Poll: Will it Succeed?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Do you think Everquest Next will succeed?

It's the last MMO we get currently.

Every single MMO put before us has been completely decimated. Swtor, arguably the most expensive MMO ever made failed horribly, now its just some cheap trash, with each expansion getting lazier and lazier. In rise of the hutt cartel, there were atleast different stories from faction to faction. Now in Shadow of revan everyone gets the same story. TorHead even got shut down because most people considered Swtor a joke by now, and no one updated it so.

Wildstar got destoryed because it was too hardcore, and casuals are the bread and butter of all MMOS.
    ESO didn't exactly fail, it going buy to play was planned ( I think .) Skyrim fans bash the game, but they will bash and hate anything so.
    Archeage failed horribly because it was full of hackers and gold sellers, innocent people were banned etc. Wonder how a F2P game died.

Then we have the minor MMOS such as Tera, Final fantasy, Eve online, etc. While Eve has managed to keep their subscription, it isnt exactly the most popular MMO on the market.

And then we have Everquest next, the last MMO, that stands. If this fails, WoW will remain supreme over all others. Why is it that all other MMOS have failed? As far as I know, guild wars 2 is the only MMO that has been successful that isnt WoW.

I don't know, WoW's success/dominance seems pretty simple in my mind. There's just a lot of people that play or have played the game. So in the population of the people that enjoy playing MMO's, a large portion of them play WoW. If another MMO was going to dethrone it, it would need to be able to pull those people away from WoW. There seems to me to be an objects at rest tend to stay at rest situation, where if you have played WoW for even just a year, you are likely tied into the game by friends, time committed, or some miscellaneous reasons. So for another MMO to come out and have the success of WoW, that game would have to be able to effectively pull players from WoW and retain them. I just don't know what a game would have to do to get that.

To early to tell, especially seeing as SOE was sold to an investor group with no experience in gaming whatsoever.

Dethrone WoW? I don't know.
    Blizzard is doing a pretty fine job at dethroning thmeselves, I doubt it will happen because of another game though.

If it ever f'ing comes out.

The combat system seems pretty terribad if it's anything like landmarks though :/ that's gonna kill it
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm hoping moderate success just because it's always nice to have more choices on the market and it seemed like it had some good ideas going on. Not my particular cup of tea after having tried out an EQ Classic server, but good ideas regardless.
    Be seeing you guys on Bloodsail Buccaneers NA!

If the devs actually pull through with they're trying to achieve, yes.

With the lead designers behind the project having been given the boot by Daybreak's new masters, I'll say no.

I have more faith in the Korean MMOs..Blade and Soul & Black Desert.

If anything, the recent acquisition by Daybreak has only solidified the downfall of the promising mmo by letting go some of the main people working on it. As each month passes, they've dug the grave deeper by not releasing any information on the current status of the progression of the game. Therefore, people are gonna assume the worst that Daybreak is snuffing out the game's life force bit by bit.

I had high hopes for it since I cut my MMO teeth on the original EQ but I don't see the game taking off at this point.

Currently playing Borderlands 1 remaster. Amped for Borderlands 3.
    Add me on the PSN for jolly-cooperation @ PuppetShoJustice

I have my doubts the game will see the light of day.

i would have said yes until daybreak got rid of some of the more passionate devs they had working on the game.

everquest has enough of a nostalgic ex player base that combined with the people who still play the original i expect it will do ok initially, then tank.

I started playing MMOs with EQ back in the day. WoW won me over, then EQ2 was announced and released. I was very excited at first to go back to the MMO I first started on, as a Ratonga (so cute!), but SoE kept the same leveling / exp / grind BS in the 2nd EQ. This immediately killed it for me. I REALLY REALLY hope they don't screw up the next installment, however, after reading reviews on the combat system / exp system, my hopes are quickly dwindling.

Plus... when is it coming out? >.<

10+ Year Old Account
    For bashing swtor so hard you sure know quite a bit about it. And really as long as you enjoy a game regardless if 6 mill+ asshats do as well doesn't really matter. Its about your own enjoyment and pleasure from the game. Social aspects are important for many but I can log onto swtor, lotro, rift and still find rpers, or groups doing content together. Maybe financially the game wasn't making companies billionaires but that doesn't mean on a personal level you can't get some enjoyment from the story or the adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Troll64 View Post
    Wildstar got destoryed because it was too hardcore, and casuals are the bread and butter of all MMOS.
    ESO didn't exactly fail, it going buy to play was planned ( I think .) Skyrim fans bash the game, but they will bash and hate anything so.
    Archeage failed horribly because it was full of hackers and gold sellers, innocent people were banned etc. Wonder how a F2P game died.

Then we have the minor MMOS such as Tera, Final fantasy, Eve online, etc. While Eve has managed to keep their subscription, it isnt exactly the most popular MMO on the market.
    ESO has less players than Wildstar and Final Fantasy. Not sure how that's not considered a failure if Wildstar is "destroyed" and Final Fantasy is considered "minor". Even Tera has more players. Not to mention that the Final Fantasy XIV subscriber count has been rising and is expected to reach 3M before their next expansion comes out.

Did the OP just call FF14 a minor MMO?

OT: I really hope it succeeds. I miss Norrath.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Troll64 View Post
    It's the last MMO we get currently.

Every single MMO put before us has been completely decimated. Swtor, arguably the most expensive MMO ever made failed horribly, now its just some cheap trash, with each expansion getting lazier and lazier. In rise of the hutt cartel, there were atleast different stories from faction to faction. Now in Shadow of revan everyone gets the same story. TorHead even got shut down because most people considered Swtor a joke by now, and no one updated it so.

And then we have Everquest next, the last MMO, that stands. If this fails, WoW will remain supreme over all others. Why is it that all other MMOS have failed? As far as I know, guild wars 2 is the only MMO that has been successful that isnt WoW.
    Nope. It's fallen into obscurity already. No news about it, no-one talks about it, not enough people care to want it anymore. It's lost the race before it even entered the race.

Quote Originally Posted by Rathoric View Post
    If anything, the recent acquisition by Daybreak has only solidified the downfall of the promising mmo by letting go some of the main people working on it. As each month passes, they've dug the grave deeper by not releasing any information on the current status of the progression of the game. Therefore, people are gonna assume the worst that Daybreak is snuffing out the game's life force bit by bit.
    This was my take on EQ Next, as well.

Also, FFXIV struck me as quite lively when I gave the trial a shot recently. It sounded like they got off to a rocky start but have managed to get on top of issues the game had early on and have been taking large strides ahead.
    "Bananas, like people, sometimes look different when they are naked." Grace Helbig

its almost guaranteed the project is gonna get canned. sorry guys.