, highway or expressway and take a good look around you. Then look again. People are unbelievably distracted, and careless while driving, and I'm only surprised that we don't have a higher rate of traffic fatality's. Holding people accountable for their actions, and punishing them is perfectly fair. IMHO our traffic laws are a joke, and don't reflect the seriousness of driving.

Funny story. A few years ago I was driving along on the 401 in Toronto and passed a civic that I'm guessing the kid just cut the coil springs to lower the car. It was unbelievable dangerous as the car was bouncing all over and throwing sparks out from the undercarriage. Had he caused a collision from losing control of his car, I would expect him to be charged with something serious. Sadly, that's not the way it works because hey! "it was only an accident".

Traffic collisions, not accidents.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrianth View Post
    Hardly. Accidents don't just happen. Something, or someone, has to unintentionally cause them.

I loled

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarlathe View Post
    If you can not hold concentration while operating a 2+ ton piece of machinery, then frankly, you should not be driving. Drive down any road, highway or expressway and take a good look around you. Then look again. People are unbelievably distracted, and careless while driving, and I'm only surprised that we don't have a higher rate of traffic fatality's. Holding people accountable for their actions, and punishing them is perfectly fair. IMHO our traffic laws are a joke, and don't reflect the seriousness of driving.
    I'm sorry, but no. Human beings simply don't have the ability to concentrate perfectly 100% of the time. Lots of things can affect ability to concentrate, from stress to emotional distress to a headache. You can't suggest that someone who drove 20 miles to work and got laid off shouldn't drive home because their concentration might be compromised due to emotional stress. Should they walk home that 20 miles?

We ask people to do the best they can. We prod them towards concentrating. There's already plenty of incentive to concentrate, given the potential dangers to life and limb, and the financial and emotional implications of messing up. You suggest they should pay each person inconvenienced $500 though? If I get into a car wreck, then I would have to pay somewhere on the order of $2 million on my local freeway, plus lose my license for a year? Isn't it bad enough that my car is ruined and I may be injured, and will have to pay out the nose for insurance for the next 7 years?
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

I'm sorry, but no. Human beings simply don't have the ability to concentrate perfectly 100% of the time. Lots of things can affect ability to concentrate, from stress to emotional distress to a headache. You can't suggest that someone who drove 20 miles to work and got laid off shouldn't drive home because their concentration might be compromised due to emotional stress. Should they walk home that 20 miles?
    No, but they had better damn well understand the risk that they are taking and be willing to accept the consequences of their choice. Don't just shrug it off to an "accident". They chose to drive when they knew they were not operating at 100%.

We ask people to do the best they can. We prod them towards concentrating. There's already plenty of incentive to concentrate, given the potential dangers to life and limb, and the financial and emotional implications of messing up. You suggest they should pay each person inconvenienced $500 though? If I get into a car wreck, then I would have to pay somewhere on the order of $2 million on my local freeway, plus lose my license for a year? Isn't it bad enough that my car is ruined and I may be injured, and will have to pay out the nose for insurance for the next 7 years?
    I don't agree with the OP on paying off everyone inconveniences by an accident. I do agree that if you are at fault, then the charges need to be more serious and the fines to be larger. Losing your license? Maybe. Maybe that would encourage people to wake the fuck up while driving and pay attention.

There is a show on up here called Canada's worst driver. I find it unbelievable that the people featured on that show are allowed to drive at all. A couple of years ago they had one woman that had 24, yes, 24 fucking accidents in one year. I'm shocked that she can still get insurance and even more so that she can pay the premiums. Even funnier is when you went to the shows forums, those people sounded just like you with excuse after excuse as to why their driving was so bad. Not so surprising, it was never, ever their fault.