Page 1 of 8
... LastLast

DC universe online is worse than wow

posted this on the DC universe online site and they didnt like it but maybe a less biased group will accept:

hello i bought this game yesterday in hopes that there is a game better than wow and more fun. i have to admit this is a fun game for the first few levels. then i reached level 17, the enemies stunlock you and you take too much damage. i tried respecing twice and i still take too much damage. thought i would make a new character but playing the same content exactly the same doesnt seem flattering.

i guess since questing is too hard i will have fun in pvp. my teammates dont join the 5v5 and its 5v1, you cant control your character at all, worse than a wow rogue just stunlocking you. its like 5 rogues stun locking you and you CAN break CC, just to get CC again.

well there is dungeons, i guess i will try that. from the two respecs before, i treid tanking to reduce the damage. so in dungeons, you either have to hold shift the entire time while tanking, or just get hit as hard as a dps or healer gets hit? i dont understand the threat also, one aoe attack as the tank and everyone in the room attacks you. perhaps if i could understand the tooltips for the abilities i could do better. some just tell me 'increases your defense or toughness' and i dont know by how much or for how long. some buttons just light up for no reason even though i have no power. another problem is the power, you have to attack in order to get it? seems close to warhammer and we all know how sucessful that game was.

this is the most antisocial game there is. its hard to open your friends list, its hard to whisper people, its hard to chat, and its hard to see what level other players are. i admire the fact that people can help each other in quests by damaging the enemy, but i also dont get why people can steal your quest items while you are fighting the enemies around it.

the chat window, seems like one out of 5 topics on this forum complain about it, so i do not need to describe it.

the ui is meant for consoles, if they could only allow us to press a button so a cursor appears that would be brilliant. being able to highlight things without turing your entire body or click players would be great.

the 15 dollar per month is pretty insane. guild wars and wow have so much more content than this, yet guild wars is generous enough to be free and wow is the same price. it seems like when you want to compete with another company, you reduce the price.

there are annoying glitches where you cant talk to people in your group or in your league which are probably going to get fixed, along with some sound problems and minimizing. although these problems seem like they should have been fixed before release as they are so simply.

based on the skill trees, it seems like no matter what, you will have more than 6 skills yet you can only display 6 at a time. doesnt make much sense.

the controls and combat need to be adjusted. sometimes my spells are just unresponsive and i dont know how long enemy spells(and my own) are so i guess...

not everything is bad though, i like how the first month is free, the graphics are great and it performs well, the voice acting is nice, customization is the best ive seen, but thats about it.

im not hating the game on purpose, its hard to like this game because its feels so much like a ps3 port with a very bad UI and missing features for the same price as a game with so much more. just wanted to give the developers something to consider or else they will lose people.

Hmm, as i suspected, but tbh rift seemed better to me before i saw this, i wanna wait for the free trials of that more than any dcuo, btw, does anyone know if rift has any thing resembling:
    mounts
    proffesions
    aheivments (spelling FWT)
    multi chars on same realm
    minipets
    talents
    vehicle style quests
    those little non essential things that make it a good game
    Dwarfs, gods among humanoids, giants among... gnomes...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hitch-hikers' Guide To The Galaxy: Prostetnic Vogon Jeltz
    "Oh freddled gruntbuggly/thy micturations are to me/As plurdled gabbleblotchits on a lurgid bee.
    Groop I implore thee, my foonting turlingdromes. And hooptiously drangle me with crinkly bindlewurdles,
    Or I will rend thee in the gobberwarts with my blurglecruncheon, see if I don't!"

by the sound of it one of the main problems for you is that you are trying to play this game as if it is wow, don't. Stop rushing things, pay attention and take it easy.

I havent played DCUO - but as i said, this is what i read out of ur own thread.
    "Bill Nye: So Todd I got an offer for you. You and me. Any time. Any place. Debating science mano- a-mano. I'll bring the facts, and you bring the Vaseline. Because your ass is gonna fucking need it when I'm done whipping."

Mr Eames: "You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by the lich knough View Post
    Hmm, as i suspected, but tbh rift seemed better to me before i saw this, i wanna wait for the free trials of that more than any dcuo, btw, does anyone know if rift has any thing resembling:
    mounts
    proffesions
    aheivments (spelling FWT)
    multi chars on same realm
    minipets
    talents
    vehicle style quests
    those little non essential things that make it a good game
    Mounts? Yes, several types at least from what I saw. There is are 60% mounts at level 20 and 110% mounts at level 40.

Professions? Definitely. Very similar to WoW professions from what I saw, though 'Outfitter' is basically Tailoring + Leathworking combined. Many MMOs do that.

