Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    as people have mentioned, it works like this
    Tbc: Races
    Wotlk: Class
    Cata: Races
    Ascenion: Class

So next expansion (the one after cataclysm) will provide a new class or two.

New tank/healer only class.
    Tank uses Intellect.
    Plate armour.

Quote Originally Posted by Imtala View Post
    I think we'd do well with a new healing class.
    we have 4,that's kinda enough

Quote Originally Posted by Party Wounds View Post
    Balancing is way harder than people think. If it was easy, that would of been done ages ago and we would have more classes. Most people underestimate the time and work it takes to get everything to work and the time it takes to fix it all. I don't feel bad for people who complain about the game and say "gg blizz you messed up again".
    A million times this.

Everyone thinks they've got all the answers when it comes to balance, but MOST ideas I see have some pretty obvious shortcomings. Generally people only look at their class and their playstyle, and don't realize what negative consequences a certain change might have on other apsects of the game (The big one is PvP vs PvE).

A game like WoW, which has millions of possible interactions, is VERY difficult to balance. Blizzard has some of the best game designers in the industry working for them. You can't do it better, trust me.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghier View Post
    New races are cool but the classes are still the same. When wotlk came out the first thing I did was make a DK and level it to 80. I had already played every other class extensively by then. I was excited about goblins and I levelled a goblin mage from 1-85 but its still a mage. I also wasnt subscribed for half of wotlk so I shouldnt be surprised that im super bored with WoW right now.
    There are 10 classes already, with 30 different spec choices. Out of these 30 spec combos, a lot of them are unbalanced, and have many major issues. It's logical to try and get as close to balance as you can without adding more broken and unbalanced mechanics to the mix.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Quote Originally Posted by sevenbug View Post
    There is 10 class but many different spec.

4 druid ( heal, range dps, melee dps, tank )
    3 pal ( heal, range dps, tank )
    2 dk ( dps, tank )
    2 war ( dps, tank )
    3 chaman ( heal, range dps, range cac )

etc.
    You sir kinda failed. Pala range dps? Chaman 2x range dps?
    Unless you were trollin', then nvm

10+ Year Old Account
    They can never be balanced why try and spend resources on other things

or

We need the classes to be balanced , this can never happen so we will try to get as close as possible and spend lots of resources while doing it.

Just imagine what features could be implemented if the didn't spend time buffing and nerfing classes

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pateuvasiliu View Post
    we have 4,that's kinda enough
    We have 10 dps classes, that's kinda enough

With all the technical issues and balancing issues aside, there just isn't a niche for another class. I've played this game since early vanilla and, honestly, the lack of different classes never crossed my mind. I really think wow is in a good place right now. Even with DKs I never leveled one passed 60. Not that I thought they were bad, just have other classes I'm interested in.

Although, I have to say, if they made another class I hope it starts from lvl 1 like the rest. I didn't like how DKs couldn't experience lower end content.

I am Warlock - Play Free Online Games

99.99% of my posts are done via iPhone. Expect typos as it likes to change my words and doesn't pick up on MMO lingo very well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by h0lyshadow View Post
    Why you're all bound to the current gameplay? New classes can be anything other than dps/healers/tanks.

There's no really reason that every class must be capable of everything, every profession, every role. There's no really reason that everyone is able to achieve whatever in game just putting efforts.

Blizzard should put, instead, some class-based restrictions.

Why we can't have a crafter class? With an in-deep crafting system avalaible only to them? Many people would LOVE to become professional workers to improve business! Being a rich and famous Tailorer doesn't mean only having a Cloak boost enchant.
    Why we can't have an Artist class? We have talked alot of Bards, everyone getting mad yelling about "omg we already got buffer classes". In Ultima Online Musicianship were basically the most beauty and enjoyful skill of the whole game.

For the 3D starter: at the moment, with the current gameplay system, new classes are useless. But adding some REALLY new content to the gameplay would be an epic blizz win, imho. Updating continuosly the same system is causing boredom.
    Oh my god, are you insane? please, think about balancing and about what it would mean to the game, if what you are suggesting came true.. and then go jump of a bridge you moron!

crafter class? artist class? WHAT THE FUCK!? i love ultima online, i really do, but you honestly can't even consider to compare those two, as ultima online doesn't have ANY classes, only SKILLS, lots of them, with totally different purposes each - which is a totally different approach at just about ANYTHING concerning balancing. every player had the chance to choose one or more skills, learn them, drop them again, it was their decision, anytime - but with a fixed class system, you simply can't do the same. you need to keep the classes atleast at a comparable level. thats not even really the same genre we are talking about, WoW isn't a sandbox MMO like UO.. what you are suggesting isn't just adding some new content or some new systems, its about developing a completly new concept for an already existing game with 12mio customers, which is something that CAN'T work and NEVER WILL work. To not only consider, but openly communicate those ideas is so plain stupid... like: "why not implement a heavy mg gunner class, battlefield has those too!" or: "why not add the need to go to the toilet or shower - always worked for the sims!" -_-

Please do me a favor, go play ultima like i do, and leave wow alone.. but please, please, please: stay away from my uo shard...

One could argue that you received both a new race & class in burning crusade. Since before BC was released, only horde could be shaman, and alliance could only be paladin. When BC came out, they released the Blood Elves for the horde, which could be paladin and the Draenei which could be shaman.

10 character slots, 10 classes.

Enough said.

I dont like the idea of adding more classes for multiple reasons

#1 blizzard ran out of unique ability idea's a long time ago and it already feels like everybody has the same abilities with different colored animations

#2 their is only 10 or 25 raid spots and while it is possible to get 1 member of each class in a raid (which should be ideal) this would not be the case with 11 classes.

