Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    The problem with Euthanasia is the need to ensure that the decision is that the patient is in sound mind and very capable of understanding the consequences of the decision.
    That is why some do not support it, and why when it is supported it should be done in a controlled environment.
    All 3 states that have legislated Euthanasia into law (a 4th state, Montana, has legal euthanasia via court ruling) have this baked into the law. The patient being capable of making and communicating healthcare decisions for themselves is an eligibility requirement, among others.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Riddler View Post
    The only thing everyone can agree on is that bacon is awesome.

The morality of whether it is merciful or not is irrelevant to the law.
    I agree Bacon, however their are bacon haters.

As for the article, she should go to prison, she is not a doctor or a medical professional. Who's to say that they can't find a cure. Sorry US law makes that a case of Murder, and I agree assisted suicide is murder.

First,

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal..._orders/556979

I'm assuming that the patient wanted a DNR order but did not have the appropriate bracelet or necklace to identify the paramedics or police of such order.

Second:

The daughter, which is also a nurse, gave over the prescribed dosage of a medication to a patient, regardless if it was their own father. It is the responsibility of every nurse and physician to "do no harm." She intentionally overdosed a patient. Even if the patient wanted to be overdosed, she should never have given him the medication.

The police officer performed the correct action at the time. The nurse that was taking care of him took the correct action. If the daughter was not a nurse, I could understand her actions, but she should have known better. She'll probably loose her license and will most likely never work as a nurse again. I'd suspect that she'd face jail time if the patient wasn't related to her.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    wait OP... you thought euthanasia of all things held a universal view?!? really?
    It was more tongue-in-cheek really.

10+ Year Old Account
    Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way, Orion Arm, Solar System, Earth, European Union, Croatia
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    As for the article, she should go to prison, she is not a doctor or a medical professional. Who's to say that they can't find a cure. Sorry US law makes that a case of Murder, and I agree assisted suicide is murder.
    It's not murder and US law (in some states) is as wrong about this as it is when it comes to terminating a pregnancy (unless it's past the second trimester) without the mother's consent. In order for a killing to be classified as murder, there needs to be an intent to harm. Assisted suicide or euthanasia has both the opposite intent and effect. To prevent harm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nutella is awesome
    "One touch of nature makes the whole world kin." - William Shakespeare

~ Sig and Avatar by Shyama <3 ~

Deleted
    I'm not saying I don't like bacon, but damn if Nutella and bacon aren't the most overrated foods ever. I thought it was just people joking around until a certain point. You might as well eat bacon with Nutella.

Quote Originally Posted by Neetz View Post
    Nutella is awesome
    Nope, gives me acne breakouts like few other foods are capable of

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikiy View Post
    It's not murder and US law (in some states) is as wrong about this as it is when it comes to terminating a pregnancy (unless it's past the second trimester) without the mother's consent. In order for a killing to be classified as murder, there needs to be an intent to harm. Assisted suicide or euthanasia has both the opposite intent and effect. To prevent harm.
    the way she did it, it is considered second degree murder everywhere in the US, some states let patients over dose on pain killers, but the drugs must be approved by a medical professional, and people have to sign off on it, and the insurance company must approve it. it's not something that a family member can walk in grab drugs and hand it to them, there is a procedure that must be followed to insure it is the right thing and not murder. None of that was done.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    the way she did it, it is considered second degree murder everywhere in the US, some states let patients over dose on pain killers, but the drugs must be approved by a medical professional, and people have to sign off on it, and the insurance company must approve it. it's not something that a family member can walk in grab drugs and hand it to them, there is a procedure that must be followed to insure it is the right thing and not murder. None of that was done.
    Wow you got all that from "she handed him his medication"?

Quote Originally Posted by frequency View Post
    It was more tongue-in-cheek really.
    i would hope so. i no longer have that much faith in the internet, lol
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by OzoAndIndi View Post
    Who even brought these charges? The nurse? Ridiculous. I hate how we wouldn't want an animal to suffer so we'd put it down, but a human... well, we prefer to drag it out as long as possible with them.
    A nurse can't bring criminal charges. A police officer can't bring criminal charges. Only the State (executive branch...or occasionally legislatures) can bring criminal charges.