Achievements? Yes, using almost the exact same Achievement interface WoW uses too. :P

Multiple Characters on the Same Realm? Yes. The realms are called "Shards" in Rift. I'm not sure what the limit is, but it is definitely more than 1 (I had 2). I'd imagine, based on the way they were arranged around the screen, the limit is either 5 or 10. I can't see why you'd really need more than 4 to get all of the classes on one faction or maybe 8 if you wanted every class on both factions.

Minipets? Yes.

Talents? Yes. There are eight different "Talent trees" (called Souls) for each of the game's four classes. You have to pick three different Souls to use at any one point in time. This leads to an absolutely absurd amount of combinations and some really cool synergy - being Chloromancer (Healing Mage Soul) with Archon (Support Mage Soul) with something like Elementalist as your third Soul to solo better (Elementalists get an Elemental pet and have good AoE and DPS). You can swap your Souls around and respec at will in major cities, and eventually you unlock all eight Souls for your class (via quests), so you can swap everything around when you want. This results in much, much less re-rerolling than WoW.

Vehicle Style Quests? No, at least none that I saw, but I was only very early into the game (had a level 16 Defiant and a level 14 Guardian)

Non-essential things that make it a good game? Yes, there are some, I don't know if there are enough or if they last (obviously, nobody knows how end-game is yet, level cap was only 27 out of 50 in the last beta). Artifacts are really cool though, they're found either via Rift rewards or as little glowing objects scattered all over the world and give cool Lore tidbits. Once you gather all the artifacts in a collection, you can turn them in at your capital city for experience and gold (and probably other rewards at higher levels).

Obviously, nobody knows how endgame PvE or PvP or Raiding will work in Rift, but honestly, so far, I'm pretty impressed. You could call it Aion without the grind or a different version of WoW or whatever, but it is still fairly fun.

(And I realize this post is pretty offtopic, but the OP -was- comparing MMOs.)
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Deleted
    Agree with OP 100% and as I stated elsewhere this is a CONSOLE game not a PC game..

you do have healing classes and tank class, but everyone just seems to do their own thing in instance...

Its a beat'em up, with a slight MMO feel, the MMO feel is kinda like joining a left 4 dead game..due to having no real control over the chat box in game making it feel clunky and having to open windows that cover you whole screen to do anything....

I wish I bought it for the ps3 now...

People keep saying stop comparing this or any New MMO to wow, but wow set the precedent and got the basic's spot on even on launch day..and that's how things progress, great idea's are copied and wow copied from a few earlier mmo's..
    Last edited by mmoc411c38c086; 2011-01-15 at 10:06 AM.

Just because you [SUCK] and mobs are [HITTING HARDER] doesn't mean DCUO [SUCK] Sorry.

DCUO is a big threat to WoW to me - personally i quit WoW over this game.

DCUO is fun, people who are a big fan of comics or want to be recognized by others unlike wow everyone looks the same, should 100% try this.

Plus, its fresh, it's been released for 3 days now.

another problem is the power, you have to attack in order to get it? seems close to warhammer and we all know how sucessful that game was.
    You have no idea what you're talking about

Deleted
    So in your quest of finding a non-biased forum community you went to WoW fansite?

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    So in your quest of finding a non-biased forum community you went to WoW fansite?
    No, he clearly came here to do this;
    just wanted to give the developers something to consider or else they will lose people.
    I'm sure the DCUO devs are making the required adjustments as we speak, due to the fact that they're all scanning a WoW fansite for feedback

Quote Originally Posted by freakyfreak View Post
    or want to be recognized by others unlike wow everyone looks the same, should 100% try this.
    Here, I lol'ed

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by General_Typhus View Post
    No, he clearly came here to do this;

I'm sure the DCUO devs are making the required adjustments as we speak, due to the fact that they're all scanning a WoW fansite for feedback
    "posted this on the DC universe online site and they didnt like it but maybe a less biased group will accept:"

Less biased group = wow fansite forums (here)

Do you read?

10+ Year Old Account
    This game is going to flop like Hellgate: London. If I'm not mistaken DCUO has a similar subscription plan like HG:L did which was a life-time paid game time for a fee of ~150$. When a game resorts to that, it means that Sony will eventually have the game go FTP or they have doubts and the game will flop and fuck over the people who bought into their scheme.

This game is going to fail like the rest, its not even going to compete with WoW.

I want to like this game... it has some cool stuff. The action gameplay is pretty good for some combat styles (though some aren't that great).

I generally don't mind "consolified" games on average, but in this case, it really works against the PC version. It's rather tough to use and navigate for someone used to a game like WoW.

I'm really sad that you can't customize your character's physical characteristics. There's three highly distinct body types and everyone has the same face. The personalities are fun at first but they're so stylized and identical with anyone who chooses the same. I wish they had at least added some sliders so there could be some animation blending, seems a minimal effort to add some sense of uniqueness to your character.

