Deleted

Need Advice On Starting With Running (shoes)

So I decided I want to get loose some weight and gain some endurance...I want to start with just running and drinking water to get used to exercising and afterwords go to the gym to "tighten" up.

So some information on me incase it is relevant:
    -Male
    -23 yo
    -Weight: 105Kg / 231.485 lbs
    -Size: 192cm / 6.29921 feet (not sure if I'm using the right measurement for US)

So I'm just slightly overweight, but the belly is bothersome enough. Atm I want to work towards 85kg and maybe gain weight again but with muscles instead of fat. But that's another story for when I actually keep running towards to the loss xD

So the biggest advice I want from you guys is what the best running shoes are that I can buy. From most people I hear Nike running shoes are really good but when I start browsing you literally get overwhelmed with the amount of different running shoes. So can you guys advice any shoes from Nike that would fit my needs? I run mostly on the street or some dirt/stone forest trails. At the moment it is cold and wet so the shoes should be waterproof in the sense that my feet don't freeze if I hit a puddle by accident.

I don't mind a higher price shoe as I found out first hand that running with crappy shoes not only hurts, it demotivates to keep going. If you are from the EU feel free to link some shoes from shops, if your from the US or elsewhere a name will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Aeilon View Post
    So I decided I want to get loose some weight and gain some endurance...I want to start with just running and drinking water to get used to exercising and afterwords go to the gym to "tighten" up.

So some information on me incase it is relevant:
    -Male
    -23 yo
    -Weight: 105Kg / 231.485 lbs
    -Size: 192cm / 6.29921 feet (not sure if I'm using the right measurement for US)

So I'm just slightly overweight, but the belly is bothersome enough. Atm I want to work towards 85kg and maybe gain weight again but with muscles instead of fat. But that's another story for when I actually keep running towards to the loss xD

So the biggest advice I want from you guys is what the best running shoes are that I can buy. From most people I hear Nike running shoes are really good but when I start browsing you literally get overwhelmed with the amount of different running shoes. So can you guys advice any shoes from Nike that would fit my needs? I run mostly on the street or some dirt/stone forest trails. At the moment it is cold and wet so the shoes should be waterproof in the sense that my feet don't freeze if I hit a puddle by accident.

I don't mind a higher price shoe as I found out first hand that running with crappy shoes not only hurts, it demotivates to keep going. If you are from the EU feel free to link some shoes from shops, if your from the US or elsewhere a name will do just fine.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo

Form is the most important thing when it comes to running. You want to make sure that you are midfoot/forefoot striking. do not heel strike. Some of the stuff in the video might go over your head but its important to always work on your form.

For shoes its pretty hard to go wrong. If youre just starting out I wouldn't recommend dropping $100+ on some sweet minimalistic trail running shoes. Id get a basic running shoe with a little bit of a cushion in it. Nikes are fine. Ive got some flashy neon blue/green addidas that work pretty well. Don't get chuck taylors lol. Youre looking for a comfortable tennis shoe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ellieg View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSIDRHUWlVo

Form is the most important thing when it comes to running. You want to make sure that you are midfoot/forefoot striking. do not heel strike. Some of the stuff in the video might go over your head but its important to always work on your form.

For shoes its pretty hard to go wrong. If youre just starting out I wouldn't recommend dropping $100+ on some sweet minimalistic trail running shoes. Id get a basic running shoe with a little bit of a cushion in it. Nikes are fine. Ive got some flashy neon blue/green addidas that work pretty well. Don't get chuck taylors lol. Youre looking for a comfortable tennis shoe.
    Great video

Still hoping someone can advice good running shoes as I have "delicate" feet. :P

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    http://www.runningwarehouse.com/LearningCenter/?show=LC

There's a lot of marketing and science and in-between when it comes to running shoes so there's a lot of bullshit to sift through. That video for example. Right now the vast majority of shoes have more than a centimeter of heel-toe drop and actively encourage you to heel-strike. If it works for you, don't fight it. Some of the best distance runners in the world are heel-strikers. Barefoot running on man-made surfaces is plain asinine in my opinion.

But let's get started...

Runners are typically lumped into three categories. If your ankles roll inward a lot during foot-strike, then you're an pronator. If they roll inward slightly, you're probably a neutral runner. If your ankle rolls outward, then you are a supinator.

Note that a neutral foot looks slightly pronated. Most people have neutral feet despite what they might think, but the more overweight you are the greater the likelihood of some pronation. This stems from collapsed arches, which we'll get into in a bit.

Different shoe brands have slightly different names for the shoe types that deal with ankle roll. If you see shoes which are simply labeled "cushioned" or "neutral," then those are geared toward people who have a neutral gait or supinate. "Support" or "guidance" shoes are meant for people who pronate. "Motion control" or "stability" shoes are for people who severely over-pronate. How these shoes are constructed are for the most part similar, but stiffer (and heavier) materials are used in the midsole of shoes designed to prevent over-pronation. This less compressible material is often gray in appearance, though not always.

Now about that arch support. Arches can be normal, high or shallow (flat.) Once again, people might think they have flat arches when they actually have normal arches. Most running shoe specialty stores will have a pressure sensitive pad or even a treadmill that will help determine your arch type and even your pronation levels. Salespeople can generally identify all of that just be looking at your feet while you stand/walk/run too. The pronunciation of the arch in the footbed of a shoe depends mostly on the model of shoe itself. Typically a running shoe brand will have shoes in all combinations of pronation and arch type. Arch position matters too. When an arch is too far forward or back, that's one of the first things I notice.

