Deleted

Inmate to be freed after 43 years in solitary confinement [US]

A judge in the US state of Louisiana has ordered the release of an inmate who has been in solitary confinement for more than 40 years.

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-33059012

Judge James Brady also banned prosecutors from trying Albert Woodfox, 68, for a third time.

He has been in solitary confinement since 18 April 1972 after a prison riot that resulted in the death of a guard.

Woodfox was tried twice for the guard's death, but both convictions were later overturned. He denies all the charges.
    On Monday, Judge Brady ordered the unconditional release of Woodfox and barred a third trial, saying it could not be fair.
    King, who spent 29 years in solitary confinement, described his experience to the BBC in an interview three years ago.
    He said he remained strong but it was "scary" to see how others crumpled through lack of human contact.

15+ Year Old Account
    How is so much solitary confinement legal?! Keep seeing cases where people spend almost half of their sentence in solitary - there's got to be a human rights issue with using downright mental torture for years at a time on prisoners.

Quote Originally Posted by Revi View Post
    How is so much solitary confinement legal?! Keep seeing cases where people spend almost half of their sentence in solitary - there's got to be a human rights issue with using downright mental torture for years at a time on prisoners.
    You're suprised we treat criminals like garbage? It's kind of our thing.

Deleted
    John oliver has taught me that you guys got some scary and rather archaic legsl system, all the while not realising its not having the desired effect (which i wssume is less crime, although at times it looks as if the goal is to make the companies that run the prisons very rich)

I wont bring gun control into dis but the violent (gun infused) culture is a big reason you have one of the highest numbers of adults incarcerated.

Quote Originally Posted by Gombado View Post
    John oliver has taught me that you guys got some scary and rather archaic legsl system, all the while not realising its not having the desired effect (which i wssume is less crime, although at times it looks as if the goal is to make the companies that run the prisons very rich)

I wont bring gun control into dis but the violent (gun infused) culture is a big reason you have one of the highest numbers of adults incarcerated.
    It's also an overwillingness to imprison over other forms of punishment/rehabilitation. As you mentioned, there's money in running prisons and using prisoners for labor. Gotta make that unappealing to start.

10+ Year Old Account
    For a supposedly first class country, America's justice and government systems are about as corrupted and evil as any 3rd world shit hole.