Deleted

High Court overturned legislation on gay marriage in the Australian Capital Territory

The ACT parliament passed a bill in October making the territory the first part of Australia to legalise same-sex weddings.

But the national government challenged the decision, saying it was inconsistent with federal laws.

Some 27 couples who married since the law came into effect last weekend will now have their unions declared invalid.

The court said the issue should be decided by parliament - which in September 2012 voted down gay marriage legislation.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-25344219

- - - Updated - - -

I can imagine a number of extremely pissed off couples now their marriage has been made void

Deleted
    If it's inconsistent with federal laws then it was the right thing to do.

Back to the drawing board.

Post 7 is my bet.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    The federal law is specified in 2004 that marriage was between a man and a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    If it's inconsistent with federal laws then it was the right thing to do.

Back to the drawing board.
    If legal same-sex marriage is in contravention of federal laws, THEN THOSE LAWS ARE WRONG. End of discussion.
    Cheerful lack of self-preservation

10+ Year Old Account
    Sucks for those that had their marriage invalidated. Especially if they had legal benefits and such.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

The Unstoppable Force Orange Joe's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dezerte View Post
    Post 7 is my bet.
    Am I post 7?
    MMO-Champ the place where calling out trolls get you into more trouble than trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by Baar View Post
    Am I post 7?
    You ruined it now.
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

Deleted
    Wow, despite their reputation for being a friendly people Australia sure is pretty racist and bigoted. Also backwards.

Australia has been bigoted and backwards in their laws for a while.. I honestly am not surprised at this. I am however saddened

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiawase View Post
    Wow, despite their reputation for being a friendly people Australia sure is pretty racist and bigoted. Also backwards.
    quoted because.. says pretty much the same thing I said and said while I was typing.. JINX!

Please don't lump the Australian people in with our politicians. A large and growing percentage of the population supports gay marriage. The problem is the current Prime Minister wouldn't allow his party members a conscience vote on the matter when it was brought up by the previous government. If he had its very possible that gay marriage would now be legal throughout the country. What makes it worse is his own sister is a lesbian and wants to get married to her partner, so you can't say its an issue he knows nothing about.