Honestly I think raid sizes should of been 10-30 that way it would be possible to get one of each and every class/spec in the game
    Then again I also think blizz should give raid leaders a incentive to do just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Disissparta View Post
    New tank/healer only class.
    Tank uses Intellect.
    Plate armour.
    that's the cata pally since retri(dps) sux

Herald of the Titans DiscoGhost's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlapse View Post
    There are a lot of reasons. One is balance. I wasn't around for WotLK, but I've heard the stories about how long it took to get DKs in line.
    and it was veeeerrrryyy annoying. season 5 and 6= dk glads
    You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by godz View Post
    You guys are just plain stupid.. i mean who the fuck doesnt want a new class? who gives a crap if they have to balance it or that we have classes for all roles.. it brings new things to the table.. nobody wants to play a paladin forever or DK.. its just not normal not wanting a new class.. it makes it more fun and exciting to see new abilities and designs
    No, most of us rather take what we have, spread out or play time into a variety of classes we already have (Once again, we have classes, 30 spec combo's and 4 roles).

I would love more classes, 10 more if they could, but then you have to stop and think at what cost will that come, and then most of us realize that it would not be worth rubbing dirt into the wound and unbalancing the game even more. It's the nature of MMORPG's, it's not Blizzards fault, the only way to get closer to balance is homogenization, which when people do they cry, they can at least give themselves a couple of years to catch their breath and catch a break and get things on track before derailing it again. And yeah new abilities and new designs are fun, but not when it unbalances/breaks things.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Quote Originally Posted by h0lyshadow View Post
    Why you're all bound to the current gameplay? New classes can be anything other than dps/healers/tanks.

There's no really reason that every class must be capable of everything, every profession, every role. There's no really reason that everyone is able to achieve whatever in game just putting efforts.

Blizzard should put, instead, some class-based restrictions.

Why we can't have a crafter class? With an in-deep crafting system avalaible only to them? Many people would LOVE to become professional workers to improve business! Being a rich and famous Tailorer doesn't mean only having a Cloak boost enchant.
    Why we can't have an Artist class? We have talked alot of Bards, everyone getting mad yelling about "omg we already got buffer classes". In Ultima Online Musicianship were basically the most beauty and enjoyful skill of the whole game.

For the 3D starter: at the moment, with the current gameplay system, new classes are useless. But adding some REALLY new content to the gameplay would be an epic blizz win, imho. Updating continuosly the same system is causing boredom.
    To many peopel this game isn about raiding

its about just relaxing and playing, and having fun.

I know a mag ethat in his free time he hoards all the gold he can get. Its fun for him to control the AH and spend his non raid tome making as much gold as possible. Him and i have talke several times about a "support" class.

Most peopel have a support toon with gathering professions, why not a class? Would be fun for many and needed by more. I lik ethe idea.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    So some people want a new class because they are bored with the ten that already exist. Exactly how would adding a new class in the era of "bring the player not the class" add to the variety of the game? In order to have a truly unique experience from a new class you need a truly unique class. Let's examine what we have in the game right now:

2 Nature damage casters (Balance and Elemental)
    5 Spell/Physical damage melee (Frost, Unholy, Enhancement, Retribution, and maybe Assassination I don't know if poisons are still as important as they used to be)
    3 Physical damage ranged, with a spell damage oriented spec (Beast Mastery, Marksmanship, Survival)
    3 Spell DoT classes (Shadow, Affliction, and maybe Fire I haven't really played a Mage)
    1 Shield healer (Discipline)
    1 HoT healer (Restoration Druid)
    3 Typical healers (Holy Paladin, Holy Priest, and Restoration Shaman)
    5 Physical melee (Arms, Fury, Feral Cat, Combat, and Subtlety)
    4 Spell nukers (Arcane, Frost, Demonology, and Destruction)
    2 Shield tanks one primarily Physical the other Holy (Protection Warrior and Paladin)
    2 Non-shield tanks (Blood and Feral Bear)

So if you want a new class: think of one that couldn't fit into any of the above classifications, it has to have at least one DPS talent tree, none of its three trees can be buffer/debuffer because that was how Warlocks were originally conceived and they decided they didn't want a class like that, and it has to have at least two and no more than four party/raid buffs that already exist.

This is a very very basic idea of what Blizzard's design philosophy has been for a while. They don't want anyone to have to play a certain class/spec based on the buffs it gives. They don't want any class that can't quest easily on its own (read: buffer/debuffer).

I'm sorry if you feel I mislabeled any of the specs in my list, please don't make that the focus of this post. The point is, there is a reasonably wide variety of roles you can choose from in the game right now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonlapse View Post
    There are lots of ways to improve the game without adding new classes. I'd be more in favor of offering additional character customization than adding new classes.
    ^this.
    What I wouldn't give to be able to customize some old chars a bit more without having to pay 20 euro + it would be nice to get new customization features.

OT: I'm pretty happy with the classes we currently have, since all races have different racials or specialities it doesn't make it feel all the same. I wouldn't really want a new class ingame as this would mean that a lot of players would roll it at the same time (which isn't a problem is it's a hybrid, like Pally or Druid) which would make it harder to find groups. Also I remember how hard it was to find decent DK gear pre-Northrend, a new class means new stats otherwise it would be too similar to what we aleady have, this means implementing new gear and changing certan q-rewards etc for it to work out evenly.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Resies View Post
    There are no niches that need to be filled.
    With just the paladin class, all niches are filled. lol
    I think it comes down more towards what class can you make thats creative and fun.

Personally, I'm still hoping to see more tank classes. I kind of want a melee clothie with a tank spec. >.<