Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    Not really, the problem is that kids growing up are being told what they are allowed to enjoy. Blue / Pink are pretty commonly accepted symbols for male/female when it comes to children. As the lady from Let Toys be Toys says: "“It’s baffling really to suggest pink eggs containing dolls and blue eggs containing cars don’t do anything to promote gender stereotypes because they obviously do"

It alienates girls who like cars and boys who like fashion, and teaches them that if you are a boy who likes fashion or dolls or whatever, then that makes you a girl. It's not really okay.

And yes, I'm aware that there is nothing inherently male or female about blue and pink. Yes I am aware that centuries ago we dressed boys in pink because it was considered a masculine colour. That doesn't change the fact that in our current society, the symbolism is pink = female, blue = male. Whether or not that's okay is a different debate entirely.

In the end if they didn't want to make the toys gendered they could have used any other colours in existance. Green and yellow. Hell, even if they went with blue and green or something, the fact that it isn't blue/pink means it's not really gendering the toys. But they didn't. They used blue and pink. Specifically.
    What do you think of Happy Meals at McDonald's and other fast food restaurants? How they generally offer a "boy toy" and a "girl toy?"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Erin View Post
    It's not sexism : ( Boys are being shit on equally. It's just still shitting on people.
    So sexism can only be against girls?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by senkyen View Post
    I think it was the thrill of the surprise. There was always this new set of figurines to collect and as a little kid you were excited to find out if you will get one you still didn't have. My favorite were the turtles:

For me they represent a nice childhood memory as my grandmother used to buy me one each time I would visit her. To this day, even if I'm in my mid 20s, we maintain this "tradition" as she buys me a Kinder egg for Easter every year.
    Oh wow. The memories! I had those turtles! The cracked egg one was hardest to find but they were all mine!
    I also remember the smurfs, but those turtles definitly stood out more.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nakura Chambers View Post
    What do you think of Happy Meals at McDonald's and other fast food restaurants? How they generally offer a "boy toy" and a "girl toy?"

- - - Updated - - -

So sexism can only be against girls?

Don't want to get back onto derailing this but just to quickly answer so we can move on:

I don't like that either, but I don't eat at McDonald's anyway because I'm vegetarian and going to McD's for a salad is like getting a hooker for a cuddle, so I don't have to not buy happy meals because of it as I don't already.

And that's not what I meant. I meant it's not sexist in a "We're going to let boys do whatever they want but girls have to stay in the kitchen" (or vice versa) kind of way. It's equally limiting to both boys and girls to restrain their interests to really narrow fields so it's not so much an issue of sexism as it is an issue of perpetuating unhelpful gender stereotypes.

all i have to say is that this bitching about toys being pink or blue is sheer insanity, Its something adults only care about, Look its a kids toy, and when lets say your average kid is a boy, most of them are going to be interesting more in lets say a blue car, than a pink one, And vice versa, Its called marketing, your not going to make somthing if there isnt a big enough group to warrent it, The problem here is you, There is no rule that says girls cant like cars, or boys like pink things, its just not common, ITS A RULE you made up. Its people like you that make me think twice about supporting gender/gay/whatever equality (which i do support btw), because all you do is complain about the most illrelevent things with a victuim anti me complex.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by noobforhire View Post
    all i have to say is that this bitching about toys being pink or blue is sheer insanity, Its something adults only care about, Look its a kids toy, and when lets say your average kid is a boy, most of them are going to be interesting more in lets say a blue car, than a pink one, And vice versa, Its called marketing, your not going to make somthing if there isnt a big enough group to warrent it, The problem here is you, There is no rule that says girls cant like cars, or boys like pink things, its just not common, ITS A RULE you made up. Its people like you that make me think twice about supporting gender/gay/whatever equality (which i do support btw), because all you do is complain about the most illrelevent things with a victuim anti me complex.
    We've moved past this. It's not what the thread was about. We got derailed for a while, but got back on track until this page.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

oh ok, thanks sorry bout that, :/

10+ Year Old Account
    Forget countries fighting and throwing their weight around over stupid stuff, this is the kind of stuff people need to fight over, just seize mass quantities of kinder eggs. But to be fair then the country they are stolen from also steals quantities of something of equal value from us that they don't have.

Are Americans able to buy them online or is that illegal too? Or are people here only getting them from ones that are mailed from someone in another country or brought back.

Looked up YouTube videos of people opening these things... They sell BIG ones too?? Want. Also looked up people opening Cracker Jacks...amusingly anticlimactic. One guy was lucky enough to actually get a sticker, and sadly no sarcasm involved.
    Last edited by OzoAndIndi; 2014-05-08 at 09:45 PM.