Cushioning and other features. Decent current model running shoes start at around US$90 and they can get up past US$150. I almost never recommend the most expensive shoes because all the extra features also make those shoes heavier. Almost all running shoes receive iterative updates on a yearly basis. You can save up to around 50% buying a shoe that was released in 2014. The differences won't be significant.

Overall fit. When buying athletic shoes, you almost always end up going up a half or even full size. I wear US men's size 11 in dressy shoes, which is EU44-EU44.5. In running shoes I'd wear US 11.5 or EU44.5-45 depending on make/model. You want there to be about 2cm or 0.5in of space between the tip of you longest toe and the front edge of the toebox. You also want the front/forefoot to be fairly roomy. Your toes should have ample wiggle room. The heel and forefoot should be lace down so there's no slippage, but shouldn't feel tight. If there's any discomfort at all, then either you need to loosen the laces or the shoe is too narrow in places. Shoes can also come in different widths, but most stores only stock D or EE. If you have really wide feet, you're going to face limited choices.

Trends: Running is gaining in popularity, and shoe brands are capitalizing on that fact with marketing. Minimalist shoes were all the rage in the past half decade, but many people eventually realized that minimalist/barefoot running is not so great on man-made asphalt/roads. The only time I wear minimalist shoes is during light trail running and on rubberized tracks. Maximalist shoes are the current marketing ploy. I've seen shoes with midsoles that are 4cm thick from Hoka One One. Again, some people may like this style of shoe (hey they make you taller,) but they are less stable and might increase ankle strain. Zero-drop, minimal drop shoes are also gaining in popularity, and this is one trend I like very much. These shoes help promote a midfoot strike because the heel and forefoot are automatically on the same plane when your foot is planted. I don't recommend these shoes for novice runners because they work your calves very hard

I can suggest some shoes, but you're best off finding a local running shoe store and trying a bunch of shoes on. In general I see you wearing a traditional neutral or support shoe with a wide platform. Something like the Brooks Defyance 9 or Brooks Adrenaline GTS 15. Asics, Saucony, New Balance, Nike, Mizuno, Adidas are also big names in the running world. I wear Altra Instinct 3.0s these days, which are zero-drop shoes, but I wore several generations of Brooks Defyance before.

Deleted
    I have been running for 10 years, with just two periods of injuries. The reason I kept it that low is partly due to my choice of shoes. It is the most important equipment for a runner and if you want to run regularly, then this should not be the place where you decide to play cheap.

You don't need to buy the most expensive shoes on the market, but you need to find the shoe that fits you best. Regardless if you are a pronator, a neutral runner or a suprinator, you need a shoe suited for you. But then there are also other factors you need to think of.
    You weigh 95 kg and are planning to run on asphalt. Therefore I would recommend a shoe with good shock absorption, else you might run into a knee injury.

I started off with New Balance and later switched to Asics. I have been running with Asics for the last 6 years. I run 2000-2500 km a year, so I switch them once every year and a half. That has become my mark of choice and I am not likely to change.
    I never heard much good about Nike, but if you have, I believe in your word. But you should not set yourself up for one specific brand.

The best advice that I can give you, is to go down into a sports shop and ask them to guide you in your choice of shoe. They should have the competence to make sure you get your hands on a shoe that fits you.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm shocked your running shoes last that long. The common suggestion is to replace your running shoes every 500 miles or so. It's not necessarily the outsole tread that goes first, but the cushioned midsole that pancakes over time. Many newer, lighter shoes also skimp on the blown or vulcanized rubber, and expose more soft EVA material, which further reduces durability.

2500km is a huge distance to run in a year. The OP is more likely to run 500km in a year, if that.
    Last edited by kidsafe; 2015-12-07 at 04:25 PM.

Deleted
    well that is my experience

Last time I changed shoes was in June, where I changed from Asics nimbus to... a new pair of nimbus. Best shoe I ever had, and it lasted since christmas 2014. Though I have also tryed to throw out a pair of shoes after 500 km or so. They were not worn down, they just dident fit me well enough and continued feeling uncomfortable.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    Before switching to Altras and their zero-drop philosophy, I used four generations of Brooks Defyance. Before that I used four or five generations of Asics Gel Kayanos. I've tried many other shoes from different brands, but honestly it's just down to whatever shoe conforms to your footshape, arch-type/position above all else. Cushioning is important to a point, but the vast majority of shoes out there have ample cushioning.

7+ Year Old Account
    I suggest you to buy Nike Air Zoom Vomero 9.

I think the two most popular running shoes are Asics and Nike. Nike is definitely the most popular and dominant right now. I've had Asics and Brooks before and right now I'm really liking my Nike lunarglides. But you need to buy the right type of shoe that corresponds with your foot arch. I also recommend replacing the soles with a pair of Dr Scholls inserts.

Just some advice on 'starting to run and then lifting later at the gym' mentality. I had the same idea when I was younger and wanted to shed off pounds and gain that lean ripped look. I ran for a couple years never touching weights whatsoever and it was a bad decision and you'll just look super scrawny. The thing is running is extremely stressful on your feet and joints. While running is extremely effective at burning calories, you need to build some muscles in your legs to support it as well. In addition, you'll shed pounds faster by doing both cardio and weights. Ever see those pictures of Olympic marathoners? They run miles and miles everyday. Now compare that to a picture of Usain Bolt and other sprinters. They do weights and do high intensity cardio.

Atm I emphasize my running as well as my weight lifting. You'll get that lean ripped look. Those huge bulky body builders only emphasize weight lifting.
    Last edited by Sonatine185; 2015-12-19 at 12:20 AM.