Is there any perk to not having a follower?

Does having a follower in Diablo III (i.e. the templar) cause any increase to difficulty or a lower drop chance for loot? The templar said something about him snagging some books for himself if we came across any in our journey, does anyone know if these books have any significance to your character or if he just said that for the sake of lore? This question may seem dumb but I have yet to hear any info regarding the answers to these questions. I appreciate any feedback!

Quote Originally Posted by Noct View Post
    Does having a follower in Diablo III (i.e. the templar) cause any increase to difficulty or a lower drop chance for loot? The templar said something about him snagging some books for himself if we came across any in our journey, does anyone know if these books have any significance to your character or if he just said that for the sake of lore? This question may seem dumb but I have yet to hear any info regarding the answers to these questions. I appreciate any feedback!
    They are followers not mercenaries. Story wise they have to follow you for a reason. The books are also of no difference because you cant pick them up otherwise.

Thank you very much! ^.^

Didnt they say your followers would be dead most of the time from nightmare onwards anyway? they didnt want people using the followers past the first difficulty level/story run through.

I wonder how much they will scales, in d2x when the super runeword came out, a richman merc was 5x stronger than the poorman character=/

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Didnt they say your followers would be dead most of the time from nightmare onwards anyway? they didnt want people using the followers past the first difficulty level/story run through.
    They did before they decided to listen to the fans and make them viable for inferno.

Also to answer the OPS question. You only have to have the follower for whatever quests they appear. You don't need to progress with one. They were working on offering a buff of sorts for those who didn't use one, since they would be missing out on a buff .

Quote Originally Posted by Puissance View Post
    I wonder how much they will scales, in d2x when the super runeword came out, a richman merc was 5x stronger than the poorman character=/
    They won't scale anything like that. They want them to be useful, not a main source of damage. (Or so they stated)

Quote Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
    You only have to have the follower for whatever quests they appear.
    Son, never go full retard