At start the costume options seem limiting, but as you play there seems to be a large amount of stuff you can collect, so that's not too bad.

I like that there's a lot of voice work, and Mark Hamil did a badass job voicing the Joker.

I'd actually like to test this out on PS3 though :P. If it works well there I might give it a go.

Quote Originally Posted by Howdyho View Post
    "posted this on the DC universe online site and they didnt like it but maybe a less biased group will accept:"

Less biased group = wow fansite forums (here)

Do you read?
    No, the fat has begun to encroach on my eyes so I can only read intermittent sections of forums posts

/sigh.

DCUO is an Action MMO and as such is crafted after Action RPG games. It controls very similarly to say, Batman: Arkham Asylum on PC. But I'm sure the OP did absolutely no research ahead of time and just assumed it would be cookie cutter MMO fodder. It's not.

Combat is fine if you play it like an action game. Which means trying to avoid getting hit at all by enemies whenever possible. Shift + Directional button = Roll out of the way of Dmg. If you can't roll, Shift = Block. There's also the ability to learn the enemy pattern and use certain attacks to interrupt theirs.

PvP specifically works in a Rock, Paper, Scissors manner just not in the typical MMO way. Combos > Block Breakers > Blocks > Combos. CC's are a problem though last I played (Closed Beta).

$15 a month is standard. Dev's claim it'll have small content updates every month (free) and larger content updates in the vein of Storylines every 3 months (free).. so there should be much more to do in the game than there is currently in a relatively short amount of time. Keep in mind the game already has 3 or 4 end game Raids and 2 Tiers of both PvP and PvE gear.

Your character has two roles. DPS and either Tank, Healer, or Controller. Each role has a separate action bar and in cases where you may have a special buff (Stealth for example) you get an additional bar for that as well.

Chat box does indeed need work but people just talk in Party or in DCUO's version of Trade Chat.

It's a good game. Great to some, bad to others but overall it's well made and does exactly what it set out to do. Be an Action based MMO within the DC Universe. However people would do well to research games more thoroughly before making a purchase rather than buying a game day 1 with little to no research done, then berating it because it didn't turn out as expected.

Oh.. and I haven't purchased DCUO yet. I'll probably pick it up a few months from now after I've gotten my WoW toons geared fairly well and settled.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree the bad things i have found.

1. It was clearly not designed for pc users as shown by the press escape to open menu, can't click on things, hold left mouse down 5 times to perform special attack. hold e down to interact instead of just right clicking if it was for a pc you have to hold e down for a couple of seconds to interact with world objects or even talk to people....

2. The spells are not very fun as fire i got 4 very similar abilities which was to cause damage to surrounding enemies....

3. When trying to interact with a quest objective you have to fight the surrounding mobs this gives other players the chance to just run in and steal it while you are attacking the mobs...it can be difficuilt when there is 5 mobs guarding one thing with a very fast respawn time -.-

4. crowd controll...to get out of crowd controll you need to press shift...the majority of spells have a a short 1-2 second crowd controll effect which means when fighting you are pretty much constantly pressing shift while taking damage and then enenmy just reapplies the crowd controll effect. Who wins basically is who can get in the most crowd controll effects.

5. The quests...some of them are fun but the vast majority is kill mobs,interact with object, rescue citizen the only really fun quest was the movement races...

6. The character customisation isn't anywhere near as good as champions online..the only really good costumes are from the inspired menu but then you just look like your fav hero/villian..., however this may be due to you gaining armour when your each the level cap... so it isn't really needed...

7. Quest story...their isn't much background information given in the game it expects you to know all the villians and "lore" from other things which may be a problem if you want to use dcuo to get into the storyline...

8. The graphics and videos ettings are not as good as i expected them to be...their is either low,medium and high for like 5 options with some of them not having the high setting available , their isn't even an AA setting so i had to force it through the video driver

9. This may be a good and a bad point and dependign fi you choose a pvp server...their is no seperate zones so to say for different levels...so on one place could be level 4 villians leveling and around the corner level 20 heroes , on the pvp server as their isn't any none contested zones such as 1-11 in wow it means high levels can gank the hell out of you and you can't do anything to them...

Quote Originally Posted by Jest View Post
    /sigh.

DCUO is an Action MMO and as such is crafted after Action RPG games. It controls very similarly to say, Batman: Arkham Asylum on PC. But I'm sure the OP did absolutely no research ahead of time and just assumed it would be cookie cutter MMO fodder. It's not.

Combat is fine if you play it like an action game. Which means trying to avoid getting hit at all by enemies whenever possible. Shift + Directional button = Roll out of the way of Dmg. If you can't roll, Shift = Block. There's also the ability to learn the enemy pattern and use certain attacks to interrupt theirs.

