High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

Need mini itx build advice

You guys helped me build a nice Intel i5 2500k system already loving it but I'm in need of something portable that I can carry to Lan Party's etc. Thinking Mini itx I do have a concern though I noticed all Mini itx boards have both onboard video & audio, I already own a Creative Labs ZX PCIE Audio Card & a 560ti PCIE video card, would you trust both onboard video / onboard audio on mini itx? If mini itx is the way to go I'll be building the system around the bit fenix prodigy if that's a great choice.

Budget: $500

Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Games / Settings Desired: World Of Warcraft High to Ultra & Diablo 3 High to Ultra mainly but I'll be gaming a little more in the future.

Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) Nope

Parts that can be reused: 2 SSD's, HDD's, Creative Labs ZX Audio Card, EVGA 560ti video card believe its a 10.5", already have a spare HX850 from Corsair PSU but I can replace the PSU if need be.

Do you need an OS? Nope Have Windows 8 64bit Pro

Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? Nope own them all that I need & will use

15+ Year Old Account
    With Mini-ITX, you need to keep one thing in mind: there is only one expansion slot, and that is the one for the graphics card. You won't be physically able to use your soundcard. But that is not so bad, because onboard sound has come a long way and actually quite decent today.

The graphics card you have, should be ok for now. No need to buy a new one. Also space should be not a big problem with a somewhat decent case.

While your psu is a good one, the problem with most mini itx cases is the limited space for the psu. And because the HX850 is longer than a standard psu, it will most likely not fit.

With all the parts you can reuse, your budget needs to cover: CPU, RAM, Motherboard, Case, (optical Drive, PSU)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock B85M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($85.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($50.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $472.93
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-25 14:13 EDT-0400)

This is one option. The case has no place for an optical drive (just to point that out).
    Why do something simple, when there is a complicated way?
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

Dude, don't stick a fermi based videocard into a Node 304, that is like begging for overheating. For the hardware you got, I'd recommend getting a Bitfenix Prodigy instead as the airflow and cooling is alot better, especially for that videocard of yours. The Node will feel like an oven after 3-4 hours of use.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    With Mini-ITX, you need to keep one thing in mind: there is only one expansion slot, and that is the one for the graphics card. You won't be physically able to use your soundcard. But that is not so bad, because onboard sound has come a long way and actually quite decent today.

The graphics card you have, should be ok for now. No need to buy a new one. Also space should be not a big problem with a somewhat decent case.

While your psu is a good one, the problem with most mini itx cases is the limited space for the psu. And because the HX850 is longer than a standard psu, it will most likely not fit.

With all the parts you can reuse, your budget needs to cover: CPU, RAM, Motherboard, Case, (optical Drive, PSU)

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: ASRock B85M-ITX Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard ($85.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($50.99 @ Newegg)
    Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case ($59.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 450W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($59.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $472.93
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-25 14:13 EDT-0400)

This is one option. The case has no place for an optical drive (just to point that out).
    I already got a Bluray burner internal so I want to use that. With that in mind I'll go with the Bitfenix Prodigy

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemmiwink View Post
    Dude, don't stick a fermi based videocard into a Node 304, that is like begging for overheating. For the hardware you got, I'd recommend getting a Bitfenix Prodigy instead as the airflow and cooling is alot better, especially for that videocard of yours. The Node will feel like an oven after 3-4 hours of use.
    The Node 304 has a very good cooling, nothing wrong with that. With the (stock) fans on high, it comes close to the Prodigy for the CPU, and even better for the GPU.

The problem i have with the Prodigy is it's size. This is not what i see as a small case. It's bigger than some µATX cases. (and also it's ugly).

Another good case would be the Silverstone SG08, but this is kinda expensive... $200 (including a 600W 80+ bronze psu)
    Ryzen 7 2700X | BeQuiet Dark Rock Pro 4 | 16GB DDR4-3200 | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X 8G | 500GB / 750GB Crucial SSD
    Fractal Define C | LG 32UK550 | Das Model S Professional Silent | CM Storm Xornet

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Biernot, if I went with a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139027 I know its $60 but locally here that same one is $30 for a CX500 Watt from Corsair have used everything from this company no issues, they also have the BitFenix Prodigy Red Color is $60, I've seen it in person and love the look of it, they also had the Node 304 next to the Prodigy that looks worse off and not much room for HDDs as I'll be using x5 HDD's.
    Last edited by Gamer2k1; 2013-07-26 at 06:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why are you jamming so many drives into a mini itx case, with a gpu the node will comfortably sit 4. However I have no idea what one possibly needs 5 mechanical drives in a mini itx build for.
    Personal rig:
    • i5-3570k (4.2ghz) || CM hyper 212 evo || Asrock extreme 4 || Corsair (2 x 4gb 1600mhz) ram
    • Samsung 840 (120gb) || WD blue 1tb || WD green 1tb
    • Powercolor 7870xt || Silverstone strider 500w ||NZXT source 210

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamer2k1 View Post
    Biernot, if I went with a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139027 I know its $60 but locally here that same one is $30 for a CX500 Watt from Corsair have used everything from this company no issues, they also have the BitFenix Prodigy Red Color is $60, I've seen it in person and love the look of it, they also had the Node 304 next to the Prodigy that looks worse off and not much room for HDDs as I'll be using x5 HDD's.
    The CX500 is fine too.

Regarding the case: That's your's to decide. I can't dictate your taste. The Prodigy IS a good case and if you like the design and don't mind that it's so big, go for it.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Biernot View Post
    The CX500 is fine too.

Regarding the case: That's your's to decide. I can't dictate your taste. The Prodigy IS a good case and if you like the design and don't mind that it's so big, go for it.
    Thanks for the response on both. I don't mind that its big but it does have handles so I can carry it.
    Last edited by Gamer2k1; 2013-07-27 at 04:15 PM.