Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ...

Re: Been hacked and ended up better off?

I was hacked about 6 months ago or so. I got quite a few extras back.

Here is why. I had, at that time, 3 level 80s, all with a variety of items and gold. The hacker sold all of my equipment they could on all 3, took all valuable items and gold, and put it on one of my characters. They then transfered that character off of the server (although I caught them in the middle of it all).

Blizz doesn't seem to delete items on characters when hacked, only restore them. So all of the items they had taken from my other two 80s, stayed on the one that got transfered when it was returned. Then, the items that had dissapeared from my other two, were returned.
    So basically, I had several stacks of gems on Char A. The hacker moved them to Char B and transfered. Char B was returned, with gems still on them. Char A was returned to how he had been prior to the hacking, when he still had gems. End result, duplicate stacks of gems.
    This happened to a lot of the stuff I had and in the end, made me about 3k gold richer.

Quote Originally Posted by Eldrea
    Did you seriously give your account name/password because of an e-mail? How many warnings against this kind of stuff does blizzard need to make?

Not trying to be rude, but these kinds of fake e-mails would stop if they didn't actually work....
    no, i did not give out my account name or password. I'm not that computer illiterate. I read the email, and then opened a ticket to a GM to find out wtf was up. Having gone back and re-read it, and again, not clicking the link, giving out info, etc. I simply cancelled my ticket to the GMs. It was a simple thank you to those who gave me shit and made me stop for a sec and pull my head out of my ass. Its been a hectic week and I wasn't entirely thinking clearly.

Curse.com is safe?
    No it ain't... not even close..a hacker tried taking me on.. my authenticator stopped him.
    Curse.com is the cause.

As a closer to this thread, I would like to thank everyone who shared experiences, advice, and constructive criticism.

The blizzard care package: Not a gimme. It is an option. You can choose either a full account restore, or the care package. The care package consist of 2.5k gold, 2 frost for every day you've had to wait, and 10 triumph for every day you've waited.

More info posted on http://www.worldofraids.com/topic/15...cked-accounts/

I got my gear back from blizz Saturday night.

Again, ty to the mmo-champ community for your help and support.

Its not the addon code that causes you to be hacked, its the auto extractor that comes with it. If you use the curse client all you download is the addon code directly into the correct wow folders.
    Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly

http://maggeddon.blogspot.com/
    http://twitter.com/#!/JSMcGough

Belive it or not , but I was into some big mess.

It all started when I lvled my dk as soon as wotlk came, I was lvl 75 and managed somehow to get hacked by a gold seller. And it wasnt my main account so I used another one with all my 70's while waiting for blizzard to respond to my emails. My dk was almost online 24/7, and after 2 weeks when Blizzard responded they gave me my account back. On the account I had so much mats that it was unbeliveable. Titanium bars sold for 40g/ea on my realm that time. And I had more than 50 stacks of those in guild bank they made, and then I had my bags filled up with Scarlet Rubies, and all other gems and more bank tabs filled with titanium bar. I also had 17k gold and it was 9k in the guild bank, They dinged my toon to 76 and a half and my mailbox was FULL of auctions sold, I ended up buying epic flying for all my alts and my friends also ended up buying myself the crafts (ilvl 200 crafts which was pretty nice at that time) and ofc the Titansteel destroyer for my warrior which was like Woah since the best weps u could obtain was 213.

I ended up with alot gold left which I actually spent on alot stuff. But those crafts helped me alot!

So im happy those g sellers hacked me, their loss

Quote Originally Posted by Smokin
    Have been a long-time lurker on these forums, registered just for this topic.

I was hacked a few months ago. Was taking a month or so break from playing, and my roommate told me my toon was online. I tried to log in, and they hadn't changed the password, only added an authenticator. I sent Blizz an email, and then called them. Got my pass changed, and set my battle.net to a new email.

Now, the best part is, this guy had put my account on a 1-month recurring subscription. Let's just say it still is. ;-) So yeah, I got hacked and now play WoW for free.

Also, only a couple items were missing, but I got them back.. none of the empty bag/bank horror stories you tend to hear.

if the hacker call his bank the bank will tell blizzard to pay the money back and blizzard will froze your account. So if your smart remove the credit card asap

I got hacked, lost 2k gold, a few badges, and the week of playing time to get stuff restored.

After I got my stuff back, I had 10k gold, 200 triumph badges across 4 characters, and 40 frost badges across 4 characters.

Didn't turn out too bad
    I run a satire / humor blog site very The Onion-esque. It's like taking trolling to another level.

www.spinatlantic.com

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Izhara
    The emblems and gold are part of Blizzard's new account restoration service--for every day over so long you have to wait, you get X frost emblems and Y gold.
    Is this actually true?

Someone hack me plz!!! XD
    Facilis Descensus Averno

Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Arganis
    Is this actually true?

Someone hack me plz!!! XD
    No it's not.

Blizzard posted infomation about this at an earlier point. You can either choose to have your character restored, but it might take anywhere up to a month OR you can choose to immediately get the restoration package (which includes emblems and gold) in order to get you playing again straight away, but you won't get back any lost items and it won't reverse any changes the hacker made to your account (unlearning professions etc...).

It's a choice. Some people will find that they are in a Hardcore Raiding guild for example, and could probally get most of their gear back very quickly and need to start raiding again immediately, whilst others would prefer to get their character restored to exactly the way it was.

and for the record, you have to specify whether you want account resto or the care package when you first report, not really something they are gonna go back and do later on.

i just recieved my gear back friday night, and the only emblems and gold I got were what the hacker stole from me.

Quote Originally Posted by shogo238

for the record, it was from @blizzard.com mail. then again.. other than the donotreply@blizzard.com mails i recieved before confirming changes to my battle.net account, the other emails all say blizzard entertainment in the "from" section...

hrmm

thanks guys, for making my doubt myself and take a 2nd look. saved me possible trouble down the road.

just as a fail safe, i'll give them a call tommorow and see wtf is up with this whole crazy business.
    Its vary easy to change the "from" email.
    I wont give you the details, but its common knowledge for IT people.
    What you've just wrote is one of the most insanely idiotic things I've ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response was there anything that could even be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this forum is now dumber for having read it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul!

Quote Originally Posted by GISP
    Its vary easy to change the "from" email.
    I wont give you the details, but its common knowledge for IT people.
    yeah, im familiar with the concept. A buddy of mine showed me how to use DoS one time to do something similar, send a message and put what ever you want as the who its form part..

lets just say I was "sending" myself messages from the future for about a week until i figured out he was messing with me.

over all, it was a good refresher on account security and how to spot phishing.