Deleted

mSATA SSD laptop question

Hello folks,

I have a >2 year old notebook, lenovo thinkpad s430, which has some small (4 or 8gb) mSATA SSD drive for intel smart response.

My question is, can I just exchange that for a larger one, disable smart response and have a kickass SSD setup?
    If so, what would be recommended manufacturers for 256gb mSATA SSD drives ?

Lenovo laptops have a locked down bios...meaning, you can only add hardware that they allow otherwise the laptop won't boot. You'd need to check with them on whether or not the ssd you want to add is white listed

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Erous View Post
    Lenovo laptops have a locked down bios...meaning, you can only add hardware that they allow otherwise the laptop won't boot. You'd need to check with them on whether or not the ssd you want to add is white listed
    thanks for the reply.
    How would I find out such a white list? lenovo forums said nothing about it, just some user posts that it should work...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tearor View Post
    If so, what would be recommended manufacturers for 256gb mSATA SSD drives ?
    Both Crucial and Samsung are good manufacturers. Crucials are slightly slower, but are also usually significantly less expensive than comparable Samsungs.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tearor View Post
    thanks for the reply.
    How would I find out such a white list? lenovo forums said nothing about it, just some user posts that it should work...
    I have no idea what he means by white list actually. There aren't any.
    It doesn't check what type of hardware it has when you boot up _____. It checks whether your drive has the proper software/OS else the BIOS boots you.
    I have a Lenovo X230 and replaced the HDD with a 256GB 840. I had to software clone the HDD to the SSD and it worked perfectly. It won't let you do a fresh install like I wanted to but oh well.
    I also added (replaced?) my memory so I have 2x4GB Dual Channel.
    I really want to put a mSATA into the port that's in there but I'm afraid to take it apart.

What I mean is, I had a Lenovo laptop, and swapped out the poor wireless NIC with a different one and when booting, the bios would stop with an error that the device manufacturer of the hardware that was installed was not supported and had to be removed. After researching said error it was determined that the lenovo bios only allows certain manufacturers.

A quick google search for 'lenovo whitelist' yields the very first search result here: https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General...ON/td-p/952681

Granted, the post is specific to network cards and may not have the same effect with ssds but I haven't researched that further.

Deleted
    check here for the bypass method of that BIOS whitelist http: //art.ified.ca/?page_id=218

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by fyredeamon View Post
    check here for the bypass method of that BIOS whitelist http: //art.ified.ca/?page_id=218
    TY, but if I get it right, your link deals with the wlan slot, whereas the mSATA is another one (WWAN).