PvP specifically works in a Rock, Paper, Scissors manner just not in the typical MMO way. Combos > Block Breakers > Blocks > Combos. CC's are a problem though last I played (Closed Beta).

$15 a month is standard. Dev's claim it'll have small content updates every month (free) and larger content updates in the vein of Storylines every 3 months (free).. so there should be much more to do in the game than there is currently in a relatively short amount of time. Keep in mind the game already has 3 or 4 end game Raids and 2 Tiers of both PvP and PvE gear.

Your character has two roles. DPS and either Tank, Healer, or Controller. Each role has a separate action bar and in cases where you may have a special buff (Stealth for example) you get an additional bar for that as well.

Chat box does indeed need work but people just talk in Party or in DCUO's version of Trade Chat.

It's a good game. Great to some, bad to others but overall it's well made and does exactly what it set out to do. Be an Action based MMO within the DC Universe. However people would do well to research games more thoroughly before making a purchase rather than buying a game day 1 with little to no research done, then berating it because it didn't turn out as expected.

Oh.. and I haven't purchased DCUO yet. I'll probably pick it up a few months from now after I've gotten my WoW toons geared fairly well and settled.
    This. Seems like you were looking for another WoW. Big mistake. BIG.

/sigh here too.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post

2. The spells are not very fun as fire i got 4 very similar abilities which was to cause damage to surrounding enemies....

not that big of a deal but i agree. as a fire power villain, i have one ability that 'puts me on fire and burns enemies around me' i have another one thats exactly the same but doesnt set myself on fire, and another that has a cast time that only puts the enemies in front of me on fire. the first two have no cooldown so whats the point of the third not the mention the second.

---------- Post added 2011-01-15 at 11:19 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post

1. It was clearly not designed for pc users as shown by the press escape to open menu, can't click on things, hold left mouse down 5 times to perform special attack. hold e down to interact instead of just right clicking if it was for a pc you have to hold e down for a couple of seconds to interact with world objects or even talk to people....

3. When trying to interact with a quest objective you have to fight the surrounding mobs this gives other players the chance to just run in and steal it while you are attacking the mobs...it can be difficuilt when there is 5 mobs guarding one thing with a very fast respawn time -.-

4. crowd controll...to get out of crowd controll you need to press shift...the majority of spells have a a short 1-2 second crowd controll effect which means when fighting you are pretty much constantly pressing shift while taking damage and then enenmy just reapplies the crowd controll effect. Who wins basically is who can get in the most crowd controll effects.

5. The quests...some of them are fun but the vast majority is kill mobs,interact with object, rescue citizen the only really fun quest was the movement races...

6. The character customisation isn't anywhere near as good as champions online..the only really good costumes are from the inspired menu but then you just look like your fav hero/villian..., however this may be due to you gaining armour when your each the level cap... so it isn't really needed...

7. Quest story...their isn't much background information given in the game it expects you to know all the villians and "lore" from other things which may be a problem if you want to use dcuo to get into the storyline...

8. The graphics and videos ettings are not as good as i expected them to be...their is either low,medium and high for like 5 options with some of them not having the high setting available , their isn't even an AA setting so i had to force it through the video driver

9. This may be a good and a bad point and dependign fi you choose a pvp server...their is no seperate zones so to say for different levels...so on one place could be level 4 villians leveling and around the corner level 20 heroes , on the pvp server as their isn't any none contested zones such as 1-11 in wow it means high levels can gank the hell out of you and you can't do anything to them...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jest View Post
    /sigh.

so you are saying that its a good game even though you only played the beta? you have no idea what you are talking about

10+ Year Old Account
    i'm not much into wearing bright tights and stuff.... so no DC universe for me ;p

and i mostly pvp, so no rift for me either, since peopel say its pvp sucks.

i'll wait for GW2 which seems promissing.

and of course Darm Millenium!! 8D since warhammer was like the best game ever 8D

The Secret World has an awesome setting, but skill-leveling? no thx. not a fan of grinding.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremynative View Post
    not that big of a deal but i agree. as a fire power villain, i have one ability that 'puts me on fire and burns enemies around me' i have another one thats exactly the same but doesnt set myself on fire, and another that has a cast time that only puts the enemies in front of me on fire. the first two have no cooldown so whats the point of the third not the mention the second.

---------- Post added 2011-01-15 at 11:19 AM ----------

so you are saying that its a good game even though you only played the beta? you have no idea what you are talking about
    Why has he no idea what he's talking about? He didn't say anything incorrect. We get it, you're here to be mad and flame a game that hasn't turned out exactly like you expected it to (judging by what you are complaining about you just wanted another WoW).